Campagnolo Chorus Component Group

Campagnolo Chorus Component Group

Campagnolo Chorus

[Jan 19, 2007]
Sprocket Spinner

Strength:

Beautiful, rebuildable, all cables route under bar tape for a clean look, 10 sp., reliable crisp shifting

Square taper bb

Only trouble was initial cable stretch, otherwise every shift is bag on. Perhaps a bit louder than Shimano, but completely rebuildable, not disposable. I like that not everyone rides it. Ergo shifters been same for years, proof of a great design, and that touch of carbon looks great, warm on the hands even if its cool out. Anyone looking for quality and have the budget to spend a bit more should seriously consider this group

Shimano Ultegra

[Mar 01, 2001]
Mark Rankenberg

Strength:

The looks, i've replaced the chorus shifters by the record shifters, looks very nice for only 30$ more. A little bit more durable then shimano, 4000 miles with the same brake pads(also ridden in rain). 10sp.
Fast downshifting, 5 in once

The CHAIN!!! It breakes, you should get at least every 1000 miles a new chain. The cable routing, it looks nice but makes sharp turn's and so the cables wear fast and shifting feels "solid". Fast downshifting, in sprints it's difficult to shift one at a time, with the result that you are on the heaviest gear. No 12-23 cassette available. Expensive 10sp chain and cassette. Very flexy front derraileur, it shifts much worse then a shimano front derraileur.

Chorus is as heavy as ultegra, and 200 grams heavier then record and dura-ace. It looks nicer then ultegra and is more durable but works less good. And 10speed is only to tour with and show off, i seriously regret to have bought the 10sp instead of the 9sp. The 9sp group is different then ultegra and almost the same. Record and dura-ace are not worth the extra cost, but money must roll, else it would be not round... 10sp 3 chillis, 9sp 5.

Ultegra the new and old group, XTR and XT

[Nov 29, 2000]
Jon

Strength:

Overall quality, crispness, solid feel... stays hooked up, doesnt need so much fiddling with... the ergo system I like much more than the STI (which I like too)

Price, wierdness like needing a special chaintool : ( nasty looks from folks who think yer a snob

Ive ridden the ultegra and dura ace shimano stuff and i like just fine. It works well... but the campy chorus group that i have on my one rig just feels more solid, just seems to shift more crisply and quickly maybe its just my imagination... but it seems to feel and work better than the comparably priced dura ace group (weighs more I guess but a small deal really) I would recommend it over buying a dura ace group (which i have logged many miles on as well) But thats just one opinion. Happy riding.

shimano 600, Shiman Ultegra, Shiman Dura-Ace

[Nov 07, 2000]
Jerron Atkin

Strength:

First time with Ergo or STI. I went with the Campy Chorus 10spd (and paid the extra $50 for the chain tool). First ride out the shifting was "crisp & clean", and besides a little cable stretch it still is shifting perfect 6 months later. The extra gears are great especially when pushing the big ring or climbing up long hills. Shifting from top to bottom is quick and easy with the thumb shifter. The brakes are adequate for my large body (230lbs) and they respond well when I need to stop quickly. I upgraded to the Record Crank and love the look and feel of it on my bike. I waited 10 years to upgrade my RB-1 and I feel it was worth the wait to go from Suntour Superbe Pro to 2000 Chorus 10 speed.

the brakes could be a little more powerful. Weight on the hubs is a little heavy.

$1,100.00 is a lot to drop on upgrading a bike but worth every penny to get the high quality equipment and perfect shifts every time. I highly recomend this group.

Suntour Superbe Pro, Shimano 600 Ultegra

[Oct 19, 2000]
MANNY

Strength:

QUALITY FINISH, ERGONOMIC DESIGN, CHIC.

STIFF SHIFTING, NEEDS FREQUENT ADJUSTMENT.

I HAD BEEN RIDING DOWNTUBE SHIFTERS FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS. I HAD ULTEGRA STI BUT SOLD AFTER I GAVE UP ROAD RACING.

I WANTED TO GO BACK TO INTEGRATED BRAKE/SHIFTERS. I WAS ONE OF 3 RIDERS IN MY CLUB THAT STILL USED THEM. MY OLD DURA ACE CRANKS DEVELOPED A FATIGUE CRACK, SO I USED THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO CHANGE MY ENTIRE GROUPPO. I ALWAYS LIKED THE ERGONOMICS AND LOOKS OF THE CAMPY ERGO SHIFTERS.

THE GROUPPO IS VERY ATTRACTIVE. THE MACHINING AND FINISH ARE EXCELLENT. THE BRAKE HOODS ARE BULKY ENOUGH TO GIVE YOU A SOLID HOLD. I LIKE THE LOCATION OF THE 'UPSHIFT' LEVERS. THE CABLE ROUTING IS MUCH BETTER THAN ON SHIMANO.

I GOT THE 9-SPD, MAINLY BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO SPEND $50 FOR THE SPECIAL 10-SPD CHAIN REMOVAL TOOL. I SELECTED 53/39 X 12/23 DRIVETRAIN. HAVING HAD A 53/42 X 12/23 8-SPD DRIVETRAIN, I THOUGHT THE GEARING MIGHT BE TOO EASY. I FOUND THE NEW GEAR COMBINATION VERY USER FRIENDLY ESPECIALLY DURING 'OUT-OF-THE-SADDLE' CLIMBS.

INSTALLATION WAS VERY EASY.

THE DRAWBACKS: AFTER A FEW RIDES, THE CHAIN STARTS TO GET NOISY, BUT THIS IS REMEDIED WITH A TURN AF THE 'BARRELL' ADJUSTER. ONCE IN A WHILE, THE REAR SHIFTER STICKS IN THE LAST (LOW) POSITION. SHIFTING IS STIFF, BUT I LIKE IT BETTER THAN THE 'TOO EASY' SHIMANO SHIFTING I EXPERIENCED IN THE OLD STI. I AM TOLD THE STIFFNESS SUBSIDES WITH USE.

P.S. EXCEL SPORTS GAVE ME A GREAT DEAL ON THE GROUPPO W/ WHEELS AND THE PEOPLE ARE VERY COURTEOUS, BUT THE QUALITY OF THE CUSTOMER IS INCONSISTENT.

SHIMANO ULTEGRA STI

[Feb 24, 2000]
Adam

Strength:

Sweetness

If you like the look and feel and quality of things as much as you like their functionality, then Campagnolo is for you. Sure, it works at least as well as the Japanese stuff, but most importantly, it has a more solid feel when you shift, brake, coast, hammer and also when you get it home and see your bike in the kitchen. Chorus is light, strong and bomb-proof. Shifting is excellent. Braking is solid and easy to modulate. If aesthetics don't matter to you, then you can always buy Shimano components: you might save a buck or a gram. If aesththetics didn't matter to anyone, the world would be a sad place.

Ultegra, Dura-Ace, RX100