White Industries Chainrings Chainring

Chainrings

White Industries ENO Crank Arms: The ENO crank arms are machined from billet aluminum. The engineers designed a rigid box shaped crank resulting in generated power being transferred directly in to the crank arm...

Dominic Libby   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 07, 1999]

Chain suck

Under even a slight load I'dd get chain suck.I really had to light shift to get it to drop to the granny perfectly.I tried a new chain(helped a little).Once I swapped the crank to a Race Face my problem disappeared.Combo of bad rings,and chain line I guess.Also the White crank was really flexxy vs. the Race Face.

Similar Products Used: Shimano,Race Face,Sugino(their own),Tracer,Cook.
Barry   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 28, 1999]
Strength:

Lookd sharp

granny ring skips under load

I've got the 3-D chainrings that came on a C series crank. The 32 middle and 44 big rings work fine. Shifting was good except going from middle to granny would only work with almost no load. Too much load trying to do this and the chian would suck. My main gripe with these rings is with the 20 tooth granny. On this ring, the chain would often skip and sometimes derail. I replaced an almost new KMC chain with a new Sachs chain, but the problem continued. I replaced the 20 tooth inner with a 22 tooth shimano XT and the problem went away. If it wasn't for the granny, these rings would have rated 4 stars.

Similar Products Used: Shimano lx & xt
erin   Racer [Oct 24, 1999]
Strength:

look purdy

What? Are these made out of day old cheese? Metal is too soft

I have never, ever had the teeth shearoff on my MIDDLE ring! I've tried a lot of chairings and never had this problem. The aluminum is way too soft. Trash em' before yo ride em' Thet're like Umma Gumma tires. They last about two rides, tops.

Similar Products Used: Race Face, Kooka, and Shimano
Luv Thang   racer [Jan 06, 1999]

After reading the reviews below, I feel I must post my impressions...I have the Big White Ind. ring, w/sh*tmano middle & Real granny.
I have NEVER had a prob getting to or from the big ring.
And it has stayed true thru more log bashings than any other big ring I've used.
I am very happy w/its durability, strength & overall performance.The only shifting probs I've had are getting from the middle to the granny, so it ain't a White Ind. prob.If you just put new rings on they
jumped and skipped whenever I tried to crank (resulting in many knee on handlebar whacks) and wore out really damn quick,
I suspect you needed a fresh (new & unstretched) chain (possibly rear cluster too).

Brian   [Nov 26, 1998]

White Industries forged crank with rings is exceptional with regard to all variables. Chainrings work as well as those on XTR crank. Individuals having problems with these cranks (ie shifting) are likely not maintaining their equipment (ie chain lubrication and cleanliness).

spiff   cross-country rider [Apr 02, 1998]

I love my white cranks, even if they are the jap version theyre wicked, strong and light. Id even get em again. The rings are weird though. Had the bike for 3 months and im missing 1 tooth on the big ring, and 1 on the middle. I'll probably throw shimano rings on next. they were strong as ballz on my other old bike.
I like the way these rings shift though. people ridin behind me fear these rings!
i shift and then (((((((((CLANK)))))))))))) big ring time and im out.
the rings are fun for now. the white cranks are super though!!!!
YAA!

FishMan   cross-country rider [Mar 03, 1998]

These are the worst chainrings I have ever used. They came with my WI cranks, which are the best cranks I've ever used. But the chainrings SUCK! Shifted poorly at best, jumped and skipped whenever I tried to crank (resulting in many knee on handlebar whacks) and wore out really damn quick. I hear they got new ones coming out now though...

Greg Beech   downhiller [Dec 21, 1997]

The cranks are brilliant - stiff, strong, light. Get some. Change the rings straight away (at the dealer if possible). Shifting is pure crap - the chain will not go from the large ring to the middle ring. Mine were also showing signs of wear after a few rides. Get some Pace ones instead.

Blair   racer [May 31, 1997]

What ever you do DO NOT BUY THESE CHAIN RINGS.... I don't care what anybody tells you, these things shift like crap. I thought I was getting a deal when I sent back my Japanese cranks for the upgraded American cold forged ones. It was $60 to upgrade the cranks and a cheap $40 for the rings. I thought you could not beat that deal. Let me tell you it is no deal. You can get away with the small and middle rings, but good luck to get it to shift to the big ring.
-chain ramps = good shifting
-there are no chain ramps
-therefore you get the worst shifting

Doug   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 30, 1999]
Strength:

Cheap

Poor operation, fast wear.

Got the $49 WI cranks w/ Sugino rings. Also put new rear cassette, chain, r. derailleur on but the rings made an out of synch grinding sound in the middle and small rings and friends noted the chain hung up on the rings, rather than flowed straight back to the cluster on the return. I went to my LBS and put on Black Spire small and middle rings - instant silence. Shifting was the same on both. On closer examination of the removed rings (5 rides) there was significant wear exposing a copper color on the ramps and the tooth finish was miserable. My LBS felt the forge tooling was dull and producing an out of spec product. Beware. Gotta slam this product despite its price - nobody should sell this level of product to the public.