Syncros Hardcore Chainring

Hardcore

• 8 and 9 speed compatible
  • The world's slickest chainrings. Because they're lubricated with a super-hard ceramic coating embedded in the alloy. In other words, less friction and longer wear. So grind away at the competition. Don't be grindin' away your teeth.
  • Foolproof shifts. Check it out. Ingenious Syncros chainring ramps smoothly guide the chain through the gears for lightning fast response and fewer misfires.
  • Dust the competition with precision CNC-machined heat-treated, hard-anodized 7075 aluminum. They're ½ the weight of titanium and 2½ times stronger than the usual 6061T6. Less mass means less rotational inertia. Which means you'll be leaving them in the dust.

• User Reviews (12)

Louie Figone   Cross Country Rider [Feb 03, 2002]
    Strength:

light weight, excellent wear

hard to find

smooth fast shifting, excellent wear, running 22-32-44 and in over two years of cross country ridding and racing have not had to replace any of the rings, much lighter than other rings I have tried.

Similar Products Used: werk, real, shimano
    Hans   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2001]
    Strength:

By far one of the best rings I have had on my crank. I have yet to bend them and do any major damage to them. The paint job on them is long lasting and clean up is a snap.

No true weaknesses just wish they made the rings more styled like raceface or other rings.

I have had a lot of rings, I ride to and from work and ride on the week ends. I have had a total of 4 rings on my bike in as many years and found that This year I have not had to buy new rings. I also found that my friends raceface rings have broken and chiped parts and do not hold up to abuse. The combo I have now will hopefully last one more year. I am a heavy rider and put my part to the test, I have had a XTR but it was bent to hell when I hit a rock and I have hit rocks and logs and all kinds of crap and the rings look and run great. I also found that the power I get from my crank does not afect the rings. So if you are a power rider and a cross country rider I would put syncross on my crank arm.

Similar Products Used: Raceface.S-XT,XTR and syncros.
    Reed   [Mar 12, 1998]

Overall, I really like these rings. They shift very well despite not having pins or ramps. However, after only four months all three rings are beginning to hook, especially the little ring (even though I am not in it much). I figure they will last at least another three months. Not a bad life span. And for the price I certainly won't complain

Luis   weekend warrior [May 20, 1998]

I have the whole crankset BB included. have hade shifting problems since the beginning. Have since changed both deralieurs, and chain without much difference. on my last ride chain fell of small ring onto the frame. Could be a cahin line problem but no mechanic has been able to remedy it yet. otherwise it is a strong light crankset. i would give it five if i can get the shifting right.

Vhuang   [Oct 20, 1997]

They suck!!!!! No ramps, no pins. upshifting under load is a pain. Many spills and falls becuz I cannot upshift. 1 thing they are good is, they are very smooth. Something about a special coating. Other than that, they suck!!!! Time to buy some Real Chainrings. 0 star for shifting but I'll give them 1 star for quietness.

chico jaurez   Racer [Aug 11, 2000]
    Strength:

everything... looks sweet and i only had a few problems... (See next bar)plus i could run a 46t on my Xt front.. i couldnt find any other rings taht would fit!(only got new rings to mesh with new chain/cassette

i had problems with spacing. chain would always get stuck between middle and granny ring. real pain but TANTALUS the best bike store in the world fixed the problem.

only these rings will bring me the joy of pedalling

mmmm syncros that i cant use anymore becuase they are "worn" even though they work FINE!

i guess once my chain and cassette get worn down a bit i can run my GOOD rings

Similar Products Used: stupid blackspire p.o.s. rings that wont fit on my bike!
    RobInfo   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 23, 1999]
    Strength:

Beautiful! smooth, durable.

No shifting ramps/pins (if that's a weakness)

I got these rings because it was the only reasonably priced Syncros stuff I could find. They have performed very well. I had some trouble initially because the chainring bolt holes were thinner and I couldn't keep the chainring bolts tight. I usually replace small/middle rings at least once a year, along with the chain, but because I'm getting old and lazy, I decided to run this drivetrain until it started malfunctioning. It's been almost 2 years now and it's still working sweet. The rings are worn of course, but they haven't gotten any burrs on them which is what snags the chain for the dreaded chain suck. Did I mention they're beautiful, I have the gold anodized ones, I still get compliments on them.

Similar Products Used: Avitar,
    peter clark   Racer [May 18, 1999]

I work as a messenger in seattle and run a 36 tooth single chainring 7 speed. This chainring is bombproof. It is wearing beautifuly and predictably. The ceramic impregnated aluminum is an exciting technology for all of us out there just plain using the hell out of bikes. Syncros is on top.

Scott   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 28, 1999]
    Strength:

Great anodizing
    Good deal
    nice ramps

wish they still made it in gold!

Bought mine at Cambria for 59, which I think was either a mistake or a killer deal since they should go for about 90 bucks for the set. Though I was getting the Gold color model without ramps or pins. Was suprised when I opened the box and saw they were the 99 model in black. Nice finish, excellent shifting with the ramps. Still wished Syncros would make them in the really cool gold color - would have been different but the new design is great. Hopefully they'll hold up for a few seasons.As always, Syncros does a great job and their support is excellent. E-mail them and Jason will give you an e-mail and a return call in a day. Next time will buy the cranks, although the Whites should last forever.