Race Face Chainrings Chainring

Race Face Chainrings Chainring

Race Face RaceRings

[Jun 05, 2012]
Jim H

Strength:

Shifted nice in the beginning.

Wears out fast.

I'm not much into maintenance, but my stock drive train lasted me 8 years of hard riding. When I upgraded, I upgraded the entire system- chainring/chain/sprokets. After only 3 years of riding my Raceface middle ring snapped a tooth in the middle chain ring. In my opinion, if I'm going to pay more money for "better" quality, it should be better quality.

[Mar 17, 2006]
Ryan

Strength:

light, looks good

The chain breaks loose from the middle ring on climbs or when you torque the crank. It's a new shimano chain and my derailleur is properly adjusted, so that's not the problem

I have to try something else, unless I want to crack my knees every 5 minutes.

[Dec 05, 2001]
ernest

Strength:

Strength, weight

Customer support

My bike came with Prodigy cranks and a cheap set of Race face rings They were destroyed in no time. I bought a new set of Race face rings that are of a much higher quality and finish. They are much more durable. However I did have a couple of teeth fracture on the big rig after a weekend in the NC mountains, not sure how or why. I called Race face got a return author. number and sent them back under warrenty. That was almost six weeks ago. Sent them an email, left them a message, no return and no rings as of yet. I filed and beat my old ring enough to ride. As a blanket statement I have been very dissapointed in several warrenty claims I have been involved in over the last year or two. Nite Rider, Trek, Rolf. Bottom line to me... I would not use the warrenty as a reason to buy a part most of them suck, if they take months to turn it around what good is it. I think they stall on purpose, I mean really how long does it take to throw a new ring in an envelope and mail it!! I give it a few chilis because i was very happy with the shifting, but I am anal about tuning and lubing and I really dont use the little ring much here in SC so I cant comment on the chain suck people complain about, I do not get it.

[Jan 26, 2002]
John

Strength:

It was nice while it lasted...No complaints there

Didn't last nearly as long as I thought it should. Almost hurt me a few times.

Sad to say, I really love my RF Turbine LP crankset, but the middle ring is TOAST after LESS than 500 weekend warrior type miles.. I rode this crankset on average 3 hours a week last year, and much less since the weather got colder, only weekends occasionally.. Today, on a recreational ride with my 65 year old Dad, the middle ring completely let go of the chain under torque load.
WTF!! I thought it was a blown rear hub at first as it felt like I had freewheeled and blown the pawl assembly in my rear wheel! After several more times of this, I popped into the granny, and the problem goes away? My Dad watched the cassette while I stepped down on the crank, middle ring front, Big ring rear.... BZZZZZZ!!!! Cassette stayed put, but I nearly fell off the bike when the crankarm DROPPED like as if the chain had broken. Apparently, the middle ring is WORN OUT. The teeth are ALMOST not halfway engaging the chain. They are quite round and eliptical between teeth. This must have been wearing for some time but I didn't realize it until todays failure. I had to finish the ride in Granny gear, every small hill would make the middle ring let go of the chain.. Wow, what a pitiful ring, it really didn't get abused at all, just used. I lube the chain every other ride too. It is just really hard to believe. The small ring looks fine, the teeth are almost twice the height of the middle ring. I am most definitely getting another brand ring. 1 chili for value, cause they are expensive to replace ($30!!!), and 2 because it was good all the way until death, but with a crummy lifespan.

[Mar 08, 2007]
Saddlesore

Strength:

looks nice
shifts nice

delicate teeth
hard to set up derailleurs these days
not exactly 8 speed compatible.

I have the silver ones that came with my 2005 Deus Crankset.
They look good and shift well in all conditions when set up properly. I am a Cross country kinda guy, so I am not too hard on stuff.Setting them up properly was difficult for me. with the new style chainline that comes with external bearings, it is hard to get the Front mech ajusted perfectly. this leads to slow shifting and if you are really torquing the pedals: missing teeth. my middle ring is missing a couple teeth, which is expected for an aluminum middle ring, they are delicate.

older 8 and 9 speed raceface chainrings

[Dec 26, 2001]
Trey

Strength:

Prodigy cranks...rings suck

They bend, I have bent and broke the teeth off the middle and large chainring in a few months. The set-up cam stock on a rocky mountain hammer race, with the race face seatpost and chain rings bending immediately. I finally received a response from the canucks telling me they are for X-country only...well thats all I ride. I would be petrified to use their (race face) drive train on a big downhill.

Buy other components...not RF if you want them to last

XT, XTR

[Sep 13, 2001]
Ben

Strength:

Lightweight, clean looking, stiff

none so far

Replaced old crankset with smaller setup. Mainly looking for weight reduction and for bigger rings. I like the setup 46/34/24. So much improved over old setup in all areas. The large ring is a little too big for my old derailleur, but as soon as my new derailleur arrives, should be awesome.

[Aug 10, 2001]
John

Strength:

Nice looks
Light

Aluminum is way too soft
Does not last long
Shifting is marginal

Not bad if you don't mind replacing the small chain ring every few months.
I would not recommend this product for a rider who spends a lot of time on big climbs. These chainrings are way too soft and deform easily.

Shimano

[Mar 15, 2001]
jeff

Strength:

they go round and round?

alloy wears faster than steel

I put a little over 1,000 miles (no road) on these rings and started to get chainsuck really bad in my small ring. A couple of teeth were slightly out of whack, but the real problem is just that the small ring was wore out and sloppy. I ride in northern calif and do lot's of granny ring climbing.

I replaced my small ring with the steel version made by RF, although you could easily use shimano steel rings as well. The middle and big ring are still RF alloy and no problems, but I think my middle is getting ready to be replaced as it's looking a little ragged.

Check your chainline, keep your drivetrain lubed and clean it once in a while and replace worn out rings and you shouldn't have any problems. Alloy wears faster than steel, so don't be surprised if they need to be replaced faster than shimano stuff. The RF rings shift fast like shimano.

[Mar 15, 2001]
The Ox

Strength:

shifts fast, durable, shifts fast, looks, made by Race Face.
uhh, oh yeah, shifts fast

Sorry, what?

These rings rock the house. I don't know what everybody's problem is. You guys should listen to the guy talking about chain line, because I've had no chain suck, far superior shifting performance to the LX rings. Sure some of the colour is scratched off, but the rings are WAY less scared than I am. Hey isht happens man, welcome to mountain biking. Bottom line, for the best performance, just put on your RACE FACE and hit the trail, it's that simple.

Lx, whatever comes with a Rockhopper