Race Face 9spd Chainrings Chainring

9spd Chainrings

MTBer   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2003]
Strength:

Worked good for a year!

Only lasted a year.

These chain rings were pushed to the limits as far as weather goes. Lots of Rain, MUD and rocks. From Brevard, NC to Jim Thorpe, PA. I could of maintained them a bit better but until this year they worked flawlessly. So I take a bit of blame. I've just order another set of compact rings and will maintain them with this new wonder lube called Psycho Lube. Will see if they last longer.

Z   Cross Country Rider [Mar 14, 2006]
Strength:

Look nice, Shifts nice

low quality?

after about 500 km and one race two teeth broke off the middle chain ring. It took me five more rides to figure it out as I have never broken a chain ring, ever. I ride that bike quite alot (4800km last year) and replace the whole drive line at each chain replacement (as I did with this, SRAM chain, SRAM cassette) and decided to try some new rings, as these were recomended. I am not a hard rider, all XC, long distance riding.

I am going to send this back to RF and see if they will replace it.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT, Shimano LX, Truvati
Markus   Cross Country Rider [Nov 16, 2003]
Strength:

Look good.

Frequently cause severe chain sucks. Heavy (a set wheights some 50 grams more than comparable XT rings).

They work satisfactorily in dry and clean conditions. But beware of wet and muddy conditions - these rings will eat up your chainstay! (Yes, all of them have been mounted in the correct position.)

I like my frame, so I replaced them by XT Mega 9 compact rings. No problems since then. As I didn't change anything else, I blame it all on that poorly designed Raceface rings.

BTW: The XT ring set saved roughly 50 grams.

So 1 chili for not only being completely useless but also scratching my frame - and 1 chili only because I dont't have the choice to give no chili...

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT / XTR.
Rob Fraser   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2002]
Strength:

I got two year out of them. The only reason they wore out is because my cogset wore out.

STuPid hacks who burn out their cassettes are gonna buy alot of race rings. They pretty much wear at the same speed as your chain and cassette. If you ride shimano cogsets expect to buy alot of race rings. If you are like me and you ride the sram cogsets? Once every 2 years. You can feel your knees when it is time for change. There are several hundred riding hours on those things by now. I flipped my chain and cogset this week to realize it is gonna cost me a few bucks for the rings too. I got my money's worth outta the last set.

Similar Products Used: None are quite the same.
JAMES   Cross Country Rider [Dec 12, 2006]
Strength:

Look good

Not upto the job (granny ring excepted)

Onto my 3rd front middle chainring inside 1 year. As other posters have commented teeth snap off, they wear badly causing chainsuck and generally have little durability despite increased cost.

If i could fit a different set of chainrings onto my raceface cranks I would. Will probably change the cranks as well now. These are not value for money in my opinion.

Don Nywening   Weekend Warrior [Feb 20, 2004]
Strength:

RaceRings vre very long-wearing. Shift beautifully in all conditions.

I ran the same set of racerings for four years without a problem. They had almost 2500 miles on them and were only replaced this week due to wear and age. Keep up with maintenance on your chain and cassette and they will give outstanding service. These are the best I have ever used.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX and XT, Sugino, Syncros.
Royce Volker   Weekend Warrior [Mar 28, 2003]
Strength:

44T 32T look good,the matching cranks look great too.

middle ring is junk.I tore mine up in 3 hours.Brand new driveline and these things only lasted a frickin day,wheee!Im gonna love the repetition of replacing these babys.

These rings came on the prodogy cranks I bought.I have always thought of the cranks as good looking and thought all race face stuff was tuff,but I guess not their rings.Buy XT of even LX and leave your worries behind.Really I have hundreds of miles on my XT set up on another bike and probably 200 on my wifes cannondale rings and they have no where near the wear of the Race Face's.Even the suginos on my old hardtail are wearing better than these.Hey,even the old 7 speeders on my old Diamondback look to be in better shape.