Race Face '99 chainrings Chainring

Race Face '99 chainrings Chainring

Raceface '99 chainrings

[Jan 01, 2000]
J. Salmon

Strength:

They don't bend

I'm not too picky about front shifting, but I want a ring that can take being slammed into stumps and even the occasional rock. I have had a '98 set on my Klein for over a year and they have worn well and are straight as ever. I now have a set of '99 rings with all the ramps on a new ride (still riding the old rings too) and they shift a bit better. I get no chain suck (even after Hurricane Floyd), but I use an 8 speed. 9 speed is stupid, but that's a different review.

Shimano
'98 Race Face

[Nov 25, 2000]
Phil

Strength:

Great looks, durability, shifting

None to date.

I originally purchased these rings with my Next LP crankset. When I upgraded that bike to 9 spd, these rings got moved over to my freeride rig. The original rings were Sugino CSS Supershift rings, and these rings are way better than those. The black finish has been very durable so far, and these rings shift better than the original Suginos. The only downside has been these 5-arm rings are designed to work with a traditional 5-arm crank, but the Specialized Strong Arm Pro crank has one of the bolt holes co-located with the crank arm, which means that the pin RF puts on the 44T ring to prevent the chain from lodging between the big ring and the crank arm isn't as effective (you can still put it just ahead of the arm and it works somewhat). Other than that, they work seamlessly with Shimano stuff and my Sachs/SRAM chain. They are more expensive than some but the durability I've seen over the last year (little to no wear, no broken teeth) justifies the price.

Sugino CSS rings, Avitar Werk, Shimano

[Nov 21, 2000]
Jeff

Strength:

shifts nicely (about same as shimano), lightweight

wears out too quickly

I bought the raceface rings with my cranks, and don't have a major complaint. I haven't broken teeth, like some other reviewers have, but I did find that the aluminum rings wear out pretty damn fast (about 1,000 miles), although I guess that shouldn't be too much of a surprise. The big problem is that the 22t ring gets really bad chain suck when it wears.

I was told by my LBS that 5 bolt shimano LX rings interchange nicely, and last longer. I opted for the raceface steel rings instead (got the 22t for $16 at performance).

On the plus side, they shift as nicely as shimano... I wonder if there is such a thing as shifting better than shimano?

shimano, what else

[Aug 17, 2000]
jerry wonnacott

Strength:

Improved shifting with the added pins, looks nice, durable, not Shimano

A little expensive

I find that these rings work just fine, the newer versions shift very well, just the same or better than my FS rig with 9speed XT, keep the drive line clean and these will hold up well, shift well, and you be satisifed, they certainly look nice, too...

Older Race Face, Real, Shimano, Sugino

[Aug 06, 2000]
Peter Banks

Strength:

Not really any.

I was more than pissed when the big ring teeth chipped away
so easily. I know that the 9 speed stuff is a little cheesier than the 8 speed stuff, but when I looked at the
teeth, they seemed to be a whole lot thinner one side than the other. The teeth that broke away were on the thin side.
When I contacted RaceFace about this, they said I should be
more careful when I ride. OHHHHHHHH!!! Bring me my cane.

I took their advice. I put on a Ring God, and
an 8 speed middle ring. No more lost Race Face teeth,
as a matter of fact no Race FAce at all.

Shimano

[Feb 19, 2001]
Mark Newbury

Strength:

The work fantastically

These rings shift a treat - they don't wear as quickly as other types of rings I've used and I do about 100 miles a week on them. Id go for these over Shimano every time

Shimano, Middleburn

[Jul 05, 2000]
Doug S.

Strength:

Looks...

They're beginning to disintegrate...

Nice looking rings that shift pretty well. The only problem is that after only three (yes 3) rides, there are 2 teeth missing and a few others that are so deformed they might as well be missing. I've never had a set of rings wear so quickly. Since they shift smoothly, set-up doesn't seem to be the cause. It seems that the material is just too soft to stand up to any use. Or maybe I just got a bad set? Oh well...back to Shimano...

Shimano, Sugino

[Jun 07, 2000]
charlie

Strength:

quality of shifts, beauty, i love those race face guys-they're the greatest!

costlier than some other rings

i think raceface has made some rockin good rings, they shift like fresh lettuce(crisp!), and they look like kate hepburn(ok, you pick the beauty of your choice). if you can get them for a good price, i would say choose them above the others, they really are what you would want from a chainring: something that shifts so well that you dont have to think about them again, you can just think about riding(or if things arent perfect you can think about whatever else on your bike is going to break :)

shimano, shimano, and some more shimano

[May 08, 2000]
Jamie

Strength:

durability, shifting, superb style

price

USing this product for a variety of purposes has resulted in some pretty serious abuse. They seem to stand up very well to assaults from logs rocks and concrete ledges. One day I'll get around to purchasing a bashguard but until then these rings can take the abuse. If you're looking for a quality product to enhance performance and styles of your machine then this is for you. 4 chilis for value because of the price but overall a mean set of rings!

shimano

[Apr 09, 2000]
Phil

Strength:

Killer looks, shift great

chainring bolts, pricey

They work much better than my old impel steel-rings, which were well worn after about 1,000 miles. The only problem is that I can only put on 4 chainring bolts because the third hole is behind the crank arm, and the rings are a bit wide. The only thing that concerns me is tooth wear. Since i mainly ride around town, I don't worry about them bending, besides the fact that they are pretty beefy(they are thicker than my bmx bike's chaingring). I have yet to see any real wear on them though.

Impel steel