Blackspire Super Pro Chainring

Blackspire Super Pro Chainring

Save when you purchase all 3 rings in one fell swoop. Super Pro rings are ramped and pinned for smooth, reliable shifting. CNC aluminum construction

[Sep 19, 2016]
Shaun
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Superpro 2X10 for XTR M980 cranks. The rings look good. The install was smooth and the rings are shiny. Bolts fit in the holes really well. Alignment taps for install at proper clocking to the crank where easy to use.

Poor shifting and customer service.

The rings arrived after 6 days despite paying top rate for "expedited" shipping that should have been 2 days. Clearly not compatible with new KMC chain. I had issues with chain drop on down shifting and chatter/delay on upshifting. The ramps/pins don't line up the chain into the teeth on the ring it is moving to so it won't drop into the new ring. Clearly the engineering of the mated rings is that they aren't mated and aligning them to the crank using the little bump is irrelevant with Black spire. Maybe they thought the alignment was for the graphics to line up and forgot about the shifting.

[Apr 30, 2014]
J.R.

Strength:

One chain ring setup and it's sweet.

Two chain ring setup for a 2X9 and forget it. You will get chain rub from the lower toothed chain ring to the higher toothed chain ring. Even with a 50mm chain line and I was still disappointed. I ended up trashing the 2X9 setup and settled on a 1X9 until my next build. Had I known this I would have just gone with an XT 2X10 groupset. I wasted a lot of time and money between chain rings, bash guard, cassette, rear derailleur, trying to keep it 2X9.

I would only consider the product should I ever wish to build a single chain ring system. The build quality is there, it just wasn't thought out for double or triple setups.

[Oct 21, 2012]
Mart

Strength:

Works great on a 9 speed ssytem

Very poor shifting on 10 speed dynasys system. "Hang" between the outer and mid chain ring and had very often chainsuck on the 10 speed system. Contacted Blackspire but they wouldn't listen. Came with facts that the teeth's of original 10 speed chain rings are smaller but didn't listen to that.

If you are still with a 9 speed mtb no problems at all. If you use 10 speed gear don't by it! TA and other manufactures made original 10 speed rings and not the combined 9/10 speed which the blackspire is. It shifts horrible on a 10 speed gear bike. Also customer support is worse.

[Sep 08, 2012]
ppfeifer

Strength:

Function as advertised.
Great Price.

None noted.

Bought these chainrings to modify my Jet9 from a 1x10 to a 2x10 using an older Shimano XT 9 speed triple crankset. Installation was simple and the rings fit perfectly. Durability seems to be good. The anodizing wears off the teeth quickly but I don't mind. Shifting is nice and smooth. I had some chainsuck issues but it was my fault and not chainring incompatibility. Since I've fixed adjusted my setup, shifting has been great. I highly recommend these chainrings.

OEM Shimano chainrings

[Jul 12, 2011]
Rapidtrax

Strength:

The Blackspire Super Pro offered the correct bolt circle to fit my Raceface Deus crank set 104/64 in 32/22 teeth

Poor shifting quality. The chain drops off the middle ring to the granny ring with a clunck when shifted. Adjustment could not smooth it out. Also you must make approximately a 120 degree rotation before the chain moves down. To much for my liking. Up shifts to the middle ring clatter. This is definately not on par with Raceface rings. The base material for the granny ring is thicker than a Raceface ring though the counter bores for the ring bolts are similiar in depth. The result is that the granny chainring bolts are more inboard and interfere with the lower pivot bolt on my Intense 6.6. This is really bad!!!

These rings are a good stop gap product if you can not locate the real deal Raceface chainrings but dont expect the identical performance. These babys fall short in all respects. 4F Form, Fit, Function the big F for failure.

Raceface Deus w/Race Rings, and Raceface Turbine rings and in my ealier days shimano XT

[May 16, 2011]
jrsbike

Strength:

Quality manufacturing, tough and takes a hit.

I bought a 24 and 34 Super Pro to set up a 2x9 with a XT 770 crankset. I have 9 speed XT derailleurs and chain. This shifts beautifully and dependably; far better than the stock XT rings I had before. Before I got a chainguard I whacked a few rocks and the rings took the hits without a problem. I'm a believer! I think the naysayers just don't know how to set up a bike and understand compatibility.

Shimano

[Feb 04, 2011]
lebikerboy

Strength:

Strong, attractive, long lasting, shift almost as well as Shimano.

Doesn't shift quite as well as Shimano.

Great chain rings which last longer than any others I've owned.
Just got my last set from Jenson USA for $88.00 for all three rings!

Raceface, Shimano, FSA, Blackspire, Cycle Dynamics, etc.

[Dec 12, 2009]
wu-wei

Strength:

The box they come in is recyclable.

Shifts like a senile grandmother with Parkinsons. Wears out like your sister on prom night.

Even when brand new these things shifted poorly (amazingly slow engagement). I don't know why I lived with them for a few months but after only about 800 miles of fairly hard mtb and some road riding, the middle and smalls rings are shark-toothed and done. I replaced the chain at the same time as these rings, and I never run a chain wear with excessive stretch.

I also keep my drivetrain clean. The fault with this early wear and weak shifting lies solely with whatever cheap metal or process blackspire uses. Never have I given 1 chile, but never before have I had such a crap component. You could get these for $20 and they'd still get 1 chile for value. Awful!

Shimano (xt/saint), Race Face, Truvativ

[Aug 11, 2009]
CBL

Strength:

extremely durable and good shifting

I put about 2'500 miles a year on my bike, commute to work all year in rainy Seattle, and race this bike in both cross country mountain and cyclocross mudfest races. This chain ring had barely noticeable wear after 1 year of hard use. Fantastic product. No shifting issues.

Shimano, FSA

[Jun 02, 2008]
Kevin

Strength:

strong, light, durable

doesn't shift on my bike

I bought a 104-32 (middle) Blackspire SuperPro to replace my wearing XT one. I replaced the chain at the same time with a top-of-the-line SRAM PC-991. My front der is a 2006 XT.

I tested it on my street. 100% of middle->small downshifts chattered and stalled for 3 or four full revolutions before shifting down, and 30% of them dropped right down to the bike frame. Half an hour of front der cable tension and limit adjustments yielded equal or worse (100% dropping) results. Small->middle upshifts always were perfect.

I put my wearing chain and XT chainring back on, and 98% of the middle->small downshifts were instantaneous and perfect, as were the small->middle upshifts.

MEC allowed me to return the chainring.

Simano XT