Blackspire Epic Chainring

Blackspire Epic Chainring

Blackspire Epic DH Chainring: DH or SS chainring with no ramps or pins. Anodized aluminum with laser etched graphics. 0.125" 6061 construction works well with chainguides...

[Aug 02, 2009]
cyclingmeat

Strength:

Cheap for people that have a bike, but don't ride it.

very soft Aluminum alloy.

These rings are so soft that they showed the same wear after 300km of commuter riding that my XT and Blackspire Pro level showed after 5000km of all kinds of riding. Ticked off, I took the XT ring, the Blackspire Pro ring, and the Blackspire Epic ring into my work's metallurgy lab for a Rockwell hardness test. The XT and the Pro rings came back on a Rockwell C range while the Epic was a dissapointing A range. What kills Blackspire for me is the customer service at Blackspire that told me that my Local Bike Shop is to blame for selling me the softer ring. Apparently they should have sold the higher priced Pro level of ring instead of the Epic, which was made for "light users". Don't buy these rings.

Shimano LX, XT, Blackspire Pro.

OVERALL
[Jul 22, 2002]
John G

Strength:

Replacement chainring, not too pricey

None so far

I swapped the three front rings with the 'epic' replacements from MEC. They fit just fine (110mm) and appear well made.

If they hold up (especially over winter) they will be an excellent upgrade. (What else do you want! they are just chain rings!!)

J