Blackspire Chuck Chainring

Chuck

Blackspire CHUCK rings are made of .316 stainless steel. Designed for 8/9 speed, these tough grannys will help prevent "chain suck".

58 BCD : 20 | 22 | 24t
64 BCD : 22 - 74 BCD : 24

J.C.   Cross Country Rider [Jun 30, 2003]
Strength:

Aptly named so you know what to do with it after it breaks.

Strength/durability

I'm guessing it's called a chuck ring as it chucks the chain onto the BB shell and now I'm going to chuck it in the garbage. I'm not a punishing rider but this thing bent during a cross-country ride. I straightened it but it easily bent again on each of 3 subsequent rides.

I had bad luck with Blackspire rings in the past but hadn't tried them for a few years. No more cash for them.

How fitting. I just took a look at their website and though they claim to be Canadian their main page statement sounds like one of those old Taiwanese company ads in MBA. http://www.blackspire.com/main.html I'm guessing the same QA dept. is used for their website and products.

Similar Products Used: other crappy chainrings
Pascal Cormeau   [Jul 01, 2002]
Strength:

Amaysingly durable

Well, since I am always in my granny ring because I ride trials, it gets alot of wear. I ride just about every day of the week for several hours. After a year of use, I am really pleased to say that this ring is the bomb. It apears to have no wear at all... Great product.

Similar Products Used: aluminum crap that wears out in a month
BL   Weekend Warrior [Oct 09, 2003]
Strength:

One of the few stainless steel granny rings available

Not good enough

First off, I need to say that I weigh around 240 dressed (and I bike dressed). Second, ever since I got a Wipperman Stainless Steel chain, I've been burning through granny gears like they were made of cheese. I ride on sandy, muddy trails and I guess the combination is too much for these rings. The Blackspire began to suck after about 4 rides (8 hours)! This may not be a problem for a rider under 200lbs.

I've been riding a Cycle Dynamics Ti granny (about twice the money) for about 4 months and so far, no problem.

Similar Products Used: OEM Steel granny; Truvativ Firex granny; Truvativ Stylo Granny; Cycle Dynamics Ti granny