Avitar Werx Chainring

Avitar Werx

Jon Judson   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 09, 1999]
Strength:

Smooth shifting on outer two rings.

Too fat for Shimano system.

Installed all three rings and lost downshifting to granny. The chain would jam between the granny and the second ring on the upshift, and fall completely off the granny on the down. XTR derailler couldn't be adjusted to accomidate all three, so I replaced the LX granny and system worked fine. Apparently, the rings are a bit to fat for the Shimano system.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX
Chad Skelton   Cross Country Rider [Jan 12, 2000]
Strength:

I liked the color

Didn't work

I read the catalog descriptions and the Werx sounded like a good deal- ramps, pins, etc.. I ordered a middle ring, installed it and started pedaling it on the stand. Right away my new 9spd chain didn't fit down onto the teeth, then it started to suck the chain into my frame. My setup worked before, even with the old Avitar 8spd middle ring, so I know it wasn't my setup. This ring would have been a nightmare on the trail, so I sent it back.

Recommendation- buy something else
Rating- one flame for the three bucks I burned on return shipping

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Ron   Cross-Country Rider [May 13, 1999]
Strength:

price

Soft as a marshmellow

I don't have more than a hundred miles on these rings and they are already worn. My chain is new and so are my cogs, so there is no reason for such premature wear. My LX rings lasted three times as long. Sure I rode over several logs and thrash my junk, but still I think that the wear is a little excessive. Don't buy these rings unless you are a really easy rider. The only redeeming factor is the price.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX
Todd   Racer [Apr 20, 1999]
Strength:

Best shifting of any rings.

Soft metal

If you want the best shifting rings out there, these are the ones to buy. Mine are mounted on AC Lopro cranks and they shift flawlessly. If you are a trials freak these may not be the best for you. They are much softer than the real or raceface that seem to take bigger bashes and last much longer, but don't always shift. Raceface and real don't have any pins and their ramps are almost nonexistant. I replace my rings at the beginning of every race season because shifting is especially important on race day!

Similar Products Used: Real, Shimano, Raceface
BS   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 20, 1999]

Shifting inferior to Shimano and Real
Too expensive
Too soft

Rings are crap. Skips under power (with a new chain). Chain tends to fall between the granny and middle rings. Lots of chainsuck. A switch to Real rings cured the problems.

Similar Products Used: Real
Shimano
Tony   cross-country rider [Feb 17, 1999]

These are Avitar's top of the line rings. They are supposed to be some of the best aftermarket alloy rings available. Well...I have a set on my hardtail race bike, mounted to some RF cranks and have been using them for about 150 miles. The set up shifts about as good as the well used LX crankset I took off. I have a new cassette and new chain and I still get some chain suck and skipped teeth--especially under load. But the shifting is ok, especially considering the low weigth and increased stifness of the new crankset. I am totally dissatisfied, however, by the softness of the rings. I ride on rocky, technical desert singletrack in Phoenix. I have already had to file burrs off of 3 teeth that got banged up by rocks. I never had to do this with the old shimano rings. The werx rings look cool and are light, but they are too soft and I suspect that they are not very durable. I probably have to install a Rock Ring now to save my 44T ring.

Joe   Racer [Aug 05, 2002]
Strength:

look cool

Junk.

Didn't pass the first test, if you can bend them with your hands before putting them on don't bother. Outer ring and inner ring were bent (yea I bent the middle ring too)on first ride (and last ride). Skipped teeth in first 100 ft of ride. All new chain, cogs and rings. Don't bother with an inner ring that is not steel.
Running with Raceface for years, never a problem.
Sent them all back.

0 Chili's for real, Kmart rings would be better.

Similar Products Used: Raceface (unbendable), Shimano LX, XT.