Actiontec ELS ti middle chainring Chainring

ELS ti middle chainring

Action-Tec ELS ti middle chainring

Zachariah   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2010]
Strength:

~Light, at only 13g(20t XTR-M960 Granny ring)
~Stiff
~Heat treated and very strong
~Withstands high chain tension

~Price

This granny ring upgrade is a very weight-effective solution to using heavier, bigger cog cassettes. I run a 2x9 crank setup with a 11-27 cassette, and I can climb stuff I used to hike my bike up only. So what if you are going slower than you can walk it...the important element of RIDING is simply clearing sections without ever putting a foot down!

Similar Products Used: Experimantal Prototype 21t ring
OEM Shimano 22t ring
Graham Curkendall   Weekend Warrior [Oct 16, 2000]
Strength:

Doesn't wear, strong, lightweight.

No ramps or pins, expensive.

After nearly a year of using the ELS, there is almost no visible wear. There are no scratches or bent or chipped teeth, just some visible rubbing from shifting. While there are no ramps or pins, it still shifts well. Also, since the ring has a large area cut out in the middle, it doesn't hold mud, a problem i had with my sugino rings. Though it was expensive, I am sure it will last a long time.

Similar Products Used: Kooka, Shimano, Sugino rings.
adroit   Weekend Warrior [Oct 30, 1999]
Strength:

this thing lasts really long
'smoother' than alloy rings

no ramps or pins, relearn shifting
but once u get used, works perfect.

with proper lubrication, this ring outlasts at least 3 or 4 alloy rings. Alloy teeth chip with use, Ti resist chipping, hence a 'smoother' , quieter ride. The durability more than makes up for the cost. The lack of ramps and pins may seem awkward initially, but really does not compromise shifting performance, just require more concious shifting. The advantage is that ring runs much cleaner without the pins/ramps/kinks that Shimano put in their rings.

Similar Products Used: xtr rings
Eric Moss   Cross Country Rider [Aug 26, 2005]
Strength:

Fine shifting, silent operation

expensive

While the price seems outrageous ($126 for a non-gear-cut 36 tooth flat ring? that's a one-chili demotion), I have noticed that my drivetrain is much quieter than with the original XT chainrings, and the shifting has not suffered at all.

Will it really last 10 years as some have noted? It *is* 8-1-1 Ti, but not 10-2-3. OTOH, I shift gently, ride lots of gentle miles (but with heavy loads), keep the setup clean and "over"-lubed, and change the chain when the Rohloff Caliber checker says I should. I'm guessing the thing will last the rest of the bike's life. If you mostly commute, I would easily recommend choosing this ring when you need a new one -- I should have done it years ago. If you are a thrasher, my experience might not be relevant.