Wippermann Connex 908 Chain

Wippermann conneX 908 Nickel-plated 9 Speed Chain is a strong and durable chain. Speeds: 9-Speed Chain Compatibility: 9-Speed Weight: 308 g Width: 6.5 mm Links: 114 links

jrahm   Cross Country Rider [Nov 09, 2008]
Strength:

quick link

price and performance

repeated development of sticking links, with a terrible ghost shifting problem. link loosening was not easy, set out on the next outing with the chain ok, then more sticking and worsening shifting. expensive but problematic item is now landfill. new sram 991 works perfectly, end of story. not sure how to account for this as i know people who love these things and ride them problem free for ages. personally, never again. I am 190#, is that it?

Similar Products Used: shimano, sram
Rod   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2006]
Strength:

Quick link.Looks like quality.

This chain was better than the KMC X9( not so good ), but it did not shift smoothly at all, no matter how I adjusted the der etc I could not get it to shift well. It would ride the side of the cassette and drop with a clunk, load/no load. Took it off and installed HG 93, immediate improvement. The shimano chain likes the shimano cassette, and they lived happily ever after.

Similar Products Used: KMC X9, Shim HG93.
Vance Payne   Racer [Oct 13, 2005]
Strength:

Silent and shifts flawlessly, at first

Well I have to tell you I was lured in by the hype of these chains, but after having my first one break on me four times in a month (after only two months I might add)I wasn`t very impressed. I thought it was just maybe fluke so I bought another one, this time in pimpin blue. I was forced to change my cassette (wich I found odd after such a short amount of milege). its been a month and 400km later, the blue is gone and the chain is starting to do funny things in normal conditions on the new cassette. I had also recomende it to clients were I work and one of them have come back after not even a months riding. Aren`t these suppoed to be bionic chains made to the highest german standards?

should have stuck with sram, the old sachs. They had never failed me in 14 yrs, Rode them until they skipped then replaced them and I usually go through two drive trains a year- DON`T BELEIVE THE HYPE!!

Similar Products Used: no other wipperman or connex product but switched to sachs when I was 18, and was still using them (I`m 32yrs now)
Eric   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2005]
Strength:

good, solid chain. quick link is easy to use.

quick link is easy to install incorrectly

I've had a connex stainless chain on my road bike for years and love it. I got the nickel version for my mtb and it drove me nuts for well over a month. it would always skip in the 11-t cog. I tried changing my chainline, putting on a different cassette, everything.

Finally, I saw that an earlier reviewer had the same experience, and that I just had the quick link on upside down. This wouldn't be too big of a deal except that I never found any instructions on their website to avoid this, and I never saw anything on which side goes up or down anywhere else... maybe if I read the instructions more thoroughly...

This is a good chain if it's installed correctly... just make SURE it's installed correctly or it will make your life hell.

Similar Products Used: sram, shimano
Tony   Weekend Warrior [Apr 23, 2007]

I love this chain. While it is true that it does not shift quite as smoothly as the Shimano, it shifts very well and is removable. The key thing about the 908 chain is that it is very strong and relatively stiff so it does not get bent or twisted under load... I've always prematurely twisted Shimano and SRAM chains, but never a Wipperman.

Kahuna3   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2005]
Strength:

This Wipperman 908 is pretty well bomb proof. I've ridden Wippermans on my VT2 for 2 years and I've never had a proble, no stretching, no breaks. I'm over 200lbs and a hard driver, I put lots of strain on chains, I've broken Shimanos and SRAMS, but the Wipperman just hangs in there. I took a 10 day off-road trip to Switzerland and that chain hauled me all the way with no complaints. Last weekened I did a knarly, mud-packed, water filled, sandy 75 kilometer enduro with lots of vertical and that 908 performed! Just like I knew it would.

I also love the quick release link, I can get my chain off.on in a minute. Its great for keeping the chain clean - I take it off with the link, its a snap, clean it real good (varsol in a plastic peanut butter jar) oil it and snap it back on.

The Wipperman is also a good, consistent, reliable shifter.

I can't say enough about these chains, I love 'em. My buddy has popped a SRAM and a Shimano when riding with me this season. Last wee he said "I gotta get myself a Wipperman!"

None - nada, nothing.

If you are a hard driver who is serious about a reliable drive train, Get one, you will love it. Give up on Shimano and SRAM chains.

Similar Products Used: Shimano and SRAM
K L   Racer [May 18, 2005]
Strength:

Easy to clean, easy to install

Stiff links. Shifting from small to big chainring requires very slow cadence compared to Shimano. Shifting performance comparable to Shimano. Colored chains let you pimp out your bike.

ALSO: VERY IMPORTANT: avoid mixing chain materials. The Wipperman 9x1 Stainless is extremely weak. Combining a 908 with a 9x1 will result in a broken chain as I've found out with two nearly new chains. The 9x1 Stainless is a total waste of money. Read for yourself. I'm not the only one.

This isn't a bad chain, but I've had a better overall experience with Shimano chains. The chain is very easy to clean, which can be a big plus for mtb'ers.

Not a bad chain, easy to clean, but Shimano will be more reliable in my opinion. Be sure to always carry a chain tool with Wippermans...

Similar Products Used: Shimano Dura-Ace/XTR, Ultegra HG-91,92,93, HG-71/72, Wipperman Stainless 9spd
Jorge Pinto   Weekend Warrior [Mar 04, 2005]
Strength:

Fair price. Normal longevity(around 1000-1200km)

None!!

The black stuff went off on first ride. Must more stiffer than Sram chains and shifts well. Do we need more?

Similar Products Used: Sram 59,99 with allow pins and connex 9x1.
Elliott   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2005]
Strength:

tool free maintenance, strong, quick shifting, quiet (I use ATB brand lube out of Mesa AZ)

none, so far... these chains don't seem to stretch, noticed a little daylight between the rollers and front gear teeth, so I measured the O.D.s with calipers and found that they were .005" smaller than those on the new 908 replacement. No missed shifts, just being on the safe side changing to a new one (1st new one since Oct.)

The only way to go is up...Next new chain will be a 9x1 for the stainless and harder rollers, but I really can't complain about the 908, as it has outlasted all the other chains listed above with riding in the sand and flooded washes 3 days a week consistently, 8 - 15 miles per day.