Wippermann Connex 905 Chain

Connex 905

Wippermann Connex 905

Gusasa   All Mountain Rider [Feb 06, 2016]
Strength:

The chain is not compatible with Shimano deraiuller.

I spent the extra cash hoping to get better performance and rust resistance. The chain just does not work. It skips the gears of the rear dérailleur. My previous Chinese chain works much better.

Zachariah   Cross Country Rider [Sep 22, 2010]
Strength:

Easiest chain detachment(Connex Quick Link)

NOT compatible with Shimano or SRAM chains

This review is for the Connex Quick Link only. After seeing the ingenious way the chain comes apart by forming a "Z" - I thought I could try this on my KMC X9SL chain. Don't do it - you will have nothing but shifting problems and if you run a full-suspension, the bobbing will blow your non-Wippermann chain apart on the trail. It already happened to me once, forcing me to walk 7 miles chainless, since the Connex links disappeared once the chain fell apart.

I later compared another one to the SRAM and KMC link, and suddenly noticed the Wippermann link is almost a full 1mm longer than the other two....hence the skipping chain.

What a complete waste of eight bucks...anybody want a new one?

Similar Products Used: SRAM Power Link
KMC Missing Link
Sean   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2003]
Strength:

smooth shifting, tough, great connector link

none so far

The chain works for me. I am reviewing the connex 808. It's not stainless, but it seems to rust less than other chains I've owned. The connector link is awesome. Much better than the SRAM powerlink, which is very difficult to remove when your chain is filthy and gunked up. I can't tell any difference in shifting performance between any of the chains I've owned. They've all been great.

Shimano chains break easily and have no connector link, SRAMs are difficult to remove. Wipperman is the best thus far!

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Sachs PC68
BCooper   Racer [Aug 27, 2003]
Strength:

Rust free

Weak, weak, weak. This chain breaks like crazy.

I have less than 5 rides on this chain and noticed last evening while loading my bike in the back of my truck, that I had several broken side plates. Unfortunately, I didn't have an extra chain to replace it, so my ride was just canceled for the day. Upon removal; however, I counted (26)twenty-six broken or cracked side plates on a 105 link chain. This is absolutely ridiculous!!!! I am going to send this POS back to Performance for a refund. I think I will stick with the SRAM PC99. I've had good luck with it in the past, but thought it would be nice to have a rust free and supposedly tougher chain. I guess that was too much to hope for. I'm going to rate this chain as one flamin turd, only because there are no negative values. Unless, I just got a defective chain, which is always a possibility, I would recommend saving your money and get something cheaper that lasts longer. A super cheap $7.00 chain from Wal-Mart will surely last longer than 4 rides.

Similar Products Used: SRAM PC89 and 99, XTR/DuraAce 7700
gary   Cross Country Rider [Aug 30, 2003]
Strength:

stainless steel

poor shifting. skipped shifts...breaks easily

i had worn down my xt cassette and decided to replace the chain along with a new sram 7.0 casstte. i immediately had shifting probems under load although everything worked well in the stand. basically anytime demands were made on the drive system the chain would skip but remain on the same cog. i suspected the chain right off, as i was unable to get this to shift correctly i took it to my lbs for an expert evaluation. they checked-out the entire drive and then did a derailler adjustment and checked the hanger for straightness.. so after and feeling confident i took the bike out on the trail and again had the same problems under load, terrible noisey shifting unlike anything i have ever experienced. still suspecting the chain and on a hunch i took the connex link off and tried the shifting without it, shifting improved markedly. i thought i was all set but then the chain broke twice. i replaced the wippermann with a sram 69 and it has been smooth shifting since. i hesitate to complain about any product but this chain costs a bit and performed so poorly. perhaps i just got a bad chain or maybe there is an incompatability with the sram 7.0 casstte, at any rate the bike was checked out by a good mechanic, and shifting was great as soon as i took off the wippermann. end of story......happy riding and be thankful for our sport.

Similar Products Used: sram and shimano 9 speed chains
Brown Teeth   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2003]
Strength:

This is a 908 review non stainless but ni coated and it seems to last. At first flex seemed loose (dead on lenght) but given the twist test it has not gone out at all after 400 hard miles which my hg 93 and 72 could not do. Likes a heavy gear lube rather than oil to stay death silent. Very sexy out of the box experience seeing those black rollers, but alas one ride and that was gone.

I figure I'll get 1K miles which is much better than the 6-700 miles I get with just about any shimano. The link is so easy to use you want to clean the chain

I'd buy again cause this chain seems to last, quiet and seems more suple than the shimanos making less harsh shifting. Fancy stepping on the links seems to really aid shifting. Most expensive chain I every bought but am happy will post final milage when it goes out, for now 5 burning beans all around, have fun!

Similar Products Used: Shimanos, all flavors
Tym   Cross Country Rider [Nov 09, 2002]
Strength:

the link is great for taking it off to clean

none yet

This chain has performed very well. Shifts are smooth and it is quiet. The link makes it easy to remove for that extensive cleaning, and has never come loose. I've seen none of the other problems reported here, and I DON'T baby it.

Similar Products Used: shimano, sram
joe therider   Cross Country Rider [Jan 29, 2002]
Strength:

strong shiney workmanship

you pay for attributes previously mentioned

the best damn chain i have used so-far for me it resolved some chainline problems i was having onmy poorley designed Ellsworth truth this chain seems to have more play between plates and rollers or something...give it a try it is a good product.

Similar Products Used: shimano(alwayse break em)sram
kent   Racer [Jan 21, 2002]
Strength:

No Stretch, Smooth Shifting, long life.

Worth the extra money. These chains don't stretch like sram, and don't break after 2km like shimano. Over time, this chain will save u money, and save your drivetrain the abuse a cheap chain will dish out.

Bad reviews below are probably due to poor chain care.

Similar Products Used: sram pc-99, shimano garbage.
Matt   Racer [Oct 02, 2002]
Strength:

Very precise machining, very smooth, when you're pedaling it feels like it is made of silk! The Connex quick link is the best. German quality.

none so far

I have the nickel plated version, It is just as strong as the Sram, the stainless version will be weaker but that is the price you pay for no rust. The quick link works way better than the Sram link, it locks into place differently and is much easier to put on or remove. When this chain fails I will not hesitate to buy it again.