SRAM PowerLink™ Chain

SRAM PowerLink™ Chain

Every chain is only as strong as its weakest link—traditionally, the connecting link. In contrast, the PowerLink? connection is just as strong and durable as every other link in the chain.

[Jul 16, 2012]
Bob McComack
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

There fine when they work.

I've had several problems with SRAM powerlinks. The first time was during casual street biking and all of a sudden they collapsed in the middle of a ride. The second time I was climbing a fairly low incline trail and it just snapped. Then two weeks after I replaced those that broke on the climb, they broke again on a casual and relaxed trail ride. I haven't had the best experience with SRAM chains. Shimano are much less frustrating than SRAM. It sucks when your chain break at the beginning of a ride. Don't be like me and continue to replace your broken SRAM PowerLink with the same expensive and weak SRAM PowerLink.

Maybe give them a try and see if they work for you but for me I'm just sick and tired of sitting out of a bike ride while my friends are out having fun.

[Sep 04, 2011]
gear freak

Strength:

i generally clean my whole power train after riding in the rain, removing a chain using a chain breaker damages the side plates. a definite no-no with hyperglide

i would not ride with out this product. yes, i like it

various ones going back 20 or so years to the super kink

[Apr 25, 2008]
xcalibur

Strength:

Easy to assemble and take apart, if you practice before fitting it.

Tricky to take apart if you haven't learned how.and/or the link has got dirt jamming the plates.

An ESSENTIAL spare part. It will get you get you going faster and more securely than anything else if you get a chain break, (you still need a chain breaker to remove old links). I fit one in the chain so I can easily remove it for cleaning, and carry a spare when I ride. Fitting is obvious and easy, just check you have properly mated both parts. To remove PRESS THE SIDE PLATES TOGETHER, then slide apart. If the chain is dirty than grit may stop the plates moving when you press them together. In that case, hold the chain either side of the link and repeatedly twist to loosen the dirt and try again. Practice at home so you get the feel of it. Enjoy

Chain breaker to shorten chain.

[Apr 22, 2007]
down hill
Downhiller

Strength:

strong chain, it hasnt strechted too much, even after a downhil bike, street bike, and now on a trials bike

i only had the powerlink come undone once while riding, and the hardest part was finding the two peices in a huge parking lot

great chain easy to remove dont need any special tools to remove, just a pair of needle nose plyers. if you find a way to have the powerlink to come undone while riding, you did something horribly wrong

some shimano chain (i robbed it from my brother)

SGT. ROCK

Strength:

Works
Doesn't break

I hope these guys that can't open this connector aren't working on more complex parts of their bikes, like the brakes and headset. Any shop that can't get this thing open without tools is totally incompetent. Stay the hell away from my bike!

Taya connector

smokey strodtman

Strength:

makes it easier to remove chain for cleaning when working on drivetrain.

none.

lots of riders seem to have problems removing these links. this is what works for me; use bungee cord to pull rear derailleur forward and put slack in chain. turn powerlink 90 degrees to rest of chain. squeeze in powerlink sideplates with one hand while using other hand to squeeze on ends of link. if link is difficult to move, use needle nose pliers to squeeze sideplates and regular pliers to move ends. (i rarely have to use tools for removal). remember that one side has to go up while the other goes down. lots of gummy chain lube and dirt makes the process much more difficult. be sure to wipe off excess when lubing your chain and you should have no problems. your chain will also last a lot longer.

shimano connecting link.

[Jul 16, 2002]
Kiwi Pete

Strength:

excellent idea. Haven't been able to break it

Can't get it apart! Probably due to my low IQ!...I spent about 45 mintues trying to seperate the power-link and couldn't do it. Resorted to an old fashioned chain tool.

I like the idea.....if the powerlink were easier to seperate I'd buy another one..but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Nigey

Strength:

simple, strong, light, it works! No need to split chain to remove it anymore. It came with the chain I bought but it is cheap to get by its own.

You really have to get the knack of removing it; no reading of instructions will help you out that much until you do it. The link should be clean to aid removal.

First, I've got to say that on my first attempt to remove the power link, I got really frustrated. No amount of effort seemed to move the thing. I used pliers and choice Anglo-Saxon english to no avail. Then all of a sudden........ I got it. You really have to coordinate your finger pressure and direction at the same time.

My only reservation is after reading previous reviews -I wonder with time if it could become more difficult to remove -although it could be that previous reviewers got a bad lot, or it could be that they just didn't get the "knack". We shall see.

Anyway, since then removing it (have done so at least 6-8 times since) has been remarkably easy. It really is so much easier and better for your chain than having to remove/reinstall pins.

Like almost all the best ideas, it's really simple in design. Five chilis!

"regular" chain with chain remover

[May 22, 2006]
Kelly

Strength:

So far nice chain. Haven't used it too long yet.

None so far

The whole reason for this review was to let people know the trick to removing is pinching the side plates of the power link. I wrestled with it for a few minutes before looking here.

Grab the links on either side of the power link and push together until the powerlink is 90° to the chain. Pinch the side plates of the powerlink with one hand and push one of the adjacent links to slide the powerlink.

As soon as I pinched the sides of the powerlink the it slipped off very easy.

Shimano. This is replacing a broken shimano

[Aug 07, 2002]
Keefe
Downhiller

Strength:

Chain and link have worked fine for 6 months

Power link nick named PERMANENT LINK. Chain tool is faster.

Spent 45 minutes tring to get the permanent link out, after I tried evryones tricks as listed on this site. The idea is great and it works great when you have the link in your hand but you can forget it once it's on the bike. The only thing I can possibly think of is maybe somehow I squeezed a 9 speed link on an 8 speed chain? Good chain, bad link.

Other assorted chains with removable pins