SRAM PC-991 Chain

The PC-991 represents Sram's premium Power Chain II offering. Featuring an inner plate and outer plate design that offers faster and more accurate shifting in all conditions.

gringo117   All Mountain Rider [Oct 03, 2015]
Strength:

Smooth and reliable

It is not fancy.

The chain right of the box feels solid. In the end that what it is. If you are looking at this change you are looking for a strong chain. Well you have found it... and it has a joining link twith which the chain can be put together with bare hands (glows ;-) ).

Why four stars for the quality?
Because they are not made ouf of titanium.

Cheers

rider   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2012]
Strength:

i ride in the mountainous front range with lots of climbing and rocky descents. this is by far the best chain i have ever used. very reliable. easy on and off for cleaning. it is pricey but you get what you pay for. also, it helps to clean and lube any chain for it to last.

great chain and i'll go buy a new one soon given current chain has a lot of miles on it.

Similar Products Used: shimano
boogieman johnson   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2011]
Strength:

Zero problems

none yet

I bought this chain right when changes done in 06 and rode hard in CO for a few weeks, then parked it while I had surgery. Now after years of rehab and being able to ride without pain I have put some tough miles on it, shifting in steep inclines-including cross-chaining short term if needed, to not walk. After 732 miles on it, it may need replacing soon, but only failed me once. It was my fault. I hastily mis-snapped link together. Nothing gets 5 chili's unless I don't have to wrench it....ever. sorry I am a wrench by trade

Similar Products Used: sram, suntour, shimano, kmc
FirsTracks   Cross Country Rider [Jul 28, 2011]
Strength:

Easy on/off with PowerLink, good shifting, light & durable

None that I've found

This seems like some weird parallel universe of reviewers, as the many descriptions of chain breakage are completely at odds with my experience. I've been running PC-991 chains or its PC-99 predecessor for over 10 years now, after wearing out the Shimano XT chain that came on my Sugar and deciding to try the SRAM to go with my SRAM driveline and to get the ease of use with the PowerLink. I liked it, and have run only these chains on that and my subsequent bikes. I am 6' 3", 190 pounds and am a strong, aggressive rider, but I have never broken a chain in about 15k miles of riding in nice or nasty Alaskan conditions, on road and off. This includes high-stress hammering up climbs and over ledges and big root balls on the mtb, or standing and powering over rollers in the big ring on the road bike. I can't square that away with the cases of breakage being reported, and think this chain is getting a bum rap.

I do take decent care of my gear (not just the chain), so as not to find myself walking out, but nothing particularly unusual. I usually run the Hollow Pin chain on the road, and the stronger Cross-Step chain on the mtb's and snow bike. I hose off the chain when muddy, and keep it well-lubed and running quiet (using BoeShield T-9 lube as my current favorite). I check the stretch periodically and replace the chain at 0.75% stretch to preserve my more-costly front chain rings, usually getting 800-1000 miles on the mtb chains and 1800-2000 miles on the road. I don't shift the front under power, but do shift the back under fair power. I run X.0 twist shfters and can jump multiple cogs at one time, but do avoid running full-cross chaining. I've broken freewheels and torn off rear deraillers on trail hazards, and have been able to fix things on the trail more easily with the PowerLink, but have not broken a chain. Just regular use in daily riding, and excellent shifting and reliability with the X.0 drivelines.

What's not to like? I go through a couple of chains every year, and have just ordered a couple more to get me through this season. I bought them on Ebay as usual, and am confident that they will continue to work well.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, older SRAM generations
blazin396   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2011]
Strength:

light weight

sram chains break easily

I have ridden Sram chains mostly but everytime I start to putthe power down the chain breaks. The last two times I went to push up a hill at speed the chain broke and I went flying into the ground, these chains have sent me to the hospital twice I am about to send my bill to sram lol.

Similar Products Used: sam 951 and sram 971
Camdonite   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2010]
Strength:

Quick-link

Quality

I rode about 5 miles with this chain before I broke a link. I had my bike professionally tuned up and lubed a day before I took it out and a half an hour in it broke. Buy SRAM cassettes, not their chains.

Similar Products Used: Shimano CN-HG74
Velcro39   Weekend Warrior [Sep 15, 2010]
Strength:

Strong, reliable, quiet

Price? Totally worth it, though.

This is the first chain I ever had on this bike. Used it intensely for almost 5 years, broke once or twice. Next to no maintenance the whole time. Finally replaced it because it was old, loose, noisy, and rusty. I had so few problems I picked up the exact same thing to replace it. Still haven't had any problems. I'll keep this one maintained and lubricated though.

mattalrob   Cross Country Rider [Mar 29, 2010]
Strength:

Strong, easy shifting, reliable, powerlink means easy to take off

None that I'm aware of

First of all, I just can't understand the criticisms of this chain from the other reviewers. Unless it has been fundamentally changed in the last few months, then they seem to be writing about a completely different chain.

All I can say is that I have ridden literally 1000s of miles on these and they have never let me down. The powerlink is such a simple idea (so simple that Shimano still stick to old-fashioned link pins) and makes taking off and cleaning the chain simple.

Admittedly I do try to look after my chains, in terms of keeping them clean and lubricated, as well as trying to avoid shifting under pressure (more so as not to jump the chain than avoid wear). But I'm a heavier rider and give these things a fair pounding.

I've just bought two more chains and will report back if I have any issues - I'm off on a 500-mile tour in July which should give it a good test!

Similar Products Used: Shimano HG93 & HG73, SRAM PC971
romr   Downhiller [Feb 27, 2010]
Strength:

Quicklink.

Everything else.

What a piece of crap guys. I built my Santa Cruz with this piece of crap because it was on sale at PP. I bought 2 of these. Basically I get on a ride and when you need it the most when you're cranking up the hill the stupid thing fails and breaks, at first I thought it was the quick link, however, after further inspection I saw that it was a pin that had just popped out. What a freaking bummer trying to fix this piece of crap while on the trail. So I did, came home checked everything and double checked it. Fast forward 10 rides and sure enough while pumping air into my tire I glance at the chain and half of a pin is out with one of the links hanging loose. I proceed to spend the next half an hour in the parking lot trying to fix this stupid thing, luckily I had a whole new link and just replaced it after removing the bent as hell part. So everything is great now right? WRONG! As I'm going up the hill, the exact same freaking place it broke the first time, the freaking thing breaks again!!! ARG! Unbelievable! I gave up, just coasted and "skateboarded" my bike down from the trail; consider this your fair warning what a piece of crap! I'm giving it a chili only because I can't give it -20!

Similar Products Used: Shimano, so much better.
mfennell   Cross Country Rider [Oct 05, 2009]
Strength:

Dunno

Breaks.

Just logged onto MTBR to see if anyone else had the same problems I do. Lo and behold, I am not alone! I just broke another one of the things yesterday, starting from a top on a steep hill in the granny. C'mon! Always the same failure mode - one of the plates pulls off.

I am not a maintenance zealot, granted, but wipe down and lube the chain every other ride. In 15 years of road and mtb riding, I've broken two Shimano chains. In 2 years of using the SRAM 991, I've broken three of them. I'm going back to Shimano.