SRAM PC-99 Hollow Pin Chain

PC-99 Hollow Pin

SRAM PC1091R 10spd Hollow Pin Chain: 10-speed SRAM and Shimano compatible chain. PC1091R: same as PC1091 plus cut-out side plates for reduced weight (250g)

Michel   Weekend Warrior [May 23, 2008]
Strength:

It's light

It fails

I bought this chain to shave off a few grams from my bike. On the third ride in the mountains it broke and I lost the pin... I had to walk home.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Ian Yorston   Cross Country Rider [Aug 05, 2007]
Strength:

Lightweight, shifts smoothly, quick link is king

Expensive, quality control

I have a mixed review....
The first hollow pin chain lasted just over one season, with no stretch. I was impressed because I had gone through 5 shimano chains the season before. The new sram chain however has broken 2 times in one month. My buddy also has one and it lasted 2 rides and also broke and that was on a comletely new drive train. I am wondering if there is a quality control prob at sram.

I am always on top of cleaning my drive train and ensuring everything is lubed so this is not a neglect case. I weigh 180 lbs and make sure i don't power shift. I have bought a third sram, if this breaks then i will not buy this product again. prob will look at KMC or Roholoff

Similar Products Used: Other Sram Chains and Shimano
Bill   Cross Country Rider [Feb 07, 2007]
Strength:

Great shifting in the flats, Lightweight, Chrome Hardened Pins,

Chain snapped on first granny grinding uphill without a power shift - Expensive

Chain is weak and expensive

Similar Products Used: Shimano hg, Dura Ace, Shimano XTR, Sram PC 971-951
FirsTracks   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2007]
Strength:

Light, strong, easy to install or remove with power links, shifts great

I've run PC-99 hollow pin chains for several years now, and have been very pleased with them. I run them on both my mountain bikes, and run a similar PC-89R hollow pin chain on my road bike. All told, I have about 8000 miles (mostly mountain) on these chains, and have never broken or damaged a chain. I get about 1000 miles per chain, and change them out when they have stretched more than about 1/16" per 10" section. I ride mostly XC trails here in Alaska, but with plenty of rocks, roots, sharp climbs, etc which stress the drive train. I'm 6'3" and 190 lbs and ride fairly aggressively, but I'm not a hucker or freerider. I keep the chain fairly clean, usually wiping them down with a rag before relubing and avoiding deep-penetrating solvents, and then I lube regularly with a variety of products such as TriFlow, CrossCountry wet or dry lube, and my current preference, BoeShield T9. I try to avoid cross-chaining the gears and avoid forcing a front shift under load, but I frequently shift the rear under full load. The combo of this chain, a SRAM X.0 derailler and a Shimnao cassette shifts beautifully; I'm less happy with SRAM cassettes. The hollow pins don't save much weight and are a bit spendy, but they look cool and work fine. The PowerLinks are great for installing and removing the chain, and I always carry a couple in my bag for trailside repairs if needed, though I haven't needed them. Given other people's problems with breakage perhaps I've been lucky, but I certaintly don't baby these chains and they've been great for me. I plan to buy more.

Similar Products Used: SRAM PC-99, PC-89R hollow pin, PC-991 hollow pin, Shimano DuraAce/XTR and Ultegra/XT, various older 5 and 6-spd chains
Al   Cross Country Rider [May 04, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight

Chain snapped twice in 4 weeks since installing it new. On both occasions a pin had popped out.

Have changed to Shimano Durace. Would not recommend this chain to anyone. I am only a 140lb rider and have never snapped chains at this rate before.

Jason   Cross Country Rider [Nov 16, 2006]
Strength:

Strong, lightweight, power link kicks ass.

read bottom line

I used this chain for almost a year. I meticulously maintain my bike and especially the chain. I guess I mashed the chain a little too hard during a shift. I gouged the inner link and it made an indentation which in turn seized that particular link. So needless to say the chain is shot. I now run a PC-991 chain and haven't ridden it hard yet but it does have a convex outer link which may enable smoother shifts. We'll see.

Bottom line is, I've ridden fairly crappy chains with no problems but was wanting to save weight with the PC99 and low and behold ended up scrappin it. Get the higher rated (according to MBA mag) and get the PC991.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, cheaper Sram chains.
ALLEN   Weekend Warrior [Mar 19, 2007]
Strength:

Weight? SRAM product?

Chain snapped after 4 miles of road riding.

At this point I would not recommend SRAM chain products. I LOVE there rear derailleurs, Rock Shox, Avid Juicy's, but their chains suck! I used this chain to replace a PC-59 chain that had very little wear. It snapped on the trail with a different drive train. I fixed the chain with a Powerlink. This snap after a one mile road ride at the Powerlink. I bought this new Hollowpin chain to replace it...it snapped! You decide!

Similar Products Used: SRAM PC-59 & various Shimano Chains
Joel Mabry   Cross Country Rider [Feb 20, 2008]
Strength:

Light, quick link makes it easy to get on and off

The chain broke with only 3 months of use. I'm only 160 lbs and spin rather than grind. I cleaned the chain regularly and it had less than 200 miles on it. I replaced my middle chainring and cassette at the same time so it was running on new teeth.

I'm going back to Shimano.

Similar Products Used: PC 991
AC/BC   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2006]
Strength:

Light weight, strong, shifts extremely well for its weight.

None as of yet.

If you are looking to shave a little bit of weight off your drivetrain then this is the chain for you. Otherwise go with something cheaper. The shifting is on par with the best chains and is lighter then them. I've mashed on this chain and is has held up very well so far.