SRAM PC-99 (9 speed) Chain

PC-99 (9 speed)

The ultimate 9-speed chain. Smooth shifting and compatible with SRAM, Campagnolo® or Shimano® systems. Road or off-road, 2x9 or 3x9, this chain is ready for competition at the highest level.

Brad   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2005]
Strength:

Light

Strength

I have had this chain break trice in the last three rides. Both times it was not at the power link. One time I was seated and spinning uphill and the other time I was standing up going uphill. I weigh 170lbs and my bike is less than 20lbs. I do not trust this chain. Every component on the bike was brand new when the chain was installed.

Rich   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2003]
Strength:

strength, finish no rust,smoothness

only the cost, possible stretch, powerlink

I'm by no means a light weight and I have found this chain holding up to anything I can give it. The old pc48 links froze up and broke a couple of times. This one no problems. Using Prolink chain lube,very smooth shifting, and no skipping as others have posted. Good chain. My 9 speed system shifts better than my 8 speed with the same lx derailler.

Similar Products Used: pc48 on eight speed
Mark   Weekend Warrior [Mar 31, 2006]
Strength:

Lightweight smooth shifting

Power Link is a good idea but isn't as easy to disassemble as touted, at least initially. Chain isn't durable.

If your a big guy (I weigh 220 plus) or ride hard and with some torque this isn't the chain for you. I don't know if it is the hollow pin or the power link. I have had the chain break three times in three different spots. I'm out of links and shopping for a different brand. Too bad, because I like the rest of the drivetrain.

Todd   Cross Country Rider [Mar 21, 2006]
Strength:

Strong, fairly light, durable

Not the BEST shifting you can get

This review is for the solid pin version. For price, durability, and ease of use (powerlink) I don't think you can get a better chain. I'm 210lb and have rarely broken these chains. I do however spin fast and don't grind so if your heavy and pushing 40rpm up a hill you may have problems. I use these chains with my commuter as well and have got thousands of kms on them. Great strong chains. Best to use with a SRAM cassette.

I have also used the hollow-pin version and found it to be much weaker breaking it several times. Also, the pins just get filled with dirt so if your looking at saving some grams, don't bother as you'll just be carrying mother nature around with you instead.

Similar Products Used: Other Shimano, Sram
nate   Racer [Mar 13, 2006]
Strength:

-lasts a while
-I really like the powerlink while cleaning.
-weight

-not quite as smooth as Shimano

This is the longest lasting chain I've had...period. Every Shimano chain that I've owned BROKE. Shimano chains give you no warning before they fail. Three races were lost last year due to Shimano schitty chains. I did have a chain tool during the last two races, but the chains kept breaking (one instance was in three different spots). All three chains were brand spankin' new.

Third times a charming. I've gone SRAM and I haven't looked back since, havn't broken a chain since either. Knock, knock, knock. When the SRAM chain starts to stretch...replace it. Before it streches...clean and lube it. I will give Shimano this: their chains are a LITTLE crisper while shifting. BFD

Similar Products Used: PC-79 and many Shimano HG
Richard Price   Cross Country Rider [Oct 07, 2005]
Strength:

SRAM pc 99 Hollowppin
Definately Power Link, ease of cleaning, shifting is great
It seems that alot of people have broken this chain, I have been using this on my road bike, xc bike and my free ride bike. No problems, no breaks. I have been very happy with this chain. Very light and if you use www.qbike.com you can find them pretty cheap. I do alot of racing NORBA, Xterra, 24 hour races and have had no problems.

None so far

Great chain, light, cheap, POWER LINK rocks.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, KMC, Connex
spongerator   Cross Country Rider [Dec 16, 2001]
Strength:

Easy to put on, powerlink gold, shifts well

None so far

With this and the 9.0 powerglide II, I have no more Shimano XT problems. I love the way it goes on and off, since I really take care of my bike, due to all the mud, dirt, water crossings we do. And the link is easy to find.

Similar Products Used: XTR,XT
BikeNAuckland   Weekend Warrior [Nov 29, 2001]
Strength:

Shifts great, comes apart easily for cleaning without shortening chain life extra PowerLink makes good spare link on the trail.

I had to pull off my shimano chain when it jumped the inner ring and wedged itself between the ring and the iDrive eccentric, peaning the link in question until it didn't move any more, resulting in a string of attempted fixes that resulted in a long walk home. If I'd had an SRAM chain with the PowerLink on it, I could have ridden home after a very short period of time. I admit that I was skeptical at first, fearing that the chain would be prone to coming apart on its own, but all my attempts to get it apart failed until I succembed to the last resort of reading the directions. There is a trick to it.

The great thing is that now I can properly clean the chain after every gritty trail ride without worrying about shortening chain life or fiddling with the #$&%! chain tool. Everything is working a lot more smoothly than it used to as a result, and that's worth the expense in my book.

Mike   Cross Country Rider [Jan 14, 2004]
Strength:

Relatively light, strong, shifts well. Overall better than Shimano.

MSRP is a bit on the high side.

The "chain" is one of those things widely used but poorly understood. The performance (life) of a chain is directly proportional to the environment in which it lives. Most of us drag our chains through the harshest environments, clean infrequently and when we do... do so improperly. Expect it to be as light as possible... and last almost indefinitely.

Oh and let us not forget those who mis-match worn components with new. And improperly splice chain links when installing a new chain. In short, if you bust a chain.. YOU need to take a lesson in bike maintenance. For example, the break strength of a standard SRAM steel chain (NEW) is approximately 2,944lbs. Hence if your body weight is busting a chain... I think you should review your maintenance procedure and/or knowledge of such.

Financially speaking, its better to use a lower cost chain and replace often, than it is to buy the best and replace seldom.

Bottom line. Clean & lube as much as possible, monitor sprocket wear, buy yourself a chain stretch guage. If you maintain properly, your sprockets should be good for approx 3 chains. If you use +2 chains a year... Pat yourself on the back for being a trooper and stop complaining.

So now that I'm finished rambling. This chain rates excellent in my book, but its price keeps it from being a "must have".

tj   [Feb 17, 2002]
Strength:

Good looking

Broke chain, I could never remove the powerlink...

I bought the 99 as a treat to myself since it was the fanciest. It ran well - about 1/32 stretch after 4 months so I figured that I was 1/2 through its life. I raced today and the darn chain snapped on me! The first time I broke a chain in years. I never had this problem 59 or 69 sram. Do yourself a favor - save your money and dont spend the bucks on the 99. Also, I never waas able to disassemble the chain - I dont know what I was doing wrong...