SRAM PC-69 (9 speed) Chain

SRAM PC-69 (9 speed) Chain

Championship winning performance priced for an enthusiast's budget. The PC-69 is SRAM's top of the line 9-speed chain. Finished off in a flashy silver finish, this chain is race-ready.

• Use the PC-68 with 8-speed cassettes
  • Compatible with many manufacturer's 8/9 speed cassettes

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 07, 2006]
    BRIAN Schultz

Strength:

don't know yet ridden twice. shifts great

broke both times

I have gone out twice so far and both times I broke this chain at the same place on the trail first time i thought it was a fluke second time no way i have a way way(02) older chain on another jamis that is still going strong that rode thoes same trails last year not a prob. I called greenfifsh said i bought this chain it broke twice he said 15.00 bucks i'll send you a new one. thanks thats kind of crappy got the new one right away though 2 days. i'll try it this weekend hopefully the next review will be better srams a great name in parts it all reviews well this chain is supossed to be great but some of the other reviews do say that it does break dont know if thier is a size limit i way 245 5'10 no probs ridding at my size for me

shimano kmc

[Aug 22, 2003]
    Russell Ruggiero

Strength:

Much better than stock Shimano offering.

Dear
    Reader

I too have experienced "Ghost Shifting" with my Shimano OEM chain. The stock chain fell apart after only 300 miles of riding. My dealer put on the new SRAM offering, and the "Ghost Shifting" has gone, while improving overall quality of shifting. A very nice upgrade for $25.00.

Sincerely
    Russ

Shimano

[Jun 02, 2003]
    george

Strength:

Well, I used this chain for slightly over one month, (100 miles or so) but that's not a choice on the pull-down menu...I like the links in this chain; the pins are easy to work with, unlike the new Shimano pins. Unlike some others reviewing this chain, I found it strong. I used it on my mountain bike doing muddy MUDDY crosscountry, and killer uphills.
    (Yes, I ride in the mud. Sorry if it offends certain bike manufacturers to remain nameless ;-) You know who you are...

Chain suck...although the conditions I was riding in were extreem (pouring rain, mud over lower rear derailer pulley, chain in the mud).

I actually liked this chain, never broke even under extreem conditions/uphills, but I abused the hell out of it and now I'm getting some chainsuck in the smallest chainring under severe uphill. Started in the pouring rain (gee, ya think?). No problems on 2nd chainring and lowest gear, wheelie poping uphills... I weigh about 170lbs and found this chain to have fewer problems than my Shimano HG (links kept seperating on that one, what a pain; not to mention the two front derailers destroyed). I'm going to clean this chain, (scrub the chainrings, too) and give it one more chance. I'm also thinking of trying a Whipperman stainless with all the riding I do in the rain (ever been to Rochester? It always rains here. Beware manufacturers who say not to ride in mud here!) Maybe go back to the Shimano if they ever re-design the pins. Maybe if I used SRAM chainrings it would work even better. Oh, yeah, I didn't use the master link--just put the chain on with a chain tool old-school style and it didn't break.
    Bottom Line: For $15, it was a great deal.

Shimano HG

[May 23, 2003]
    Kevin

Strength:

Same lifespan as all the other 9 speed chains I've used

Same lifespan as all the other 9 speed chains I've used

If 1000 miles is an acceptable lifespan to you (500-600 is you want to save your cassette) then this is a good chain, I'm shopping for old 24 speed stuff. I did work well and shift well, it's just this mega 9 stuff is to thin to last long.

PC 59, shimano POS

[Feb 13, 2006]
    M Star Lambert

Strength:

Never fails, cleans easily, shifts good, power link gold

Could shift better on my FireX crank on 44 chainring

Very durable, have never broken one, did manage to bend 1 link once just enough to notice it making a funny noise. Would definitely buy again. Easy to do maintenance. My only gripe is with it shifting to the highest chainring. I build bikes and tune my syetem on a regular basis but this chain slips a bit more than I would like going up to the big ring. The downshifts are quick and easy. Trying the PC-971 or 991 next supposed to shift better with Truvative per ad.

Shimano HG-72

[Feb 24, 2002]
    Mojombo

The truly great thing about this chain is the PowerLink. Need to take your chain off? No problem, just yank, snap and presto! chain's off. No chain tool necessary. I rode this chain for a year (before my bike was stolen) and never once broke or experienced any problem whatsoever. Shifts nice, cleans easy, and does exactly what it should. Never again will I buy a normal chain! I used mine on a full Shimano based drivetrain, so no compatibility issues either. Remember, keep those chains free of gook and buildup, oil regularly! Five flaming poops for an excellent design that should have come sooner.

[Apr 26, 2004]
    Simon

Strength:

Powerlink works for me, chain shifts well once bedded-in.

shorter life than I'd like.

When I first fitted this chain I was suffering from chain suck, which dissappeared after around 50 miles. After that, it has always shifted nicely and seems pretty resilient to the frequent mud & sand baths it gets on the South Downs - just wipe it down, re-oil and wipe again after every ride. I've managed about 1000 miles of mixed riding on it, but the last 100 have seen it start to get way too long.

I think the chain suck problem was due to a slightly worn rear cassette (XTR). After a bit of riding the chain gets stretched and the problem goes away. If you're getting the same problem with any new chain, check your jockey wheels and cassette for wear - it probably isn't the fault of the chain.

When I get around to renewing the cassette, I'll go for a tougher chain like the Rohloff, but another one of these will do for now as it will probably bed-in more quickly.

SRAM PC58, cheap, Trek-fitted Shimano.

[Oct 15, 2003]
    Joel

Strength:

The fact that you can remove the chain without taking out the pins is awsome. Very strong.

This is a great chain. Much stronger than shamino. I broke the dura ace twice, not because I was shifting under a lot of pressure on the chain. If you want to spend $18-$25 for a chain, you cant, go wrong.

Shamino dura ace, and stock chains.

[Apr 09, 2007]
    Aaron

Strength:

Durability, corrosion resistance, power link

warranty doesn't cover bad rider mistakes ;-)

First off, I generally don't break chains...in fact, these PC-69's have suffered more bad luck than all the chains I've had previously combined (been riding over 12 years).

I'm on my third and last PC-69 (I purchased three in 2004) but the other two have not failed due to bad product. The first one failed due to a bad shift into my worn granny gear which caused major chain suck. This cracked a link...though it did not completely fail. I repaired it, no problems. This chain eventually was pieced together with the second chain. The second chain was on my Kona I used to own, and I essentually killed it by slipping my back wheel off a ladder and severely bending the chain by dragging it along the side of the ladder. The pieced together first and second chain actually lasted two years after that! The third chain is now on my Jamis and going strong.

Shimano HG 93, KMC Z9900

[Nov 13, 2001]
    matt

Strength:

it shifts

weak! WEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! super weak! and it breaks. because it is weak.

i am so sick of 9 speed drivetrains. i have started to develop a fear of grinding up super steep hills because this damn chain has busted countless times, and i have had to shorten it way too much. i have ordered 8 speed stuff, and i will not be getting the sram chain. i am gettig the fat KMC bustah. same goes for shimano, i have busted all of them. 9 speed sucks!

shimanos, soon to use a KMC