SRAM PC-68 8 Speed Chain

SRAM PC-68 8 Speed Chain

PowerLink Silver connectors, steel w/chrome hardened pins, cross step riveting & fully nickel plated finish.

[Mar 27, 2010]
K2 Fella

Strength:

Price was right, chain works great and the power link is nice

none yet

for the money it cannot be beat, I cannot find anything negative about this chain.

[Oct 01, 2005]
Bryce

Strength:

Decent price, Quality, Nickel Plated, Shifts nice, durability.

N/A

Overall, good in all conditions. Have gotten it extremely muddy, and dirty with dry dust on trail. Nickel plating seems to really help. Survived a deraillier hanger snapping, then getting spun around the wheel in the spokes one revolution and being pulled tight at an ackward angle by that. Then to get home I converted my bike to singlespeed and finally pieced it back together when the hanger was replaced and still works fine!

Shimano

[Jan 05, 2007]
Andreas Klauser

Strength:

good chain, no chain suck, chain lock

rather expensive

Good chain, no chain suck (as with last year's production of Rohloff). Used to be a Rohloff fan. Chain lock nice idea, though not essential (if you happen to own a Rohloff Revolver).

Rohloff STL 99/achtfach=8; Shimano IG90

[Mar 26, 2007]
Jake Finnan
Downhiller

Strength:

Good shifting, good price, great looking, not stretchy, not too heavy, powerlink is nice, long enough lasting.

Rusts somewhat easy, could be a bit "nicer" but I am not complaining

Great chain for the price. I don't have any complaints. Looks great, shifts with decency. Cannot go wrong.

pc-58

[Nov 28, 2007]
Tyler

Strength:

Powerlink makes it a breeze to put on and take off and it shinny

It is a hair narrower than shimano's 8 speed chain

IT is a great chain. it being a little narrow than shimano chain was an issue for me because at the time I had some unknown damage to my middle chain ring that would cause the Sram chain to skip under any amount of load while the shimano chain worked just fine.
I got the chain to replace the shimano chain I had snapped a few weeks before hand and I had to go back to the shimano one.
Now my bike has the Sram chain on it because I replace my crankest to a new one which solved all my problems. For most people the narrow chain will not be a real issue unless one of your cogs or chain ring is very slightly bent it will be a noticeable issue

shimano

[Sep 09, 2006]
Rick

Strength:

decent weight, held up in muddy/dusty conditions to a point...

durability! i purchased this chain during a drive train overhaul at the beginning of this season (less than 4 months), and I just had to replace it for numerous stiff (kinked) links!

not sure what went wrong for the chain to need to be replaced after 4 months...well maintained, etc. the PC-68 is supposed to be SRAM's high performance 8 spd chain, but it doesn't hold up to agressive shifting. i just replaced it with the 48 version for more durability.

shimano OEM

[Jan 31, 2005]
Dan

Strength:

Cheap, burly, shifts very well, even when extrodinarily muddy, powerlink is nice (usually, see below)

Not so light, powerlink gets stuck sometimes

Holds up excellently to mud, and has a wallet friendly price. Great 8 spd. chain- about as good as it gets for 'em these days!

Shimano crap

[Feb 28, 2008]
Don Gillies

Strength:

- beautiful (100% nickel plated)
- durable
- descended from Sedisport
- this model and PC-58 made Sedis/SRAM #1 in chains.
- no need to use a powerlink
- realistic pricing

- surprisingly flexible (may slow down shifting)
- rusted a little after 9 months in dry conditions.

I put this on a fresh buildup of a vintage roadbike, then a few club rides later, rode it up the grinding 6-7%+ grade of Torrey Pines Road (1.5 - 2 miles) in a 54-inch gear (I weigh 200.) The chain performed flawlessly on that ride, and all the others, too. I have been assembling chains for 30 years so I just pinned it together, centering the pin, then flexed the chain around the newly-pinned link side-side until the link pivoted smoothly. Riding a 7-speed, I have no need for a power link.

I have been considering another chain but after reading 20 reviews of others, including KMC, I think I made the best decision.

Sedisport (black)
HKK Blue Skye (vintage ORO)
Regina ORO
Shimano IG (rust-magnet)

[Feb 24, 2008]
Steven

Strength:

Great chain and the speed link works great.

Haven't found any yet.

Over all this is a great chain. The speed link works well and makes changing it and installing a breeze. I still carry my chain tool but have yet to need it since I bought this chain over 400miles ago!!!

Stock chain on my trek 4300. Broke within 75 miles of trail riding.