SRAM PC-48 (8 speed) Chain

SRAM PC-48 (8 speed) Chain

Designed for 8-speed systems, road or off-road, the PC-48 was made for smooth shifting in all conditions. It features increased corrosion resistance and improved strength.

[Aug 18, 2003]
andrew phillips

Strength:

none that i can think of....

horrible chain, i only had it because it came with my GT bike. The piece of sh*t broke in 2 days!!! My friends tell me i am the gentlest on the shifters, so it couldnt have been me being hard on the chain.

LOOK GUYS, DONT BE DUMBSH*TS AND ACTUALLY PAY MONEY FOR A CHAIN THIS HORRIBLE... THESE STUPID PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY'VE HAD THEIR CHAIN FOR HOWEVER MANY YEARS MUST BE ABSOLUTE PUSSIES ON THE BIKE... GO WITH THE PC 68 AS THE OTHER GUY SAID...I DONT KNOW ABOUT THESE OTHER GUYS, BUT I PEDDLE MY ASS OFF AND DEMAND THE BEST! IF ONLY NEGATIVE NUMBERS OF CHILI'S EXSISTED!!! ABSOLUTE CRAP...

all around...

[Jul 03, 2002]
Joshua

Strength:

very easy maintenance, smooth shifting, reliable, strong, great value

a bit stretchy, but only under high stress like sprinting

this chain is definitely worth its price. the powerlink feature is so simple and easy to use. i can now get the chain on and off w/o tools and w/o worries about weakened pins. the only drawback is that the chain stretched and skipped a bit when i sprinted hard off the line. other than that, this chain is reliable, easy to clean, cheap, and a great performer

shimano

[Dec 07, 2001]
MikeO

Strength:

The powerlink is the smartest chain feature known to man.

They aren't free.

The Sram chains are great. I have been riding the PC 58 for the last 2 years and just switched to the PC 48 because it is cheaper. I can't notice any difference between the two, other than the color. You can find the PC 48 for 10 bucks at some places and this is a deal. I have found the Sram chains to me much more reliable than the shimano chains, hands down. There is absolutely no difference in shifting performance between the Shimano and Sram chains (at least with my bike set-up). Through my experiences, I have found that the Sram chains don't break or stretch as much as the Shimano ones (I weigh about 180lbs). The best thing about the Sram chains is the Power-link. This feature makes it so easy to take off your chain and clean it, something that should be done fairly often if you want crisp shifting. No chain tools to hassle with and no weakened pins from pushing them in and out. The one Sram chain that I have broken did not break at the Powerlink. Also, I use "BeauShield" lubricant (it uses patents from Boeing). This synthetic lube works really good with Sram chains (or any for that matter), I recommend it as well.

Sram PC58 and Shimano 8spd

[Nov 19, 2001]
serpico

Strength:

low stretch ,power link,price,quality

these chains are awsome.i put this chain on the singlespeed first to see how it would hold up.i only replace them every 6 months or so and the stretch is only about 1/16 inch.if this chain can hold up under singlespeed use it will hold up under anything.

kmc junk,shimano

[Jun 28, 2006]
Steve Fairclough

Strength:

Cheap and strong

They dont make it anymore

At $5 i figured i would buy a bunch as I wanted to experiment with gear combinations for my singlespeed project (I like to keep gears/chains as sets). Finally figured-out my best setup (32/16) and have around 1500 kms on this chain.

I have mashed the cr*p out of this and it has NEVER let me down. Rarely do I even clean it and I still can't measure any noticeable wear.

Possibly the best value mountain bike part I have ever bought!

PC 68, PC 69

[Apr 14, 2003]
tom

Strength:

SUCKS!!! THIS THING HAD HEAVY RUST AFTER 4 DAYS

rusts, rusts, rusts, rusts, rusts

Do not buy the PC-48 chain, make sure to buy the PC-68 chain. You will be wasting money if you don't, and you'll kick yourself in the ass. I love SRAM chains, but the PC-48 (intro model low performance chain) sucks chef's chocolate salty balls.

PC-68

[Jul 28, 2006]
Aaron

Strength:

Purchased this chain to replace my stock chain. Workd great & is very easy to take off & put back on, yet is extremly strong.

None yet

Very good chain, strong & dependale. Great for the price. Oh yes they still make this product you just have to look for it.

[Feb 22, 2005]
Simon Broekhuizen

Strength:

Price - cheapest chain at L.B.S.

Stretchy for sprinter like me.
Any chain rusts if you don't take proper care of it that's just a rediculous comment to me. Keep it greased.

Doing intensive 2 hour MTB rides almost daily. Used for about two months.
Only reason why I will continue using this chain is because of it's powerlink, availability and price.
Chain is very important part of your bike, more important than cassette and cogs i like to believe.
I can't believe someone has used this chain for 3 months.
Maybe i should increase my cadence a bit and save some money.
Get used to the fact that chains wear out and REPLACE THEM ON TIME!

X

[Dec 25, 2004]
Rem M.

Strength:

Everything about this chain is perfect.

requires cleaning, wieght?? it doesnt have any.

Everything about this chain is perfect I have had 2 in the last 2 years. 1 was on my BMX race bike and bmxers abuse the hell out of chains and now I have it on my Diamondback Xts 04. I need a new chain now, only because this one is too short for my needs. If you go through chains non stop and cannot afford a more expensive chain try this chain out, for me its the best I can get.

KMC drop buster, shimano HG-91

[Dec 02, 2004]
Saddlesore

Strength:

it is strong, shifts reasonably well.

it ould be smoother for its shifts

Even after switching to an XTR cassette I was happy to keep this new chain. Compared to the others that I had tried, it lasted longer and was stronger than the others. Chains are alot a bout luck, but I must admit, when I had this bike I reefed on the pedals in way high gears, I was not a spinner like I am now with my gimpy knees. It is a strong chain. In many ways it makes me miss having the durability of 8 speed.If I had the cash I would get some 8speed XTR on my current rig. it just worked better, except for that nasty chainsuck in the granny.

various mid-level shimano chains, and a Taya