SRAM PC-1071 Chain

The Sram PC 1071R 10-speed PowerChain features a PowerLock connecting link - the only secure tool-less attachment device in today's market.

GoremanX   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2012]

Relatively inexpensive, powerlink is incredibly useful, shifts very well

Broke after less than 800km (500miles)

I'm starting to rethink this whole 10-speed thing on a mountain bike. At first I thought it was great, having a greater selection of gears to choose from. But now I've broken 2 10-speed chains in a year, whereas I've NEVER broken a 9-speed chain before (I used to run SRAM 991 cross-step).

Granted, I'm hard on my chains. I weigh just over 250 pounds and have VERY strong legs. I'll happily hammer up steep hills with maximum effort, with the back wheel skidding all over the place. But like I said, that's never broken any of my 9-speed chains before. I wish I hadn't invested in a 2x10 drivetrain, it's clearly not as strong or resilient as my old 2x9 setup.

The break occurred on the side plate of a link, around the outside edge from the pin. It just split there while I was hammering up a short hill. This is not a bearing wear surface, it's supposed to be rock solid.

I've ordered yet another 10-speed chain to replace it (a SRAM 1091 this time), because I'm a glutton for punishment. But if this happens a 3rd time, I'll go back to a 2x9 and leave this 10-speed fad behind.