Shimano HG 92 Chain

SHIMANO HG 92

George   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2003]
Strength:

Shifts nicely with shimano components, not too much chain suck.

Keeps coming apart! Broken my front derailer twice, and my rear derailer once!

Well, I love just about any Shimano component. This is the first Shimano component I'm dissapointed in. I've used the HG chain on my other bike for years with no problems. So, the first day I use this chain, it comes apart! So, I order a special Shimano compatible chain tool (great, now I need a special new chain tool...) and the chain works well for about two months of hard ridin'. Then there's this horrible crunch and one of the links started to seperate and it took the front derailer into the chainrings. Well, I had a spare front derailer...then a couple of weeks latter BLAM, the rear derailer and hanger are all messed up. A broken link's pin caught the derailer cage. Another week latter CRUNCH another front derailer is toast. There's just something wrong with the pins on these chains. Took the chain off and gave it to my riding buddies for spare links. Well, their shimano chains both broke this weekend and they needed the spares. I switched to SRAM PC69 and am happy, haven't broken it yet. I will try Whipperman stainless next.

Similar Products Used: SRAM PC69, Shimano HG
Vlad   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2007]
Strength:

Real tough, I use it with a Power Link and is awesome

it's consuming real fast (about 1500km)

cross coutry rider/racer. don't know what else to say ... think you don't wanna know more about the bottom line just about the chain, well Use any shimano chain with a Sram Power link, it's awesome, and it's not breaking

cheers

Similar Products Used: HG: 53,73,93
CN7701 (xtr / dura ace)
Wayne   Downhiller [Mar 09, 2002]
Strength:

Shiney, Shifts great, lasted a whole year with out a problem.

NONE AT ALL

O.K I live in the UK, the weather is not nice 9 months of the year, I weight 15.5 stone, I abuse components, I use my dual hardtail to XC rides on (14' tiny little heavy thing, I'm 6ft3) and I use a HG92 chain, I use a shimano chain cause it works with my XT block, I ride in mud and rain and I clean my bike lest than I should and my chain still shifts sweet and has NOT snapped!! I THINK this is 1 of the best chains you can buy

Similar Products Used: HG72, Sram PC48, HG90, HG70
Kevin K   Weekend Warrior [Jan 31, 2002]
Strength:

Dependable and light

pin instalation

I had to review this product because I cant belive all of the bad reviews. I keep my bike clean and adjusted and have never broken this chain. I did brake a 8 speed chain after 5 years of service, no suprise there.

Dave   [Sep 01, 2002]
Strength:

Shifts well.

breaks.

I've broken two. I'm a middle aged recreational rider who doesn't pedal very hard. I keep the chain clean and lubed, and it's installed correctly. A 2 sprocket rear shift under load, especially into the 34 t cog, can pull out the links. I'll try the SRAM next - seems to have a better reputation

Craig Bromley   Downhiller [Jan 21, 2002]
Strength:

Good name

Everything

Let me tell you a little story.....I had been snapping chains for 12 months with Shimano and new no better as Shimano was the name in the game! So every few weeks or so I would go back and ask for another Shimano chain and the shop would duly provide. Then one day a wise man said, why do you keep buying and snapping Shimano chains, why what else is there I say inocently, try SACHS or SRAM. I have both in use on two bikes and have only snapped one since in 18 months. I have a real bug bear about Shimano as they appear to have the best name in the business and I can't see why for eg: I have been through XTR & XT cranks like they are going out of fashion, the XT chainset last for about 32 seconds and then wears badly creating regular chain suck, chains snap just for a laugh, and the bottom brackets squeeks & squidges (technical term) like a mouse about to be run over. In their defense their shifter pods are excellent as are they SIS cables and rear mechs. Top magazines give top ratings because it's Shimano, I suspect there is no other technical assessment of their durability as that would be too much affort, I say credit where credit is due.....so good for some products and diaboloical for others. Get it together Shimano or we will all migrate for ever!!!

Similar Products Used: SRAM, SACHS
Bill Scott   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2007]
Strength:

It works

None worth reporting

Chains need be measured for stretch. The guy below complains because 1.5 year old chain breaks?!?!?!?!?! Buy a chain checker and replace the chain when needed and you will never have a problem. Leave a 1.5 year old chain on a MTB and your just asking for trouble

James   Downhiller [Nov 19, 2003]
Strength:

Well, None.

Ive broken this god forsaken chain 7 times in a month, it was fine for a year, then it just kept breaking and not always were a repaired it.. Junk.

Dont get this chain, and if your bike comes with it, replace it.

Rick   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2002]
Strength:

It's OK for a short amount of time.

It breaks. It is almost impossible to fix if you do not have extra Shimano pins

This chain is good for a short amount of time. I keep mine very well maintained. It broke! The side shredded on two links. If you do not have extra Shimano pins, or if your like me, and your chain breaks in the "wrong spot"; it is nearly impossible to fix. I will never buy a Shimano chain again. If my chain brakes anywhere on itself, I must be able to fix it.; instead I damaged two chain tools. Do yourself a favor, buy something other than Shimano. You will be much happier in the long run.

Similar Products Used: Sachs 59
Darko Andreevski   Cross Country Rider [Sep 30, 2001]
Strength:

Hmmm..I was using IG90 for long time, and i was satisfied.. But this one ... I can't remember what is positive..

Shifting (Truvativ Crankset/XT Cassete), durability...

While i was on 8 speed system, i was satisfied with Shimano Chains... When i jupmed to 9 speed, i found out that there is not so good shifting (the chain was jumping in Midle ring front, and 8 or 9 rear), and durability..
Today while i was climbing one hill, something snaped.. I found that chain was broken.
But only a pin or something.. A 5 or 6 links was totaly smashed... I was happy that i was not riding alone, so my friends was pushing me for 15 km (becouse we forgot to get with us Chain tool)
I'll try Sram chains, i hope they are better then this one