Shimano CN-IG72 Chain

Shimano CN-IG72 Chain

SHIMANO CN-IG72

[Feb 12, 2007]
John

Strength:

Strong chain that does what it's desgined to do.

None.

I replaced the stock Shimano IG-31 chain with this upgraded chain. I still use it to this day, when ever my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk is in for service (1week in 2004), (2weeks in 2005) & (6weeks in 2006). It has fewer kilometers on it & I expect a lot more years of service from it.
Bottom Line: A chain by Shimano that's just as good as the stock IG-31 that came on my 1996 GT Ricochet.

Whatever came stock on my 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn, Shimano IG-31 & Shimano HG-72.

[Sep 09, 2001]
Walter

Strength:

shines like the real thing

is this steel or chewing gum?

Used it for three months, was more stretched then a eight year old HG 91. (Don't know how many miles, must be a lot more then the 250 I got out of this one.)
A word of advice, try SRAM.

HG91 Sachs SRAM KMC

[Nov 16, 2000]
Ulrich Hansen

Strength:

Shifts OK, Cheap

BREAKS constantly!

This chain is simply too weak! I've broken three of them in 6 months. I'm not heavy, I normally doesn't destroy my equipment, but this sucks!

HG70, Rohloff, Connex 905, various Sachs chains

[Jun 11, 2000]
bladteth

Strength:

+ smooth shifting
+ price
+ durable

- no powerlink
- softer than HG's

This review is for IG70, not IG72, but I bet there is no significant difference between them. The chain itself is quite strong, yet softer than HG and stretch a little bit faster. After a year of work in demanding terrain it has never break or caused serious problems. Comparing to Sachs chains, IG70 shifting is a lot smoother and quicker under loads. However, with time it worsen by a fraction. One weak point might be lack of Sachs' powerlink but you can get used to it when it comes to cleaning and lubricating the chain. In my local shop, they sell IG70 for only $8.

Sachs PC20, 51, HG and low-end chains