Shimano CN-HG72 Chain

Shimano CN-HG72

John   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2007]
Strength:

Strond, does what a chain is designed to do.

None.

This chain came stock on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk and I've put a little over 9,000kms on it by December 10,2006.
It got a little rusty 2 times - 1x after getting caught in a rain burst when I was only 10mins from getting home and 1x after washing my bike and being distracted from drying the chain. I used WD-40 on it and it solved the rust issue.
I'll be using this bike to start my 2007 cycling season in March, just as soon as all the snow & ice have melted away.
Bottom Line: The same Shimano quality as the IG-31 & IG-72 chains I've used in the past.

Similar Products Used: Whatever came stock on my 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn, IG-31, IG-72.
Bob Birmingham   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 2002]
Strength:

None (apparently)

Pin design, lack of strength

Actually this is a review of the HG73, which judging from the reviews of the HG72, it definitely runs in the family.... Man, I felt like a moron when I broke my chain tool trying to break the chain (to hot wax it)... The pins are nearly impossible to get out, thanks to that funky lip on the end of the pins....After buying a more decent chain tool (and removing the link I trashed), I finally got the chain apart, waxed and reassembled. This morning on a grinding uphill the chain snapped. After repairing it, I only made it another 20 yards and it snapped in the same place. The pin is trashed and I'm already minus a link from yesterday, so at first I thought I'd buy a few extra links..... But after reading all the reviews, I think I will take one rider's advice and use the chain to stun small game. THIS IS A PIECE OF CRAP!!! Shame on you, Shimano.

Justin Wright   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2005]
Strength:

Looks very nice, has good action, until it breaks.

Once it breaks it is no good. The specific replacement pins are a pain in the ass.

Don't waste your money. while this product did work well for about 3 weeks, and admittedly I did ride it pretty dirty on the first time it broke, it is impractical for any on the trail repair

Similar Products Used: This is the first "quality" chain I have ridden on.
Otter   Cross Country Rider [Feb 24, 2002]
Strength:

None that I can find.

Broke on my first ride.... and fourth. Difficult to take apart and very difficult to get back together properly.

This chain is not very durable. It's tough to take apart and put back together again making for difficult cleaning. It breaks waaay too often. After the second time mine broke, I gave up and went back to Sachs.

Note to Shimano: My twig and berries are important to me. Perhaps instead of forcing things on consumers that few people want or need (like 9 speed shifters and derailleurs), you should focus on durability and reliability. It's dangerous to have chains that break as much as yours do!

Note to consumer: Buy at your own risk.

Similar Products Used: Sachs/Sram PC-59 and PC-69
Bill   Cross Country Rider [Feb 22, 2002]
Strength:

Shifted very well.

3 rides: 2 breaks.

First ride: Couldn't get 50 feet away from the car. Snapped the chain, took out the rear derailleur, hanger and serveral spokes (kudos to the shop for not asking questions and fixing the whole mess gratis). To point: this was in a parking lot with minimal stress and a shop install.

Second ride: Worked like a charm. Shifted flawlessly with several ascents/descents over very rocky terrain.

Third ride: Less technical trail but longer distance. It once again worked very well all they way until about 3/4 mile from the end of the ride. It snapped again on one of the flattest sections.

I understand that an improperly installed chain can cause problems, but this work was performed at the shop. It should also be noted that I can be a bit harsh on my equipment since I am 6'4" tall and weigh in at around 225 lbs. I rate the value poorly because of the potential cost for the damages of the gear that had to be replaced. The overall rating is better because the shift quality was superb.

Similar Products Used: Other shimano, sachs.
darryl   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2002]
Strength:

good, tough chain, wears well

using shimano pins to rejoin links

It would appear that many are having trouble with the shimano chain. The pins are very tight fit into the side plates, if you try to reassemble the chain with the original pin you are nearly guaranteed to take off a little cresent of metal from the side plate. If you use the correct replacement pin you will have a joint that is as strong as the original pin. For you newbies out there, don't shift under load. like sprinting uphill then banging off a couple of cogs while hammering your guts out, this will break most chains, even take teeth off the cogset!! Personally I use a less expensive shimano chain (shimano only)and change them often (like 3 or 4 per summer) keeps the cogs and chainrings happy and the shifting crisp like new.

Similar Products Used: sachs, kmc, taya
Cook   Cross Country Rider [Jul 28, 2002]
Strength:

Good Spare Chain.

Everything

I first got the Rockhopper. Went and did some riding and after about 2 weeks the chain went out. I replaced it with the SRAM PC99. Even under load and all kinds of conditions my PC99 never broke. I got better and then Bought a StumpJumper Comp. It came with this chain. On the freaking test ride I tested the bike under pressure.(NOT CHANGING GEARS) and the F*&^ing thing blew out and cause bleeding.
I still bought the bike but when I got home. The PC99 Chain came off the Hopper and on the Stump Jumper. I Purchased a new PC99 for the StumpJumper to finish out the year.

Replace Chains Every 2 months of intense riding. If you
race you may need to replace more. DO NOT BUY THIS CHAIN!!!