Shimano CN-HG53 Chain

• Super-narrow
  • Precision construction

Matthew   [Jan 01, 2013]
Strength:

Descent shifting

extremely weak

Horrible chain, broke after my 3rd ride. This is the 1st time I've ever broken a chain, it came standard with my new bike. Once it has broken, any fixes are very temporary, it just breaks again immediately. Might be ok for road, but never for mtb.

Mark   [Oct 21, 2012]
Strength:

The chain was on the bike when it bought it five years ago. The bike has completed numerous hundred mile sportives and training rides with NO problems. It has been cleaned and lubed once or twice per month. I have only just replaced it due wear.

N/A

N/A

Adam Becher   [Aug 23, 2012]
Strength:

6,000 km with no problems at all

Mounted on Merida road bike. Shifting all the the time. Lot of ascends. I've read a lot of reviews talking about broken chains. I just can't believe it. Mine is 6,000 km, replaced because of wear. No damage to chainrings or cassette.

Dennis   Racer [Jun 28, 2012]
Strength:

Inexpensive. Functional. Lasts.

Must use power link. A few grams heavier.

I bought this chain and just as many have found, it breaks. Breaks often and break easily. After some experimentation I found that the chain always broke at the link where I rejoined it using a chain tool. So, in an effort to solve the problem I decided to read the instructions that came with the chain. The instructions say that you are NOT to break and rejoin the chain at a rivet that has a little circle in the middle. What I found confusing is that every link on the chain uses a rivet like this. I proceeded to call a few LBS and asked for suggestions and they were stumped as well. My ultimate and current solution is to use a power link. Chain gives me zero problems now. I race with these chains on my MTN, road and cross bike. I use this chain on my commuter and on all of my wifes race bikes with no problems. At about 1/3 the cost of most chains, it just makes sense.

ant0   Cross Country Rider [Dec 05, 2011]
Strength:

Fast shifting, light

Weak

Do not buy this chain. I'm a big fan of Shimano parts however in my experience their chains are junk. Far too weak, I did mine in after 3 months and some commuting / 5 hard offroad rides. Fixed it up and it went a week later (different link!)

I've used a near bog standard KMC chain (cant remember model) but it is strong, works well with Shimano XT drivetrain. It may be slightly heavier but realistically is it going to make a difference in the real world? Pushing a bike back through a forest with night closing in isn't too fun!!

Similar Products Used: KMC
timxyz   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2011]
Strength:

Smooth shifting if gear changing tuned properly. (Shimano SLX)

OEM made in China not same quality as original.

I’m based in China as I work here. Bought MTB from Giant Dealer and chain come with the bike. It’s Shimano CN-HG53. I use bike for touring and I did 1050km on tarred road. Chain has never seen mud and grit. I’m very particular about shifting gears and always keep chain as straight as possible. After 1050km chain measured with vernier caliper over 6” and show 1mm stretch. I guess 500km more before replacing with new chain. Very disappointing. Next chain will be only made in Japan.

coeumo   Weekend Warrior [Feb 21, 2010]

Broke twice on my SECOND ride. Very disappointed in the quality of this chain. This is on a new 2009 Kona Caldera, chain came stock with the bike. I didn't expect to be the one dropping a chain yesterday, since I had the newest bike. If you're running this chain, you better bring a chain tool.

Warpig   Cross Country Rider [Nov 19, 2009]
Strength:

Smooth shifting

None really

After 3500 km of use, 80% road, 20% cross country, the chain is getting close to 1/16" stretch. I don't think that's too bad. Maintenance is lubing every 2nd ride with White Lightning Epic and washing with degreaser every month or so. I guess there's plenty of people who abuse their stuff more than I do: the chain's going to outlast the front derailleur and I've had no problems with it at all. Unless you're over 90 kg or are mechanically insensitive this chain will get the job done.

Similar Products Used: HG50
Alberto   Racer [Oct 18, 2009]
Strength:

Non so far

Super weak

Never buy this chain. It was brand new. I used it 7 times. I cleaned it and greased it correctly after each ride. Today the chain broke 3 times and could fine no logical explanation because I was pedaling in 1-2 or 1-3, shifted before the climb started and as soon as I put some strength to my pedaling the chain broke...

Similar Products Used: other regular chains
fabcira   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2009]

it broke after 6 months and when inspected it was damaged in several places: it had split in several places, not the pins or other, the different part of the chai. I had another new bike stolen before this one and the same chain broke twice in 3 months.

the shop is insisting this is not covered by the bike warranty claiming I should have lubed it more often. I use to lube it once a week and I just use the bike for 15 minutes a day to go to work, hardly hard work. The shop claims I should have done it every day. That is unacceptable to me.