Shimano CN-HG50 Chain

CN-HG50

This is an excellent replacement chain for any 6/7/8 speed(rear) bicycle. Shimano quality at an affordable price.

JNery   Cross Country Rider [May 04, 2014]
Strength:

I did some research and purchased this chain for $13 even. I got about 1000 miles out of it before it failed the chain gauge test and just installed another one I purchased for $13.

This chain did not come with a master link. I prefer a master clip on type master link. However using the Parks chain tool I have only added less than 5 minutes to the job.

I see many complaints regarding Shimano chains falling apart on the road. Learn from the mistake I made while installing a Shimano chain a year ago that caused the same early failure. Changing to a different freewheel I found I needed to increase the chain length by a couple of links. I quickly added back some of the original links I pulled from the chain during the original installation.

DO NOT REUSED ORIGINAL RIVETS. THEY WILL BACK OUT WITH THE CHAIN FALLING APART ON THE ROAD.
A special replacement rivet is needed. That was my mistake. I reused a link. Considering that it is hard to find replacement rivets I would have been better off throwing away the short chain.

So the moral of the story is that one should not condemn a product due to an early failure unless they are sure they did not cause the problem with a faulty installation.

Note that years ago main chains allowed rivets to be removed and pressed back in. Times have changed. Chain design has changed.

Barry   Downhiller [Nov 04, 2011]
Strength:

It lasted 8 months

It snapped

The chain snapped after 8 months. I've never had a chain snap before, but it's not good. I don't know where the fault lies, with the poor service at Bike Hub (shop) of Shimano. In my experience--DO NOT USE SHIMANO--It might kill you.

Similar Products Used: Original chain
The Frog   Cross Country Rider [Sep 02, 2010]
Strength:

(came with the bike)

Lasted 2000km

The chain came with a hybrid Trek bike (equipped with Shimano 3x8 gears). Used on a daily commute down an old railway path, it lasted around 2000km before it become noticeably slack. A quick check with a metal ruler suggested stretchy chain syndrome. No drama, no breakage, no corrosion. It lasted 12 months, and survived rain, frost, and summer sun. Just disappointed it wasn't more durable.

Similar Products Used: N/A
reviewer   Weekend Warrior [Jun 10, 2009]
Strength:

its so called 'standard' chain for 8x shimano cassetes, should work with them pretty well, looks solid

instant rust
instead of getting longer, chain breaks!

i had few hg50's and they are decent shimano chains. you cant expect much from them althro they should work well if maintained propertly. probably commuting is best usage for them, be prepared for worst if you are using them for other purposes like sporting or long tours(80+ miles). be warned that those chains preffer to break themselves instead of streching. be sure to connect it propertly or you will be sorry :S

Similar Products Used: hg30, hg40, hg53, various sram chains
Jon   Cross Country Rider [May 04, 2008]
Strength:

It works. Not showing signs of excessive wear.

Seems to suck in any loose dirt and gravel more often than competing chains. A little expensive when compared with a generic KMC chain which seems to be identical in form and function.

Expensive for no real gain. Busted a link for no apparent reason after only 80KM. Next time I think I'll just buy a generic KMC, a third the price.