Shimano CN-7701 Chain

Dura-Ace, XTR 9-speed chain. Precision construction maintains shifting response with narrower 9-speed chain width.

wmjosiah   Cross Country Rider [Dec 28, 2015]
Strength:

Shiny. Doesn't rust. Says Dura-Ace on it.

Unrepairable, weak

First off, I've been a dedicated biker, riding thousands of miles a year, for over 20 years, and I've never broken a chain before. Not once. I don't even replace my chains often - I usually wait so long that I have to replace the entire drivetrain at once. I've also been known to find old, frozen, rusty chains, lube them up, work them free, put them together with some other bits of chain I have lying around if they're not long enough, and ride like that... and they don't break. Before I bought this chain, I didn't believe people who said they broke chains. I thought they were just abusing them - shifting under extreme power, putting them together wrong, hammering on them, and whatnot. I'm not a monster racer, but I'm not weak. Just for some perspective about this chain. I put this chain together with the black "master pin" it came with, it snapped together positively, and I was perfectly happy with it for about a month and a half. Then I was cranking up a hill on a local trail, and the chain just snapped. I wasn't shifting under power, just cranking hard. I don't even know where the pin went - it went flying off somewhere. So I put it back together a link shorter, but these pins don't take well to being repaired - they mushroom and the plates bend (first time I've seen this either - a weak chain that you can't even repair? Forget it!). I pretty much expected it to break again, and it did, a couple of weeks later, but unexpectedly, it was in a different place. I put it back together, and later on that same ride, it came apart, in a THIRD place. I was able to put it back together with my trusty Crank Bros tool and get home, but as soon as I got home, I stopped in at the local bike store and replaced it with a KMC chain. Beyond disappointed. How can they get away with selling a chain this weak, especially at the Dura-Ace/XTR level? I'd ask for my money back, but I got it for like $18 from Ribble and really, whatever. I paid $18 to find out that this chain is utter junk. I'd rather have the cheapest KMC on the market, thanks. (I swear the new KMC shifts better too, but maybe that's just in my head, as the 7701 shifted fine).

Similar Products Used: KMC, SRAM
Dejan   All Mountain Rider [Jun 02, 2014]
Strength:

Nothing.

Weak as butter.

What a horrible peace oh sh**!!! I have read about this chain after have purchased it, stupid thing from my side, I admit that, should have read reviews before purchase, but I'got attracted by very low price for XTR chain and it turns out that I threw money away. Anyway, high percentage of reviews said that chain breaks to easily but I thought they must be the real racing people with a strength of a horse, thought it won't happen to me and a first ride after installing and after only one kilometer of ride chain breaks on a strait line (rocky tough) without even putting much of an effort to the pedals, one of the pins cracked and it wasn't even at the connecting point (have installed removable link there), I mean c'mon!!! In the last 19.000 kilometers of bike ride on same bike never happened to me with the cheaper chains and I thought I couldn't go wrong with the one of the "best" Shimano chains and it turns out I couldn't be more wrong!!! I MEAN AFTER ONLY ONE KILOMETER!!!!! Duct tape would've last longer!!!

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT, LX, Deore
RPaul   [Feb 02, 2013]
Strength:

Works. Most of the time, anyway.

Strength

A chain's a chain - got it from CRC for a song, so nothing to complain about. Works just fine and everything would be rosy, but I did manage to break it.
Some reviewers suggest that I - and the others with broken 7701s - learn how to link a chain, but all I can say, apart from mentioning up and yours, or discussing snot and ad hominem condescension in reviews, is that I've been linking chains for 15 years now, and never had anything breaking on me; until now, that is.
And the circumstances weren't particularly strenuous, by the way. So I don't know. We'll see how it goes.

Shady   [Jul 14, 2012]
Strength:

Durable, smooth chain

a bit expensive

All you people saying this chain "breaks" need to learn how to install a chain. It is critical you allow about 0.5mm of pin sticking out on either side or yes, the outer plate will slide off. So what if you have ridden for 10 years or whatever...learn how to let your LBS do their job or learn how to do it right yourself

jspell   [May 11, 2012]
Strength:

Never had a propblems with these chains

None, well maybe a little expensive if you pay retail

This is my choice of chains never had a problem and they last very well.

mcshaner2k   Weekend Warrior [Jul 29, 2011]
Strength:

Looks shiny and high end... It came on a bike I bought and I thought wow thats a nice chain!

It sucks, Broke twice and busted my A** both times.

I've been using $11.00 walmart Bell 3/32 bike chains for the last few years on 4 of my bikes. Not one has broken and I ride aggresive!

I can't believe this chain broke twice on me.

I read the reviews on this chain with my droid while I was waiting for my wife to pick me up broke down on the side of the trail.. NO JOKE!

The Dread Pirate Roberts   Weekend Warrior [Jul 01, 2011]
Strength:

Nothing comes to mind.

Snapped under exceedingly normal riding conditions (groomed trail) in the middle ring... not sprinting... gradual, predictable climb.

I've ridden long enough to make an effort to shift appropriately and I'm very good about maintaining my gear. Our only good trails are dry-use only, which I respect, so this chain has never seen mud. I've never broken a chain so quickly in eleven years of riding. Regrettably, I switched from an older SRAM chain to this model to see if there were any shifting benefits in conjunction with my XT rings. Nothing magical, and obviously not as durable as similar SRAM products. I have no complaints about XT components per se, and have used them with no issues for years. That said, I will not be purchasing another Shimano chain.

Similar Products Used: SRAM , XT (CN-HG93)
Zachariah   Cross Country Rider [Aug 05, 2010]
Strength:

-Smooth shifts
-Quick link compatible
-Affordable

Short lifespan, compared to SRAM PC-991 Hollowpin.

This chain ran the first 1900 miles on my road bike. It worked reliably and completed a few road centuries, before bringing it to my MTB. 400 miles later - I am getting bad chainsuck...and I am a smooth shifter, who cleans my parts after each ride. I previously put well over 4000 miles on my SRAM PC991 Hollowpin over two full seasons and it NEVER chainsucked ONCE!

The Shimano CN7701 on the road is fine. The design of this chain HATES dirt of any kind. The SRAM and KMC chains are far superior and lighter too. It's time Shimano re-design this decades-old design, for us remaining 9-speeders who refuse to, or cannot afford 10-speed drivetrains!

Similar Products Used: SRAM PC-991
KMC X9SL
mattyfresh   Racer [Mar 28, 2010]
Strength:

Light, shifts well

Weak

I just built up a new all mountain bike which can also race light downhill or even 4x. This chain worked great for any trail conditions. Shifted quickly/quietly/accurately. Took it to Fontana for some downhill racing - SNAPPED the chain getting out of the start gate. End result, great for trail riding / too weak for gate racing.