Shimano CN-7700 Chain

CN-7700

Shimano CN-7700

RICHIE O   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2005]
Strength:

AWESOME SMOOTH SHIFTING, STIFF AS A HUMMER. YOU CAN FEEL YOUR LEGS POWER ON THE TRAIL.

IT WORE OUT THE WHOLE DRIVE TRAIN SO FAST (SPECIALY THE REAR DERAILLEUR CERAMIC NEW PULLEYS AND LX 572 44 CHAINRING), W/O RIDING UNDER WATER OR MUD. +/- 550 MILLES

AS I SAID, THIS CHAIN IS JUST FOR RACING, MUST BE CHANGED EVERY 4 RACES. WHY? SHIFTS SO NICE, SMOOTH AND RELLY FAST BUT IT'S A CHAINRINGS EAGGER. I WAS SORPRISED WHEN I REALIZED THAT THE BIG ONE WAS SO BAD, SO WORE OUT IN ONLY 3 MONTHS OR LESS. I'M GONNA CHANGED TO SRAM OR HG 73 AGAIN(BETTER EXPERIENCE).

Similar Products Used: SHIMANO HG 93 - 73
axel   [Jun 25, 2003]
Strength:

smooth shifting,light,easy to put on,looks

none so far

Buy it after two years this chain has been perfect for me after i put it on the bike it shifted better and made the drive terrain more quiet. i love this chain and every bike that i have will have a shimano chain. either this one or at least an xt which i used to use.

Similar Products Used: kmc,sram,more kmc and more kmc
JT   [Jun 22, 2003]
Strength:

It's not on my bike anymore

Weak ... weak ... weak.

Can't give it less than 1

Three rides, less than 30 miles total and it snapped twice. The second time was it ... I removed it and I'm giving SRAM a try now. This is just utterly ridiculous. I had been running XT chains for the last 18 months and never had this problem.

Don't think that the fact that it gets a one means it's worth a one. I just wish I could give it a negative number.

For what it's worth ... this is the absolute worst review I've ever given any product.

Similar Products Used: XT Chain
Sam   Racer [Aug 29, 2003]
Strength:

Great chain
Shifts well
Lasts a long time

A chain break tool is required to remove chain

This chain is absolutely great and I really don't understand all of the poor reviews on it. Are you people installing your Chains correctly? It pays to be a little anal when installing such a critical item on your ride.

I absolutely abuse this chain, mash it, etc. I do take care of my chains though and this might be the reason they last and don't snap.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT/Ultegra, Wipperman Connex, SRAM
Rogue   Weekend Warrior [Aug 30, 2003]
Strength:

Lasts well
Strong
Those shimano pins are easy

The sticky stuff on new Shimano chains

I have used the CN-7700 for over a year and the CN7701 for almost a year. They are both very similar 9 speed chains (only real difference being the riveting) 7701 has mushroom or circular rivets which is meant to be stronger.
The Shimano pins are easy to use and never break for me, in fact i never have chain trouble as i look after them. This chain will not last forever though. I measured mine after 6months are roughly 1000-1200km and it had sretched 1%or about 3mm compared to the new one (same model i bought).
Look after this chain and it will look after you.

Similar Products Used: CN-7701 (current), IG90
mark   Cross Country Rider [May 31, 2003]
Strength:

the cn-7701/xtr looks great and shifts smoother than any chain possibly could..super smooth

no weaknesses noticed as of yet.

I think the chain is awesome. this chain works great with new XT drivetrain and shifters that I put on my new specialized stumpjumper fsr. I have all maintenance done by a great bike shop in Indy(Matthews Bikes) the cn7701 is a newer version than the 7700...hopefully it turns out to be trouble free..so far its been perfectl

Similar Products Used: hg73(lx) --the cn7701 xtr is much better
Petr   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2006]
Strength:

Solid, shifts perfect. Lasts long if you clean it...

More expensive

The only chain around $30 that I trust. (Just bought PC-99 which is poor compared to shimano.) Taking PC-99 and putting back the trusted chain XTR/duraace..

Similar Products Used: Lower end shimano chains and PC-99 by sram. But last 5 years have not been using anything else, just shimano's top chain
Casper Rubalcava   Racer [Mar 11, 2002]
Strength:

Very quiet and best shifing results with Shimano cassettes.

NONE!! Except for the shimano lube preinstalled.

This chain works great when installed properly. I own a shop and prefer shimano chains. Install 8 and 9 sp chains with no problems. We don't get customers returning with broken shimano very often. Had more problems when used Sachs chains. Just install it properly and the chain will work fine. Not sure why som many people have problems with shimano chains.