Sachs SC-40 Chain Chain

SC-40 Chain

Sachs SC-40 Chain

Pedro   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 02, 1999]
Strength:

Inexpensive
Quiet
Easy to install

Idiots who can't shift cleanly can break them...

The only reason not to use this chain is if you have money to waste on more expensive versions. Oh, if you're a klutz who hasn't learned to shift, then perhaps you're better off with a more expensive chain so that you can whine even louder when you break that chain... I've ridden on Sachs chains for years, and I've only broken these with a chain tool. They work as well (or better!) for 7 or 8 speed systems as anything you can buy -- for both on and off-road.

Similar Products Used: Shimano chains
John   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 22, 1999]
Strength:

Good value, shifts well

It broke once

I've had this chain for a little over two years, and although it did break once on a tour, I just took two links out and put it back together and have been intending to replace it ever since. Overall I've been very pleased with this product. The LBS recomended this chain when I was upgrading to an XT drivetrain.

Similar Products Used: Shamino
kelvin   Racer [Jun 22, 1999]
Strength:

It shifts smooth
Durability
Power link

None so far

Jesus, what a bunch of hippy whiners.
Think about your chain, ridden through grinding paste, abused after rides by not cleaning it, yeah chains have a really hard life. So that's why you should always measure your chain every week. I do, as soon as it stretches by a sixteenth of an inch then its into the bin.
I'm sure no chain used on a mountainbike can survive more than 500 miles without stretching significantly. My PC40 has been on my road bike for a few hundred miles and then moved onto my mountain bike where its so far done another few hundred miles.
I clean it after every ride using a chain cleaner and finish line degreaser and so far I've had no breakages. In fact I have only ever broken one chain and that was in a race and I'd abused it real badly. It got be back by wearing down my block so fairs fair.
The power link design is real nice, I hope the guy who invented it patented it and got loads of money of SRAM (I think Craig did it first).
Well all I can say is if your after an inexpensive chain buy one of these, they are great. Shimano chains are crap. Ignore the whining hippys below.

Similar Products Used: All sachs chains
KMC
Rob   cross-country rider [Sep 10, 1998]

Great performance for the price -- on a road bike! No, really, I know and love the M-55's off road, but this SC-40 thing's just not up to that kind of use. But I use'em on my road bike, get 1500 hard miles out of each one, and for what? About $8? Hard to improve on that.So, for off-road, maybe 2 stars. Kind of a stretch here (I mean it IS a mountain bike review), but I use a road bike to stay fit for off-road, so I'll give it full marks.

Larry   weekend warrior [Jul 01, 1998]

This chain was factory equipment on my Giant, it has only lasted a couple of months. My impression is that its a basic chain that can handle normal use, but if you're big (I am) and push it alot on hills you're going to break it alot. Broke it three times in the last month so its gotta go, will find something designed for heavier use.

spiff   cross-country rider [Feb 25, 1998]

My 97 Schwinn Homegrown came with a sachs m40 chain. I suffered a small crash at southmountain in Jersey. One of those larger boulders smashed my front der. and caused some serious rubbing noises and shifting errors. My sachs chain broke within 1/4. Luckily my bro had a chain tool and the repair was easy. Unfortunately it snapped again about a week later on a serious climb. My bike shopped replaced it with a shimano ig90. Now Im real happy. I know the front der. damage helped to cause the chain to snap, but this should never have happened twice. Especially to a 2 week old chain.

Dave H.   cross-country rider [Jan 10, 1998]

I just wanted to start a different review page for this chain to keep it separate from the Sachs 55 and
90 series.I ran this chain hard for almost a year through all (singletrack, rocks, roads, totally submersed in
many creeks, but mostly buried in mud) conditions (using a wet lube) and it never failed me. It
shifted like it was supposed to, never broke, and generally was a good all-around chain. Near the
end of the hard off-road year on it the chain had almost stretched to the point it needed changed so
it got changed (to a Sachs M-55). I just bought another SC-40 for my old roadbike that I
occasionally train on, and it rolls and shifts great (I don't expect it to stretch as fast being on a lot less
shock/stress inducing bike).For non-Hard-core use I think it would be a great chain if price IS a factor in the decision. I bought
the new one for $8.79 (Nashbar) which really isn't bad.

chaz   cross-country rider [Jul 21, 1998]

this chain sucks. i go thru chains pretty quick, but none as quick as this one. when i got my bike, i rode my chain for about 6 months then it broke. my next chani lasted about 4 months, then it broke. i decided to get a pretty good chain this time, and my shop reccomended a sachs chain cuz they for the most part were better than shimano chains. yeah right. i broke it after a week of riding. and it didn't just break. the link friggin shattered. the link litterally broke in half. then i got a shimano ig90, and its way better. screw sachs. go with shimano

chaz   cross-country rider [Jul 21, 1998]

this chain sucks. i go thru chains pretty quick, but none as quick as this one. when i got my bike, i rode my chain for about 6 months then it broke. my next chani lasted about 4 months, then it broke. i decided to get a pretty good chain this time, and my shop reccomended a sachs chain cuz they for the most part were better than shimano chains. yeah right. i broke it after a week of riding. and it didn't just break. the link friggin shattered. the link litterally broke in half. i lube my chain before and after every ride, so it wasn't at all dry. then i got a shimano ig90, and its way better. screw sachs. go with shimano

Allen Snider   Weekend Warrior [Jan 30, 2003]
Strength:

SACHS chains have been stronger and more durable for my heavy weight than any other chain I have tried on my road bike and touring bike. Once the chain was set up, the shifts were smoother and less troublesome than Shimano chains.

None compared to other chains I have used, but I can no longer get them from Nashbar or Performance.

I weigh 245 pounds and the SACHS chains have consistently given me well over a thousand miles with little stretch and few shifting problems.