Sachs PC61 Chain

Sachs PC61

[Jul 17, 1999]
ben florie
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

powerlink

it ain't cheap

i've had two pc-61 chains, and they've both lasted about a year each. i never lubed the first one, save for some wd-40 (crappy). they've both broken at bad times, but all the chains i've ever used have done that. i've used shimano chains, and they wear out in about 3 months. at least my last on broke while i was practicing before a race. 4 stars cuz i don't have $25 to blow all the time

everything

[Aug 08, 1999]
Mike

Strength:

Very Tough Chains!!! Durability will amaze you!!!!

None!!

Had some problems with these chains but after contacting Sachs they replaced three chains I had due to a recall on them, since I had the new chains I have only used one and it is still just like new. I weigh 240 lbs and am hard on stuff and never broke one of thess guys!! My 130 pound buddy snaps Shimano like Spaghetti!!! Stay away from Shimano Chains!! Go with Sachs you wont get any better!!!

Shitmano HG 92
(Garbage!!!!!!!!!)

[May 18, 1998]
coreywagner

it sucks don't buy it. Any one who buys it is a fool. my naighbor ryan might buy it but i think he is a fool for doing so. It ran bad on my murray and i hate it for that. The murray isbetter than the chain. go brooks and dunn

[May 13, 1998]
kender
cross-country rider

I have used Sachs chains for years and love them I have found them reliable and easier to deal with than Shimano. The new link does take a bit of concentration and effort to get off, but is worth the trouble. ( You need to squeeze the plates together quite hard while pulling the chain apart) The master link allows me to take my chain off for regular maintenence.
And now we come to the bad part. While servicing my chain I found that one of the outside plates had broken (away from the link) While replacing it I noticed that another link had also cracked. Both breaks were around the pins. Neither failed catastrophicly on the trail, but with only a month of use on the chain, I can't help but worry about its durability. Summery 4 for the masterlink 1 for the crappy sideplates. Ave: 2

[Jun 17, 2000]
Mark Munro

Strength:

Extreamly durable, cleanable, and EASY to use, not counting the recalled ones of course.

SRAMS stupid idea to mess with them and cause a recall before getting there act together.

I believe that most products last and work well if maintained and installed correctly. I have had excellent success with sachs/srams chains. I like the pc61 the best, had to settle for a pc51 this time though because I am poor right now. I recommend this chain to all riders who use their equipment correctly(clean, and damnit, shift enough, do not ride arround in one gear all the time, or in your BIG ring!!!).

Shimano of all types, sachs pc 51

[Jun 06, 2000]
Derek Hughes

Strength:

Power Link

Weak sideplates

I have had very inconsistent results with Sachs chains. I started with PC51s three years ago, and they were great! I switched to the PC61, and my first chain broke three times in 300 Km by cracking where the pin is pushed through the sideplate... I got no comment from Sram, but my dealer replaced the chain. I think others must be having the same problem...

Shimano IG50, PC51

[Dec 11, 1999]
Alex
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Strong
Cheap
Very easy to remove

? none i guess!

This is a very good chain, I can reccomend it wholeheartedly. It is fully compatible with 8 speed Shimano drivetrains. Of course the most important feature of any chain is how strong it is...at 170 lbs I have had no trouble it. Second feature of this particular chain, which not all chains (ie Shimano) have, is that you can remove it without a chain breaker tool. It has a special link that allows it to be removed by hand. At first it will seem impossible, but believe me, it is possible, you just have to learn the trick to it. After that it will be very easy and fast to remove. It makes trailside repairs much, much easier. And don't worry about this link allowing the chain to come apart while riding, its not going to happen.

Shimano IG90

[Nov 15, 1999]
Nick
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Easy to remove and clean and lube properly.

None.

Easy to clean. The wet muddy riding here trashes your lube job every ride. With the power link I get an easy solution, I just keep two chains and swap them back and forth. Cleaning was never this simple b4. Just some Simple Green in the sink and I'm spiffy clean and shifting like new. I have never broken one yet. Just watch you shifting.... No Big ring to Granny Combos!Ride On!

Shimano

[Oct 11, 1999]
Milan Hojdar
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Power chain link

weak and soft material

After reading some reviews from MTBR I bought PC61 chain. Now after 3 months I have realized Sachs chain shifts worse than Shimano. It is also much less durable. For the Shimano cassettes are Shimano chains better!

Shimano, KMC

[Sep 25, 1999]
rick chittick

Strength:

good solid shifting performance w/o wasting $30 on the pc91

the power link. don't use it on the install, simply carry it with you to make emergency chain repair simpler.also, good luck finding it for the $15 listed above. it's usually more like $25.

this is the best chain available for the serious rider. it's not mega-pricey like the pc91, and it will get the job done. for those of you in serious training, you should be replacing the chain nearly once a month, and this is the ticket.

shimano (what a pain in the ass)