Sachs PC-91 Chain

PC-91

PC-91

Ben   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2000]
Strength:

Powerlink makes cleaning easy.

Links are difficult to replace. Rollers cup and crack.

I like the master link, it makes cleaning easy. The rollers cup after a while and then crack. Change them often or get stranded. The links are difficult to splice. They are tougher than shimano though.

Similar Products Used: shimano and older sedis
Patrik Westerlund   Cross Country Rider [Aug 30, 2000]
Strength:

Take it off the bike without tools

Hard to repair IF your chain breaks (ain't happened to me yet..)

This chain makes maintenance a happy work. Just take it apart and clean it in a bucket thoroughly. Much better than chain cleaners hung on the frame. Great compatibility with my Shimano set-up too. Worked flawlessly last race, Finnmarksturen 112 km dirty trails. But don't break it, i've tried too add a link with existing pins but it got too stiff so I had to abort that experiment. Too bad they don't make it no more - SRAM wake up!

Similar Products Used: Sachs PC 61, Shimano HG 90, 91
brian   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2000]
Strength:

easy to put on, That's about it.

Weak, snapped after one year of use.

The shimano chain was replaced when it reached the wear point after 2-3 years. Bike shop didn't have another Shimano unit, so I got the Sachs unit. Regularly maintained it (It cost so damn much!) but it snapped after 1 years use. I'm definitely not gonna buy this unit again! Couldn't tell any difference in shifting quality between this and the Shimano type.

Similar Products Used: HG-91
SteveK   Racer [May 13, 2000]
Strength:

Easy to take off, haven't broke one yet, works with XTR sizing

cost, availability since they have been discontinued

Switched to these chains a few years ago and never had a problem. Powerlink feature is nice for removing for cleaning. I tried to save money with a new SRAM PC58 when I changed the drivetrain this year and couldn't get it to work, found a new PC91 and problems went away. Too bad they aren't made anymore.

Similar Products Used: What ever comes stock
brad   [Apr 03, 2000]
Strength:

light, high quality

somewhat pricey, but worth it

trick looking, excellent shifting and dependable chain. moved to this model (which is no longer being made) after a pretty new IG90 snapped on me at a race in durango. i replace my chains after 6-7 hundred miles to avoid drivetrain wear and my mechanic says they still measure out as "like new". removal/cleaning is a breeze.

unfortunately, sram has ditched this chain and is using a much cheaper quality "high end" chain for the '00 8 spd product line. i've been loading up on these for $29.

Similar Products Used: ig90
James   Cross Country Rider [Feb 16, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight. Reliable in poor conditions.

Expensive unless you shop around. Power link rarely comes apart as easily as it should!

I had continual issues with Shimano chains (IG90) failing (not snapping, just stretching, grinding and failing to shift correctly) very quickly after use in mud. Since using the PC91 for over a year on both bikes I've had no further issues and no complaints whatsoever - they shift well, are light, and are easy to fit. I am however quite light (about 150 pounds) so am not really the type of rider to break chains often! I also keep them clean and change them every 3 months. For heavier riders I'd recommend the PC61, the 91 is great for XC riders concerned about weight savings. The powerlink connectors do not usually come apart as easily as they should, after a while of fiddling and some choice words of abuse they usually come apart but you are never quite sure what finally worked!

If you shop around you can find them for sensible money in the UK - similar to IG90 prices - but check to see that you are getting a fresh powerlink connector each time and a full-length boxed chain not one off a bike in their shop!

Similar Products Used: Shimano IG90
Robert Heard   Racer [Jan 18, 2000]
Strength:

Durability

This chain has lasted me through a New Mexico race season, 24 hrs. of Moab, and an international race in Mexico. Being on a budget I havn't been able to replace chains like I would like to. It only broke once in a year of use and continued to serve well after the trailside repair. I'm going to try a cheaper chain (probably the PC-61) and see if the perfomance is any different. The cost of the 91 is just too much

Nate   Cross Country Rider [Nov 04, 2003]
Strength:

Durable, reliable, strong.

None, except for the additional $$.

The pc-91 is the best chain I have tried thus far and it is the only chain that has lasted to the point of needing replacement (due to wear) without breaking. I had tried 3 new xtr chains in the course of a year before switching to sachs after they all broke repeatedly. There did not seem to be any difference in the quality of shifting between the xtr and sachs that I could detect, only increased chain strength.

Nick Hoskings   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2002]
Strength:

Inexpensive & Reliable

????

This chain works, it works very well, in fact it works very very very well.

I like the little cutouts in each link plate, I don't think they save a lot of weight, but they look good. It also comes with the excellent split link which means you can remove it for cleaning and replacement without a chain tool. It lasts about a year or 2k miles of UK XC riding before it gets a bit stretched, then you bin it and get a new one.

For XC hacking I can't fault this product!

Miles   [May 22, 1998]

After using Sachs chains successfully for a few years, I was excited to try
their latest and greatest, the all new PC-91, which replaces the SC-M90.
This looked to be an improvement on their already excellent chains, with
its stronger riveting and no-tools-required-for-disassembley master link
(I was already using a Craig Superlink, which is pretty much identical to
what Sachs is using now). The chains (I was so confident in Sachs that I
got two of them to rotate) worked well for a bit over a month, but when I
was warming up before my last race, the chain snapped on me. I wasn't
shifting or putting undue stress on the chain (I was pedaling up a grassy
hill), it just broke apart at the end of one of the links (not the master
link). Luckily I was able to fix it before the race started, and miraculously
it didn't break during the race. I told the owner of my LBS about it, and
he said that Sachs had issued a recall of their first batch of these chains.
It turned out mine wasn't even from the first batch though, it was from
the second, which was supposed to be corrected. Regardless of whether
the problem has been or will be fixed, it should never have been allowed to
reach the consumer. Since I have no confidence in this chain at this time, so I can only give it two stars (because it worked fine until it broke). Now I'm gonna try to get my hands on some good old SC-M90 chains.