KMC Z9000 Chain

KMC Z9000 Chain

The super narrow 6.6 mm KMC 9-speed chains are compatible with all popular road and off-road 9-speed derailleur systems. All three models feature the extra strength and durability of KMC's exclusive Bull's-eye Pin Riveting and our StretchProof heat treatment and materials package. A special black assembly pin has been pressed into the end link for installation.

Model Z9000 Chain Specifications:

• Primary Features: StretchProof, Bull's-Eye Pin Riveting
  • 1/2" x 11/128" Super Narrow
  • Pin Length: 6.6 mm.
  • Pin Power: Min. 200 kgf.
  • Tensile Strength: 1050 kgf.
  • Finish: Dark Silver / Brown
  • Compatible Bikes: 9 pcs cassette sprocket
  • Weight: 305 g / 116 Link

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 01, 2015]
    John Morris

Strength:

Rust resistant

The chain broke two times in 1 1/2 months.

I bought the 14' Z9000 from Hostel Shop to use on a delta recumbent trike. I know how to work with and build my own bikes. I bought other chains from my LBS, online and even Wal-Mart and they lasted for a year or more. This chain is garbage! In less than 1 and 1/2 months, the chain broke two times. Even when using an front electric hub motor the chain breaks. The rivet keeps popping out of the outer plates. I bought a KMC chain last year can't remember the model and lasted for over a year and will buy again but will not buy the Z9000 again. Avoid the Z9000 like the plague especially if you have strong legs.

Shimano, Sram, a different KMC chain that lasted over a year, Wal-Mart K-Mart other big box chains

[Jun 23, 2014]
    John

Strength:

Just over 2 years and 1,000 miles now on my 2012 Motobecane 700 HT Mountain Bike & Z9000.
    Shifts great and smooth. No slips,breaks, or stretching.
    How many more miles can I add? Another 1,000 maybe?

NONE!

This chain has exceeded my expectations! BUT, I do keep it spotless and well lubed.
    (AND NO TRICKS) Straight rides only. which must be the difference between me and alot of the other reveiwers here.
    Only now I am ONLY thinking of whats better than this to replace for the money when its time?

[Nov 16, 2010]
    mwarner88

Strength:

Came new on my Fantom Pro 29er. No issue with this, or any other Fathom component.

None.

The KMC900 that came on my Fantom Pro 29er continues to run great. Starting to show signs of stretch now, after two year, otherwise no problem.

Similar Shimano & SRAM chains.

[Sep 26, 2010]
    RecceDG

Strength:

It is a chain.

Came stock on a 2010 Norco Faze. After 650 km of use (about 1 month) and during a race, snapped clean and took out the rear derailleur hanger.

Junk. I have an Ultegra chain on my road bike that has gone 5500 km and is still in great shape. This one failed catastrophically after one month of use and cost me a race. Avoid!

SRAM X-9, SRAM X-0, Shinamo Ultegra

[Aug 28, 2010]
    Ben H

Strength:

Quick Link for easy removal.

Short Life

This chain came on my bike. I've got 350 clean miles on the chain and it's worn 1/32" already. I get much better wear from Shimano chains.

[Jun 23, 2010]
    trunter

Strength:

None - the box is probably the most useful thing with this chain.

Everything

This chain is rubbish! I would not waste your time or money on it. I've had 3 rides with it and have spent more time fixing broken and stiff links then I did on the trails.

Shimano

[Apr 16, 2009]
    cairocks

Strength:

Not bling
    Relatively cheap

Not Bling
    Seems to have stretch relatively quickly.

Is it really that bad? Change out my Shimano 0N-HG40 at 2500kms and now my speedo registered 4300km where I find the chain is to be replaced again. I am about 100kg, but does 50-60km rides 2-3 times a week on the road, with occasional off roads. Though this KMC Z9000 chain seems to have stretched out relatively quickly, but at least it did not break even after 1800km of usage. Shifting is smoother than the stock Shimano chain that comes with my bike.

Shimano ON-HG40

[Nov 07, 2008]
    gvns8

Many

Chain is a piece of junk. It came on my Motobecane Fantom and broke on my second ride simply going up a hill. I replaced the link and the chain broke again two rides later. This second time however, the chain managed to wrap around the rear derailleur and broke the derailleur and bent the derailleur hanger. Do yourself and buy new chain if this come with a new bike. Its a lot cheaper to replace a chain than a derailleur.

Now using SCRAM PC-991

[Jun 24, 2008]
    krad_two

Strength:

None. Lack of strength is the issue.

The chain.

This chain broke within the first hour of use. It has a reputation of being junk. Responsible retailers shouldn't sell this chain.

n/a

[May 17, 2008]
    Tomasz

Strength:

it took it only 200 miles to stretch 1/16". Granted I'm not the lightest rider, but I'm not a racer and I try not to switch under load. Also almost killed my chainrings (Truvativ Firex). Only after I switched to Shimano I saw how quiet, easy shifting chain can be.

Even if it came with new bike - do yourself a favor and upgrade. It will be one of the most cost effective upgrades you will ever do.

Shimano LX