KMC X9 Chain

X9

Strong, reliable and affordable. What more could you ask for? 9 speed compatible Mushroomed pin riveting Double "X" bridge shape outer plate Noise reducing Bushingless construction Approximate weight: 229 grams

Darin Barker   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2012]
Strength:

Light.

After only two rides a piece broke of one link . Half of the side plate between the two pins. Just gone.? Had a buddy try and replace the broken link with the spares I had. About an hour ago the chain broke. Lucky I was only about 100 yards away from the parking lot.

Light chains, Not for mountain biking. definitly buy something stronger. XTR , Sram, Ect. I Have already ordered a new Shimano chain.

Similar Products Used: Shimano,
cusewordsmith   Weekend Warrior [Jan 15, 2012]

sucks

This chain broke on only its third ride -- probably less than 30 miles, all-in. It broke on pretty level terrain without any extreme chain angles.

I've been riding and racing bikes for 30 years, and i've never seen such a pathetic chain. Total crap.

Stay far away from KMC.

Similar Products Used: SRAM, Shimano
coop355   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2011]
Strength:

Cheap, available in colors

none encountered

Have used for the second have of the season, about 600 miles. Havent had any issues. The powerlink is a little more difficult to remove than SRAM, but not really a big deal. Got for a great price on ebay ($12 w/ shipping). Would not hesitate to use.buy again. Will be replacing with Sram 991 cross step in the spring.

Similar Products Used: Sram
suprteck   Cross Country Rider [Nov 24, 2011]
Strength:

Weight, looks

Chain broke on me today, It was really muddy but still. I only weigh 130lbs

Worked well for the longest time in normal conditions, but once I took it on a crazy muddy ride it gave out on me. Not sure if I would get this again. Was not fun walking my bike out in the mud.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Xtr, Wippermann connex
marting   Weekend Warrior [Jul 16, 2011]
Strength:

Broke with in 20 miles of flat riding.

Waste of time and money.

meltingfeather   Racer [May 13, 2011]
Strength:

weight, great shifting, durability, quietness

i consistently get great durability and performance out of KMC. X9SL has the added benefit of low weight without any compromises.

Similar Products Used: many 9-speed offerings from SRAM and Shimano
00Stephen   Cross Country Rider [Feb 07, 2011]
Strength:

Unknown

Weakness.

I got this bike and chain less than two weeks ago and commuted a few times before finally getting a chance to take it out XC this past weekend. The chain broke yesterday while I was cruising up hill. I was not standing nor cranking hard. I was in the rightmost (big ring) up front and No 4 (counting up from right to left) in back, so I was only a little crossed.

Weight matters but, when it comes to the drive train, strength matters more.

Similar Products Used: A variety of Sram chains
Zachariah   Cross Country Rider [Jan 19, 2011]
Strength:

Lightweight
Quick Link
Looks good

Collects mud like no other

It looks the business, shifts great and can go many, many miles...that is, until you reach mud and moisture. Then, it's CHAINSUCK CITY!!

The small holes and link plate cutouts collect and pack mud so bad, every attempted crank rotation will be met with chainstay-shredding, crank-locking chainsuck. If you like steep, granny gear climbing...you'll have to resort to hike-a-bike! My drivetrain is 100% new and this chain simply does not run well in sloppy, mud conditions. I'm a hopeless weight weenie - but I regret saving 55g in this sensitive area.

Verdict? ROAD BIKE ONLY!!!!

Similar Products Used: SRAM PC-991 Hollowpin
Shimano XTR CN-7701
anderle73   Cross Country Rider [Aug 05, 2010]
Strength:

Good weight to strength ratio, shifting preformance, resistance to stretch.

pricy

Have used this chain on my old Epic without problems and now on Stumpjumer. Feels like the last component that's going to fail. Easy maintenance, smoot hrunning, shifting. My last version of the X9SL came in gold which apart from reliability adds to looks.