Interloc IRD Chain

• 8-speed and 9 speed Chains
  • Patented smooov shifting plate
  • technology. Snap LInk installs w/o tools (you still need a tool to shorten it)
  • Pro, Elite, and Sport grades to suit performance needs
  • No logo that begins with an "S" anywhere
  • Pin power up to 200kgf
  • SRP: $13.99 - 36.99
  • Weight: 303g - 338g

• User Reviews (16)

David   [Feb 06, 2013]
    Strength:

Shifts better than any other chain I have ever had. I can make multi-gear changes and the chain settles down onto the cogs faster than any other I've had. I agree with the other poster who said it seems to stay clean longer than some. I have had the IRD-991: 9-speed Pro Hollow Pin, the solid pin version they made before that and the IRD-1010 Pro. The 9 speed chains are on SRAM drive trains and the 10 speed chain is on a Shimano road drive train.All have been great chains. I even reused the solid pin 9 speed by adding the original links I took off on a bike with bigger front gears, it still worked perfect and never broke.

Uhm...they don't come in the cool metal tin anymore? It makes good storage for extra links and snap links. :)

I have recommended the IRD chains to any one I know who has had shifting issues or just wanted a nice shifting chain. They are so much smoother shifting than the SRAM chains I used!

beandeanscene   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2009]
    Strength:

This chain is solid. I purchased a IRD 790 Elite chain while touring the West Coast. I purchased it in Canon Beach and installed it there. The chain shifts smoothly, stays clean and runs well.

I think that chain users that did not install this chain correctly probably snapped it. I have ridden up the steepest hills in California including San Francisco with this chain and have had no complaints. I have put 1000 miles and is still not stretched.

This chain is solid gold

Similar Products Used: I have used Campagnolo, Shimano, and Sram chains. Probably the best for a Shimano set-up.
    Dan   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2003]
    Strength:

This is a review for the Black Lighting Chain. Absolutely None, with the exception the tin to carry small parts around.

This product is GARBAGE, it skipped all day and did not matter what gear you were in. The chain did not come with a master link either and had to pin together. I emailed IRD and never got a response back from them. Why am I not surprised. I put my PC-99 chain on and not a problem what so ever, and put this piece on and it would skip along like a school girl.

Do not buy this chain, it is garbage. If IRD is reading this I hope you can fix the problem, even though I will never buy your product again(Not even the beautiful Scandium road bike).Go waste your money on a nice dinner and avoid the headache.

Similar Products Used: SRAM PC-49,59,89R and 99
    Nick   Cross Country Rider [Feb 13, 2004]

Teflon coating, rollers

Like others have said the teflon is a joke. But my beef is how quick the chain itself wore down. I'm not an everyday hardcore rider so it was even more disgusting to me considering the price paid. I replaced it with a PC-99 SRAM. They cost about the same and there is no comparison. The SRAM chain is the best I've ever tried. Never going back to IRD.

Similar Products Used: shimano and SRAM
    Ben   Cross Country Rider [Jan 28, 2002]
    Strength:

Price, non shimano, company

Great price. When I bought them the company was great for support and getting back to me on other questions I had about some of their products, but lately I can't find their web site. I've gone through 2 annd am working on the third. I bought the elite series.

Similar Products Used: shimano, sram, taya
    Brandon   Cross Country Rider [May 08, 2006]
    Strength:

NONE

This chain company is worthless!! Chains do not hold up. I owned a IRD-790 and it lasted 2 months before a solid link snapped

Dont Buy from this Company. They are going to be a waste of your time expecially if you break down in the middle of nowhere.

Similar Products Used: SRAM-951
    Jim   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2006]
    Strength:

Flawless, good shifting, never any issues

Cambria told me this was the only chain they ever sold that they never had to warantee. Not a single chain. They also said the IRD's chain warentee is lifetime on anything but streching. Never needed to test that claim.

Similar Products Used: Sram, Shimano
    Brad W   Cross Country Rider [Sep 29, 2003]
    Strength:

Teflon=Smooth

IRD CHAIN=PIECE OF CRAP THAT SNAPPED TWICE ON ME IN 2 WEEKS.

So when the guy at Jenson USA (Not blaming Jenson, they kick a$$) told me he could substitute the IRD cassette for the XT they were out of at the same price it seemed like a logical move to get a teflon chain. I hate logic, I failed it in college and should never use this tool for my decision making process again. I snapped the chain on a gradual incline the first time and though "Well this can happen, maybe I was in the wrong gear". But when I snapped it the second time on a paved bike path I thought "Wow that really hurts when you snap a chain and bach your knee into your headset", then I thought "Glad it wasn't my balls" But seriously this chain is a piece of junk and if they would have had this review on the website before I bought it well I might have my diginity back, because at the moment it snapped the second time I was passing this hottie running and when you snap a chain it really makes you look like an idiot.

Similar Products Used: The big S company.
    Interloc   [Oct 22, 2003]

Official reply from IRD: For those few of you who have had bad experiences with our chain, we apologize.
    We want to let the public know we back our product's design and workmanship fully. If our chain breaks, we will send you a new one. So please contact us. Most companies won't warranty a broken chain. In our efforts to continually improve our product, we have also developed new improved 9 and 10-speed connector links that work better on the 11t cog. And we have introduced a strong hollow pin 9-speed chain. E-mail your comments to interlocracing@aol.com

Beats Daily   Weekend Warrior [Oct 15, 2002]
    Strength:

this is the best chain on the markwt for beating your kids with. It'll leave a welt on them youngin so big that it'll make a whip look like a feather. I have tried other types of corporal punishment on my youngin, and so far this chain works the best.

you have to grease it up a lottle ot make it leave a good mark.

by far the best beatin tool on the market. If your into slave labor from your kids, this is the way to go. 2pac4ever.

Similar Products Used: dominatrix whip (single, dual and triple tipped), cane, rifle.