Truvativ Shiftguide Chain Accessories

Sometimes your riding calls for the security of a dedicated single-ring and chain guide on the way down, but you still need the climbing power of a granny to get you back up to the top of the run. If your budget can't handle a HammerSchmidt, a two-ring crankset and a Truvativ ShiftGuide Team might just do the trick.The Truvativ ShiftGuide Team incorporates all of the features of a good single-ring guide: a versatile, lightweight and adjustable chromoly boomerang that easily mounts behind the driveside bottom bracket cup, a micro-adjustable upper composite guide box, and a quiet-running lower roller complete with a sealed cartridge bearing at its center. When mated with a 22/32T or 24/36T two-ring crankset, an outer guard, and a standard triple front derailleur, the combination yields a healthy dose of security and the reassurance of knowing you'll never drop a chain - to either side - ever again. 290g.

hummer2   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2008]
Strength:

Does its job. Pretty quiet

horrible noise when u push down on middle ring (peadiling up hill etc...)

It works but makes all kinds on chain noises and feels funny when you pedal a little harder

Similar Products Used: none
blah wtf?   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2008]
Strength:

light, low cost, works.

is not as strong as most other guides, doesn't work for iscg mounts

this product is low cost and it does what it is supposed to do, it is called "AM" and that is a good description. It does not hold up to freeride conditions. but if you are lookin to keep your chain on and dont mind losing your top ring, its a good product.

Similar Products Used: various others.
Bullitxl   Downhiller [Mar 19, 2008]
Strength:

Light, keeps the chain on, no drag, you don't know it's there until you realize that you haven't dropped your chain. Top of back plat has solid block directly after front derailleur cage that keeps the chain on the top of the chain ring. Set and forget, easy to install. Cheap. I honestly can say I don't think I've dropped a chain in 2 seasons.Can run a 36T ring.

Cheap, 1 piece stamped back plate is flimsy. I often find the roller twisted slightly due to the back plate bending right at the roller, doesn't bend enough to be too detrimental to performance and can be straightend easily but it shouldn't bend at all and you shouldn't have to straighten it.

I've got 2 seasons out of it and other than looking cheap, it did what it was supposed to but I think it is better suited to all mountain than freeride or DH. The bearings in the roller are shot now which is the only reason I'm going to change it out. I'm going to replace it with a Black Spire Dewlie which has a much burlier back plate which is ideal of DH/Freeride, has had excellent reviews, and doesn't look so cheap.

I'm rating it a 4 only because I never lost a chain but there are better systems out there durability wise.

Similar Products Used: I've used both the E13 DRS and the MRP LRP. The back plate hole on the E13 I had didn't fit on my BB shell for some reason, so I took it back. The LRP didn't have an upper guide block after the derailleur and was only good for a 32T ring. Both the MRP and the E13 lacked the upper block to guide the chain onto the chainring after the front derailleur cage which I think is their weakness.

I also have an E13 SRS which didn't allow me to pedal up hill.