Third Eye Chain Watcher Chain Accessories

Third Eye Chain Watcher Chain Accessories

The Third Eye Chain Watcher is probably the least expensive way to prevent your chain from accidentally dropping your chain off of your chainrings onto your frame. Essentially once mounted, the small resin bulge sits close enough to the chain so that if t

[Sep 19, 2011]
chamucos

Strength:

Cost

Everything Else

Bike shop used this on my original 1x9 29'er build. Switched to the N-Gear Jump Stop after dropping the chain multiple times with the 3rd eye. Bought a new frame this year and the Jump Stop I had was not compatible becasue of a smaller diameter seat tube so I threw on the 3rd eye. Dropped the chain twice in 2 weeks. It's a piece of junk. The plastic fang just bends or grinds down and lets the chain slip by. Also, attaches using a hose clamp that contacts the seat tube directly and could damage the paint. I learned my lesson - the N-Gear is the way to go - period. This time, I'll throw the 3rd Eye away.

I trashed my chain and nearly ruined the cassette and broke some spokes. Don't make that mistake. That's my reason for the low value rating - even though it's cheap, using it could result in damage to expensive components. Get the N-Gear Jump Stop for basically the same price.

N-Gear Jump Stop

[May 23, 2009]
ghostrider75

It is good for the roadi's. Spend the extra cash and buy a chain gaurd. My six yearold bought it for me.

[Dec 19, 2006]
Bob

Strength:

It works well for the two bike/trike I have it on. One is old Trek 850 that is over 10 years old. The trike is a Whizwheelz recumbent trike -- have used the chain watcher for over 6 months now.

None for the Trek 850 -- easy to install. For the trike, it was a very tight fit due to the angle of front derailler post.

Inexpensive and effective. For a well-tuned setup it is probably not needed. I found no need for it on the old Trek Y-22 that I have ridden for years.

None -- don't know of any.

[May 20, 2000]
Nader

Strength:

Light
Simple
Effective

None yet

This little piece of plastic has completely eliminated chain-droppage for me. 5 chilis for keeping me in the saddle.

[May 03, 2000]
brian t

Strength:

It did keep the chain fron dropping once ( I think).
cheep $7.
light.

it broke on second ride

This thing is junk.
It broke on he second ride.
It may keep the chain from dropping, but so does a properly adjusted derailer.
It is so thin and flexy the chain will push past it and then there is no way to get the chain back out because it is shaped like a barbed hook (easy to get in, hard to get out)

none, I found that with the proper drive line adjustments stuff like this isn't needed

[Mar 21, 2000]
Cel Alvarez

Strength:

Broke the first time I used it. Shop owner insisted it would work.

It might have worked if it was made of metal. Do they make a metal one?

[Oct 11, 1999]
joe
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

This works well for what you pay for...
Keeps the chain from falling off the granny on the downshift. Prevents chainsuck from getting into an irreversible jam.

Clamp IS sharp edged.
Adjustment screw is in a VERY awkward place for large tubed bikes (my CAAD3). I had to modify the clamp and plastic piece to fit properly.

Do they still sell these?
Is there something a bit more sano?
Wish someone made one with a better clamp - like frnt derailleurs have...maybe I will mod my old FD...
I had to melt a hole in the back of the clamp cover and cut it down on the front strap so that it would slide down far enough on my C-dale.
Does what it is supposed to do- I would not ride/race without it...
I would give it 3.5 but since there is no half rating...

None. Are there any similar or better?

[Jul 28, 1999]
Scott
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Cheap

Doesn't fit my frane/derailler setup

Well, it may have worked but I don't have enough clearance between my derailler and bottom bracket shell. Need about 3 to 2 mm more. Too much material, may try to cut off some to make it fit the junction between the downtube and shell. Who knows if it will work? Gave it 3 stars for the possibility of working, the clamp is very sharp and will mar your frame if you aren't careful. BE WARNED!

[May 02, 2005]
Jeremiah

Strength:

Cheap

None so far.

I admit it is not the best built product, but for the price it is worth it. For XC riding you will not be needing this if you have a properly adjusted front derailleur, straight chain rings, and a good oiled chain. Since I have a magnesium frame I have to take certain safeguards and this is one of them. Magnesium frames are light, smooth, and just awesome, but they are highy corrosive.

Buy this as a safegaurd not as a solution to your chain falling off. Also, this will not prevent chain suck. If you are a DH rider get a more expensive system.

I will keep you updated.

None.

[Aug 14, 2003]
yohon mcfly

Strength:

CHEAP

EVERYTHING ELSE!

THIS THING SUCKS! the previous reviews are correct, if it was made of something stronger it would be better. the plastic just bends and the chain pushes right past it!!!! it works "ok" if you're just doing wimpy riding but as soon as you land or go through really rough stuff it's all over. SAVE YOUR MONEY... i wish i could afford a REAL chainguide...does that anti-suck thing work i wonder?

NONE, I NEED TO FIND SOMETHING!!!!!!!