TekTro Anti-Chain Suck Plate Chain Accessories

Anti-Chain Suck Plate

Tektro Anti-Chain Suck Plate

pimpbot   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2003]
Strength:

cheap

Doesn't work. Gets knocked out of line easily, make chainsuck worse, crappy one bolt mounting, doesn't actually fix the core issue.

I had an issue with chainsuck in poor weather. I popped this POS on thinking it would keep the chain from damaging my frame. When the chain sucks it just knocks the plate out of line and jams the chain in between. THe only way to free the chain is to kick the rear pedal down, which damages the chain and possbily the chainrings.

I mounted this with the one bolt it came with, cranked the holy heck out of it trying to keep it from slipping, but that didn't work. I drilled out a new bolt hole (for the one bolt it came with, how lame is that?) closer to the crank side, trying to change the leverage angle, but that didn't fix it either. I took it off, and while still chainsucking, my bike doesn't get disabled and come to a dead stop when it happens.

My advice to anybody concidering this thing, fix the core issues causing your chainsuck instead of trying to mask the issue.

Nelson Ho   cross-country rider [Jun 09, 1996]

This is very similar (nearly identical) to the Ringle Anti-Chain Suck Thing, except this is MUCH cheaper...$12. It uses a top and bottom plate which your chainstay (near the BB area) is sandwiched in between. The bottom plate has little steps in it to match your chainrings. It comes with a 10mm hex bolt so adjustment on trailside is easy (same size as brakepad hex nut). It also comes with some rubber cushions to keep the plates from moving and to also protect the frame. The plates are CNC'd aluminum and come in a variety of anodized colors. They also have holes drilled in them to reduce weight. While the idea of this device is cleaver, however, it doesn't work very well. Same as with the Ringle unit, this thing will prevent chainsuck maybe once or twice before the the chain forces its way in and pushes the plate away. They need to design specific plates for specific chainring combinations so a perfect fit can be achieved. That would make it unlikely for the chain to squeeze its way in between the plate and the frame.

Ian Simoneau   downhiller [Jan 21, 1997]

Dear mtbMy opinion on the tektro chain suck is a little bit hard to describe(but here it go's). Being an avid downhiller a chain suck is a very important part on my San Andreas Mountain Cycle. I have tried lost of chain sucks like:-mister crud
-Lambert tech.
-KORE
I have even tried bulting one my self(It only lasted 7 races than i had to replace it. All the chain sucks i have tried 95 have all been a disaster, but not the tektro(it's been in 12 races and it's still going hard) Ian Simoneau

PhD   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2000]
Strength:

It works if installed properly.
Inexpensive.

Had to grind to fit.
Really have to tighten.
Don't think you can use it on a bottom-pull derailleur.
Bolt rusts.

The best $5 I've spent on my bike. I purchased both the regular and light-weight versions but have used only the regular to date. The light-weight version doesn't look rugged enough -- but the weight difference is minimal -- and the standard version works. I had to grind both the bottom and top plates to get it close enough to the chain rings on my 9 speed. You really have to tighten this thing down. It moved on me once when initially installed, but after tightening again, it has never moved. I also think the key is to STOP pedaling immediatley as soon as you feel the chain catch. Back off and chain suck is gone. This has saved my titanium frame on numerous occasions -- at least once or twice per ride in messy conditions. The only scratches I have are from before I installed it. And for $5-$10, it is worth a try to see if it works on your bike.

Similar Products Used: Is there anything else?
Geoff   racer [Jan 26, 1999]

more suck than anti......just buy a lizzard skin chainstay guard.....
now i must make the 30 word quota so this review will be posted as a matter of fact, all tecktro products suck.....

Crash   cross-country rider [Jan 18, 1999]

THis gizmo really does suck. My experience included the chain catching up in the plate as well as the plate sliding back and blocking the rear tire. I actually had more complications with chain suck after installing this ugly piece of garbage! Safe yourself the time, $ and hassles. Just check your shifter cables adjustment every so often. Hmm... no zero flaming Mr. hankys, so...

NA   racer [Aug 26, 1998]

This is a peice of crap, don't waste your money if you have ovalised chainstays. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Felipão   weekend warrior [Jun 01, 1998]

This plate sucks!!!!Shitty plate,never worked!!!!Now I'm going to POLISH my chainstay because there is NO paint on it,just scratches!!!!Some people say it happens because I'm using 22-34-46 chainrings,but it really sucks!!!!I hate it and it also doesn't offers clearance for the front derailleur cable.Save your money!More five words just to post my review!!!

Tony   cross-country rider [Apr 18, 1998]

The Tektro Anti-Chain Suck Plate works fine. If installed properly it will not move about and it cause no problems when removing my wheel. It is a great piece of equipment and there is no reason to buy the over priced Ringle. My frame has suffered only the damage incurred before I owned the tektro piece.

Forchelet Daniel   cross-country rider [May 16, 1997]

I had some chain suck problem when I got my new XC MTB last March. What a pain to scratch the paint !!! I tried out the Tektro thing... well, it's worse with it: it doesn't prevent chain suck at all and there is no way to prevent the thing from moving around. I get rid of it after it moved towards the rear tire and blocked the rear wheel. I didn't crash and was happy that the bloody thing didn't hurt any bike's part (ie chainwheels).Now, I maintain very carefully the chain and the front derailleur settings and try not to change rear and front gears in a savage and uncoordinated manner (especially under race stress). Chain suck now very seldom occurs.My conclusion: The Tektro anti chain suck plates thing is not only useless, it's also dangereous for you and your bike !!! Avoid even looking at it in the shop ... it's wasted time.PS: I have got other Tektro products, like multiusage tools, brake levers on my son's bike ... they are great and tagged at an acceptable price.Daniel Fofo Forchelet.