Montara Design 3Guide Chain Accessories

• 50 GRAM ALUMINUM MODEL COMING SOON
  • PROVEN IN DOWNHILL AND CROSS COUNTRY RACING AND RIDING

• User Reviews (30)

Aaron   Weekend Warrior [Jun 06, 2003]
    Strength:

Never dropped a chain once. Easy setup, thanks to the thin stainless doesn't effect chainline much. Its versatile and will work with any bashguard. Noise is not bad, what do expect on a DH basher bike. Stays in place fine. Durable in "the rough".

If you back pedal too far it drops the chain into the next gear down. Maybe the wheel tapers too much.

It still works better than anything out there. You can use it with whatever bash guard you already have on your bike. Simple, strong and cheaper than MRP. My only complaint was the back pedalin' gear change.

Similar Products Used: Old MRP Cross country, it bent too many times, it was too long and it dropped the chain all the time.
    Simon Vowles   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2007]
    Strength:

Simple to install. Simple construction. Fit and forget.

Ummmmm. None really, though you have to be careful when tackling large logs or other trail obstructions as you could bend it if come down hard on the bottom bracket / large chainring, but I guess this is the same for all chain devices.

Running 3 rings at the front, the Heim 3 was the only chain guide I could find. I ride aggressive XC and suffered continual chain drop and slap which was scratching the chain stays and seat stays to bits.

Prior to a trip to Morzine inthe Alps, I ordered one of the devices based on MTBR reviews and have been delighted with it. It really is a fit and forget item and, to date, I haven't lost a chain and have even taken the neoprene paint protector off the seat stay as it isn't needed anymore.

Highy recommended.

Similar Products Used: None. This is the only 3 ring chain guide I could find. Had to have it shipped in from the US as unavailable in the UK.
    Randy   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2007]
    Strength:

Easy to install, eliminates chain slap, chain dropping of any of the chain rings, chain suck

nothing

If your chain falls off the chain ring going through rough trails, or you hear the nasty chain slap this will solve the problem. Added benefit is elimination of the nasty chain suck that comes from the Shimano chain rings.
    This product rocks!!!

Similar Products Used: First chain guide used other than on a single speed
    Grant   Downhiller [Aug 26, 2007]
    Strength:

Light, doesnt make annoying noises like other guides, looks really good

None that I have found. I've greased the spindle once when I got it.

This is a great product of for the aggressive XC rider all the way to FR and DH'ers that still want the ability to pedal and bomb downhill. I've only droped ONE chain in the 6 months that I have had it. Its really great. Once its set up correctly there is no turning back. Performance is constant I run mine alittle differently than in the picture above. http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/132132/?action=view¤t=HEIM.jpg

I run it flush with the bash so the chain isnt the only force pulling the guide along. Less wear. Longer lasting.

Great product. Its worth the extra 20 bucks more than a MRP etc.

Similar Products Used: MRP, Gamut, E13drs
    Doug   Downhiller [Jan 12, 2004]
    Strength:

Simple, functional, lite, 3 ring capability

Not a weakness, but rather a note that you need to have or buy a flanged BB cup for installation...they're about $20.

Took my first ride on it this morning...works so well I can't beleive I haven't had this for ever. Also put the Heim bash ring on, which integrates well with the Guide and still allows use of 3 rings. The reason I'm writing is because Jon Heim personally saw to it that the set up got working well, when both Rocky Mountain, Race Face, and my local shop all gave me incorrect info: saying it wouldn't work. Jon spent time on his Sunday, along with Matt at Gearhead Bikes in Pacifica, backing up what they already knew...that it would work..without any trouble...and work well. Thanks, guys. No more dropped chains.

Similar Products Used: None
    Travis Richards   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2004]
    Strength:

Simple Efective Design, Light, East to set up. Does what its suppose to. Made in the USA..

None that concerns me..But it might be too noisy for others. Its a chain running on hard plastic sound. Sounds like a sherman tank to me, (i like that sound).

Well I wish I could have had this sooner. No more dropping the chain off the rings. Chain slap is a thing of the past. Other than the sound of it working I don't notice it being there. No more chain suck for me..Looks as good as it works. If you're an aggresive xc/trail rider and need to have all three rings this is the BOMB! Hey if you happend to be a POSER this trick little wheel behind your shiney crankset will make you look cool:). In any case this is a must have performance item.

Similar Products Used: Nothing like this..
    Joe   Cross Country Rider [Feb 13, 2003]
    Strength:

Easy set up and it works as advertised exept a noisy roller.

The roller is noisy. Feels like hard plastic and sounds like a chain rolling over hard plastic. I was thinking polyurethane was quiet like my LRP. I was wrong. Over priced... All chain guides are!

It works well right now. It is noisy though. The kind of noise that would make some one turn around to see what the heck is wrong with your ride! If they used same material as on my LRP roller it would be perfectly quiet. Well you'll know where I am if You ride with me lol. You can back peddle and shift through all your gears. Chain hasn't dropped. I think I'll probably get rid of the third ring though and get an E-13/Evil security guide. I really haven't used the big ring where I ride. Guess I wanted it for special occasions. I would give this a fiver but for the noise it makes. Just change roller material Montara Design/Heims!

Similar Products Used: MRP/LRP
    Grant   Downhiller [Apr 29, 2007]
    Strength:

Light, does the job well with minimal rolling noise.

None so far!

Totaly sick! 5 min install. Mount it so it is in contact with ur bash. (I have e13) so the roller rolls with the bash. Less wear and tear on the roller and bearings.

After mounting this lil guide, havnt lost a chain since! Makes hardly any noise! I dont have a problem with losing a chian when backpedaling. But a few guys who ride Santa Cruz bikes have problems with it losing chians.

Bottom line this guide rocks! Super Light, looks snazzy does the job well!