Crud Cog Hog Chain Accessories

Cog Hog

Crud Cog Hog

Thibault   [Mar 10, 1998]

The Cog Hog is simply the best part you can buy to improve your shifting. You can have the best derailleur on the market, the best shifters (RapidFire or GripShift), the quality of your shifting will depend on what you have between the shifters and the derailleurs. Because when you have dirt on your cables, especially for top mounted cable guides bikes, on the seatstay, even if the spring of your derailleur is strong, it would't shift down, and even if you push (or rotate) like a mad on your shifters, it would have difficulties to shift up. So, the best solution I have experienced was to have cables with Teflon (Clarks cables) and a cog hog. This little thing helps to have your cable straight, so without friction, and there are also no frictions when it rolls over the pulley, and your shifting become smooooooth! It's a fact that I have heard that it's not strong, but for the moment, the only thing that broke was the barrel adjuster screw, nothing serious.

Tom Arbogast   racer [Jan 10, 1997]

I wanted to improve rear shifts with my GripShift SRT-600s, so based on a review in MBA I purchased the Cog Hog from Crud Products. The Cog Hog is said to reduce cable friction at the rear derailluer by eliminating the sharp cable angle that is made when the cable attaches to the rear derailluer. It does this by running the cable through a pulley. The pulley reduces friction and lets the cable run perpendicular to the derailluer. MTA said it worked great. Well, it did seam to improve shifting for the first 5 miles I rode. Then it split in half where the pin for the pulley intersects the aluminum housing. I had I nice 5 mile ride back to my car without the nuisance of shifting. Fortunately, the company I bought it from is giving me a complete refund.

Scanner   weekend warrior [Oct 01, 1996]

I used this product for about 3 weeks. It does improve shifting by helping to eliminate extra cable housing to the rear derailleur. I ride a lot and needless to say, crash a lot! The Cog Hog doesn't respond well to crashes... it will bend your barrel adjuster screw and overall, screw things up. The Cog Hog IS cheaper than the AVID Rollamajig, but unlike the AVID product, it DOES NOT give when you accidently slam your rear derailleur. The AVID is a much better designed product.. will LAST and does EXACTLY the same thing. I took it off after replacing two barrel adjuster screws. Good idea.. poor design.

The Biz   weekend warrior [Aug 27, 1996]

The Cog Hog smooth shift system is simplicity itself. It's a little device (8 grams) that sits on the barrel-adjuster of the rear deraileur. It's porpose is to reduce frction on the cable as it loops from the chainstay/seatstay to the deraileur. It does this by replacing that loop of cable routing with a 90° angle. It's simple & it works. Someone should of thought of it long ago.

Russ Tebay   cross-country rider [Aug 27, 1996]

The frame I have at the moment has top mounted cable guides in an attempt to keep the cable out of the crap under the bottom bracket. Unfortunately though this means that the water and mud runs down the back of the seat stay section of cable and bungs up the rear mech. The kink at the bottom of the cable (where the cable goes into the the mech) also holds this mud and can make shifting (even with XT stuff) low on feel and perfromance. Until, that is, you get a cog hog. This transforms the shifting from that of a mud plugger to that seen in road bikes. Very plush action and I haven't missed a change yet since fitting it. It didn't work with such dramatic effect on a bike with cable routing under the bottom bracket though and was not cheap (for what it is). But if you have top mounted cable guides and have problems with your rear changes get one of these little widgets to sort it out.

Maph Aherne   weekend warrior [Aug 20, 1996]

The Cog Hog is a lot cheeper than the Avid version (I havn't used one) but seems to do the job. Shifting is improved a fair bit, but I think that gortex cables do the job a lot better. I've got both gortex cables and the cog hog and my shifting is a hell of a lot better. I'd recommend getting it and spending the little bit of extra money on getting gortex cables.