Carmichael Alloy Pulleys Chain Accessories

Carmichael Alloy Pulleys Chain Accessories

Carmichael Alloy Pulleys

[Jun 30, 2003]
Mark

Strength:

Don't appear to be toxic

Design, quality, instructions, support

I wish I had come across this forum before I bought these things. Even though they are marketed as Shimano replacments there is definetly none of the float that, depending on your view, is either required or desirable for the upper pulley to work correctly. When I discovered how little float the design seemed to offer I contacted the manufacturer via the support email listed on the package to see if there was a fix or if I was missing something. Having heard nothing in a week, I even thought about jerry rigging them for more float. Then I discovered that the bearings on one of the pulleys was binding and this was right out of the package.

I'm returning them. This forum has convinced me that as counter-intuitive as it may seem, the stock pulleys seem to be the way to go.

Control Tech

[Jul 27, 2007]
Mark

Strength:

They look good, and they worked well during their somewhat short life on my GT.

They wore out.

I replaced these pulleys during a bike overhaul to add a little extra bling to the bike. I noticed that they worked a little bit better than the stock pulleys when I shifted, which was a pleasant surprise. 1500 muddy miles later, the plastic around the middle sleeve bearing was pert-near disintegrated, and I replaced them with my original pulleys once again. I would think they would have lasted longer...

Stock XT plastic pulleys.

[Oct 27, 2003]
Scott

Strength:

Looks sharp and is smooth; alloy not plastic

Haven't found any yet.

First off yeah I am a roadie not a ATB guy. I bought the Carmichaels to replace the stock sealed jobs in a Dura Ace deraill. I did it partially for looks (haven't seen any plastic ones in anodized blue) and because I have seen the plastic ones get chewed up. I have had mine for at least a year (closer to 2 I think),logged around 3 thousand miles on them no problems at all. I haven't had any shift problems with the Carmichaels and they seem better than the stock ones by far. As far as loctite on the screws when you replace them, never got around to it and never had problems. I guess it depends on the person doing it and the amount of abuse you dish out (potholes, railroad tracks and bad roads in general - no probs here). Shimano uses blue loctite when they build the deraills, so I could see where it would be re-applied. Before anyone says 'roadie, figures' I have a couple of die-hard ATB guys using them and have yet to hear any complaints from them. If they had problems, I would be the first to catch flack because I (1) suggested them (2) work at a bike shop & sold them the pulleys in the first place. The pulleys are a must for anybody wanting a decent upgrade (especially if your stock pulleys aren't sealed) and doesn't want to shell out the bucks for a high end deraill or somebody just wanting to accent the bike beyond the QR skewers.

stock shimano pulleys (plastic of course)

[Mar 19, 1998]
Stephen Eddy
weekend warrior

I have had them for about 2 years, haven't had any problems yet they did improve shifting some. I got them at a kiler price $11.00 close out this was my reason for buying, can't get top to float so I do agree on that. They are easier to cleen than most and have been virtually silent and smooth for me.

[Jul 09, 1997]
Duane
cross-country rider

If you have to buy after market pulleys, don't buy these or any others without float in the upper pulley. I had the Bullseyes (Carmichaels are the same) and was always playing with the adjustment on the rear derailluer to try and keep the shifting up to snuff. Got tired and frustrated and went back to the old Shimanos. I recently got the Bebop pulleys and can agree with another reviewer about how great they work (check them out on their web site). Control Techs should work fine too since they license the design from Bebop. I have also tried Hersey pulleys and they work very well too. All three designs have float, which you must have if you want great shifting. Oh, by the way, the latest issue of Mt. Bike Action pretty much came to the same conclusion in their pulley test.

[May 13, 1996]
Francis
racer

These are without a doubt the dumbest purchase I ever made for my bike. $20 bucks for pulleys was kind of steep but I figured, save a little weight, less friction, last longer and look cool too. Well these were a pain to install cause you have to install many little washers to make them spin at all on my XT der. No weight is saved, the less friction story is a joke. the cool anodizing started scratching off after one ride. And worse of all my shifting went to hell! It turns out these pulleys are not compatible with shimano cause they have no float. Oh by the way, both pulleys fell off their bearing after 2 months. I felt like an idiot. 0 stars for this product that SUCKS!

[May 17, 1998]
Robert
racer

These things are truly horrid, at least on road bikes. For some silly reason I replaced an old and beat-up set of Campy pulleys with these. Um, _bad_ idea. The top one ain't floatin', girl, and unless you get the RD dialed within .001 of perfection, you will not be shifting when you want to and/or you'll be shifting at the least desirable moment. Verdict: product sucks, it is a significant downgrade.

[Jan 11, 1997]
Jeff
cross-country rider

I had positive results with them too. I got a L.A.R.K. kit 'cause I had ghost shifting problems with my Amp - macpherson rear suspension (a little flexy in hard hairpin turns) with XT rear de. and gripshift 800 x-rays (and the stock plastic pulleys had worn almost smooth). Well it really helped the problem alot and the pulleys show little signs of wear. The bitch was getting that spring on like the instructions said. I got it on after doing some zen meditation. I hardly ever have to do anymore on the fly derailer adjusting. They do seem to pick up alot of gunk though which is easy to wipe off except in those little holes - don't forget to brush your teeth!

[Jan 16, 2001]
Red

Strength:

Inexpensive and easy to find on sale

Need futzing to set up properly
Not as strong as the solid Control Tech pulley
Hard to justify when there are competitive brands out there that work better

This review relates to eight-speed 1997 (old style) XT derailleurs, I have no experience with the bulkier newer models. I have thousands of miles on the old ones & so have felt no need to buy new.

If you are interested in sealed bearing pulleys the Control Tech versions work much better. I replaced some wornout XT pulleys with Control Techs after a set of Carmichaels proved impossible to adjust, then the upper pulley broke in two. The solid Control Techs have worked extremely well after a short period of wearing in their teeth to the chain. I would say that performance is better than brand new XT, comparing it to a 1998 XT I got on clearance.

One word on the older (1997) XTR derailleur. I don't know if Control Techs are any better than 8-speed XTR pulleys, these XTR pulleys do seem to work better than standard XT (one of the very few real differences IMHO). But the Control Techs work AS WELL, and I find my upgraded Control Tech-equipped XT eight speed now shifts as well as the much more expensive 1997 XTR.

[Nov 24, 2000]
Matt

Strength:

lower friction, easy to install, good shifting

I love these pulleys. I noticed a significant decrease in friction when I switched out the stock Shimano bushing pulleys for these sealed bearing ones. The ones on my Performance use an older set of spacers, such that there is _no_ floating pulley. It works great.
I bought the pulleys for my Airborne ('99 LX rear derailleur) which have a floating pulley setup, but didn't follow the directions correctly the first time and set up one thin and one fat spacer on each pulley with no shifting problems. I then figured out my blunder, set it up with a floating top pulley, and have not noticed a difference in shifting. I also have not had any problems with the different bolts rubbing my spokes.
I'm running an XT 11-32 rear cassette, so using the 10-tooth pulleys hasn't been a problem for me. The 11-tooth pulleys were brought out in order to allow more chain wrap when using the extreme spacing of an 11-34 or 12-34 cassette.

stock Shimano pulleys, 6, 7, and 9-speed