Bullet Brothers Chain Tensioner Chain Accessories

Bullet Brothers Chain Tensioner Chain Accessories

Bullet Bros. HyperTension Chain Tension System is retro cool and functional to boot. An awesome device which increases chain tension at the rear derailleur to help eliminate chainslap, chainsuck and ghost shifting. 38g in XC Mode, 45g In DH Mode.

[Jun 21, 2011]
Barry Shaw

Strength:

Nil Can't see what you selling!

Can't see

[Apr 08, 1999]
Jason Rivers

Strength:

it's aluminum

Is a HUGE waste of money. If you have 20 bucks to spend on a product like this, use it more wise and buy some beer or something.

crap. take your 20 bucks and buy a case of high - quality beer...you'll appreciate it more.

[Mar 24, 1998]
ryan wirth
weekend warrior

this product definately reduces slap on your chainstays,but could use some improvements such as more spring tension and a bar that sits higher so that the spring always has some tension onit, as th bullet bros one when in lowest at the front and highest on the back does not create enough tension

[Mar 24, 1998]
steve
weekend warrior

The thing does stop chain slap and suck. It also stops smooth shifting. The derailluer mount block didn't fit my 97 XT rear derailluer? Give me a break. I filed down the block to fit. Tried it on one ride. I think the block was sized wrong so everbody will file it down to try it, then they can't return it! Coincidencece, I think not. It comes with a cross country (light) and downhill spring (heavy). My XT derailleur and XTR shifter could not function with the downhill spring installed! The cross country worked but shifting performance bit the big one. Try the Kore instead, can't be any worse!

[Oct 27, 1997]
Dave
cross-country rider

It worked well for a particular downhill trail that I seemed to
drop the chain regularly. For crosscountry, though, it made
my down-shifting (LX RF) harder to move the lever. I took it off.

[Jan 03, 1997]
John Echols
racer

I totally love it!!!!! It kicks all other chain tensioners ass's. It works beautifully against chain suck and chain slap. It only took me about five minutes to install it, and there is no trouble taking off the rear wheel. All you pussies out there that say it sucks.....SUCK

[Jan 17, 1997]
Peter
weekend warrior

It is a good chain tesioner. It didn't work as good on my STX der. because of the cage. But with the XTR mid cage it is the bomb no slap yet. Pain in the butt to remove your rear wheel.

[Jan 08, 1997]
Bird
cross-country rider

It does a good job reducing (not eliminating) chain slap on my Amp style rear suspension. The spring can catch grass and stuff sometimes (no B.F.D.). The spring stretched out and I just cut it shorter and rebent it around the hole. In order to ease rear wheel removal I cut a slot in the upper side of mine just wide enough to slip it off the skewer without having to completely unscrew the skewer and worry about losing the spring, etc. I used a dremel tool with the cutting wheel (If anyone does this be sure to wear some kind of safety glasses).

[Oct 03, 2000]
Darran

Strength:

Simple design, fairly effective.

Rear wheel removal.
Difficult to get hold of as they're apparently not made any more.

Reduces but does not totally eliminate chain slap. Still need some sort of chain stay guard to get rid of noise and damage. The only chain tensioner I could find that fits the fat chain stays on my Klein Mantra. I've got one one each bike now and a spare in the tool box. No shifting problems encountered on either bike.

[Oct 06, 1999]
Gearhead
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

inexpensive
works well
comes with two springs
looks cool

removing the rear wheel is annoying
incorrect arm alignment can mess up shifting

I do mostly XC and trials, and got this because my chain would drop off my middle chainring or pop off my cassette when I did a big bunny hop. It was the only inexpensive tensioner I could find that would work on my sans chainstay bike, and I had to hunt all over to find it. But when I first installed it, shifting was horrible! Yes, the chain stayed on, but it wasn't worth the poor shifting. Then I looked at the placement of the arm. It hung right over the smallest cog -- no wonder shifting in the bigger cogs was terrible. So I bent the arm inward until it rested around the 4th and 5th cogs. Bingo! Shifting became MUCH better, if not better than before it was installed. I use the XC spring, and it works really well, no more rear derailleur arm snapping or chain popping off when I jump. Having the two springs is nice too, for I used the heavy spring on my LX derailleur, which had very little chaintension. When I got my XTR, which has more tension itself than the LX, then the XC spring was perfect. Also, I think it looks really cool. It's a great idea -- too bad it is not made anymore. 5 stars for a great product whose only fault is the incorrect arm alignment.