Blackspire Stinger Chain Guide Chain Accessories

• Works with almost any Bashring
  • Molded Stepped Roller
  • Fits up to 40t chainrings

bicyclebillpdx   [Mar 19, 2013]
Strength:

Absolute best bang for the buck for a double chainring chain guide. Much less friction than the Specialized version that came on bike. Very easy to install and adjust.

None that I've found yet.

I've got factory ISG '05 tabs on my '12 Stumpy with PF30 bottom bracket, and this was literally as easy as following the instructions and tightening the bolts. Took about 30 seconds to properly set up. Zero adjustments or bending required on my bike.

peanutaxis   [Jan 09, 2013]

Everything

this is a shockingly bad product. first of all the three countersunk screws don't even fit into the beveled slots which ensures that they rub on the small chainring bolts.

i followed the instructions* and my small chainring is the correct distance away from the face of the blackspire, but the chain continuously rubs on the blackspire's face in most gears when in the small chainring. but it gets worse. blackspire claim that trek must not have followed the correct standards of their placement of the iscg bolts. this is nonsense, though, because according to the instructions my small chainring's clearance to the blackspire is fine.

p.s. apparently there are 14 reviews of this product, and the overall rating is 4, but only one other is visible, and it is terrible. i suspect blackspire of putting up false reviews.

*http://www.blackspire.com/site_assets/www.blackspire.com/images/dynamic/stinger_setup_guide.pdf

Jack   All Mountain Rider [Jul 15, 2012]
Strength:

controls chain great. simple less is more aproach. extreamly efective.

only the cost of shipping from canada to usa was a bit steep. the rest was affordable. have to sand mount screws to clear granny bolts.had to bend 2mm to left.

I pedal a 2012 trek remedy 7 with 6" of suspension. this wonder full bike drops the chain because of too much suspension for 30 speed. actualy a compliment to trek.so i checked all the boards including this one and this is what i did. i swapped the 3rd front chainring for a raceface 36 tooth bash and then swapped the 32 tooth 2nd ring for a 36 tooth . yes the mount screws needed sanding to clear granny crank bolts.( no big deal).i sanded them myself then had a certified tech install it. "SUNBAUM CYCLE" joliet illinois.they did a great job for only $40.now yes the roller did not line up so i then bent is my self a couple mm to cyclists' left. stinger calls for 4 to 6 mm to center of granny to stinger and trek remedy 7 is about 3 mm. the bend fixes this and the line up.. sure the bend is also catywhomed. dont matter. it works great! had it out on ruff places and jumps and hardly heard the chain at all.my bike techs at sunbaum were very nice to help because shtuff like this can sometimes not work out. also watch how close roller is to bassh cuz it must barely not pinch when changing front rings. to close pinches . think im 2mm awway from bash and 10 -12 mm from chainstay.removed one link, but 2 is possible if needed.blackspire stinger works great once you tailor it to your situation, and have faith but novice wrenches should be happy to pay a tech for help because no chain dropp and perfect shifting is heaven.

pulpwoody   All Mountain Rider [May 28, 2012]
Strength:

Simple.

Didn't mount with the granny ring on, notch on the roller doesn't line up.

So this is supposed to be a chain tensioner for a 2x set up, I get that. However, with the existing hardware on my bike, the ring bolts on the granny gear would rub against the mounting screws of the stinger. How's that supposed to work? Answer: it didn't. The roller has a notch that the chain is supposed to sit in when the chain is in the middle ring. However, the chain never even came close to riding inside of the notch, and there was no way for me to make the chain sit in the notch without drastically changing the chain line, which I'm not doing for something so minor as a chain tensioner. I read some reviews about how you have to bend the Stinger to get the chain to line up with the notch. Are you serious??? I know BlackSprire makes some quality products, but this one didn't work for me at all.

Lostrover   Downhiller [Jan 20, 2011]
Strength:

Durable and cheap,

The Only weakness is the the Quality control, i had to sand off some material to get the screws provided to sit flush in the guide.

best dual chain guide on the market, I had an MRP LRP on another bike, this works just the same at way less of a price.

Similar Products Used: MRP LRP
dwt   Cross Country Rider [Nov 17, 2010]
Strength:

Inexpensive, easy to install. BB or ISCG mount options

Wish I knew about this product when I first was looking for a chain guide for my 1 x 9. The Stylo 1.1 crank comes with a bash, so it limits your guide options. I tried jury-rigging the MRP 1.x which is not supposed to be run with a bash. Ended up wasting $$. The Stinger is cheaper and easier, and works with any 1 ring + bash set up. Also works with 2 ring set ups (bash, middle, granny).

Similar Products Used: MRP 1.x
pocgnikcuf   Weekend Warrior [Feb 05, 2010]
Strength:

cheap, light, very quiet, BB install was easy

3mm thick, shimano BB spacers are 2.5, so on a 760 XT crank the roller is too close to the 22t granny gear. Bought a .7mm spacer and that helped a lot

a cheap but good way to try out a dual ring set up on an all mountain bike.

Devon   Downhiller [Jan 26, 2010]
Strength:

Works perfectly! Haven't dropped a chain since I got it, is comepletely silent, shifts well, and helps stop chain slap. I haven't found anything wrong with it and it's so good, I would buy it for double the price!

None at all

It is completely perfect, and is much more than I asked for

Similar Products Used: E-13 single ring
atchipmunk   Weekend Warrior [Oct 10, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap, and IT WORKS! Haven't dropped a chain since I installed it! Works great with a RF 36T Bashguard!

Can't really think of any other than a lack of included installation instructions. Blackspire does have install instructions available online though, so no big deal. I guess if you're REAL hard on your bike, it might not be the stoutest of chain guides. If I bend this one, i'll definitely buy another one. Can't beat the price!

Bottom line is that this thing works and for the price, you just can't beat it! Was gonna buy the Blackspire Dewlie but opted for the Stinger and a RF 36T Bashguard in order to save the $50 for other goodies. Buy one...it's worth it!

Similar Products Used: None. Bought this one based on reviews.
sgf2   Weekend Warrior [Sep 16, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap, does the job very well.

None really. the only thing I recommend is to get an lbs to install it. I didn't tighten the roller enough and lost it somewhere at Whistler. If you see it give me a PM.... The spare roller was around $12.

I kept dropping my chain and decided it was time to buy a chain guide system. This one kept coming to my attention. I figured what the heck, i'm like 3k into my bike if this $25 dollar part doesn't work I'll just buy the $125 and up ones. like I'll miss $25 in the grand scheme of bike costs...

Turns out it works really well, I've been to Whistler over 10 times countless north shore runs and probably 15 times at Diablo Freeride Park, since I've got it and I can't remember ever dropping my chain. There's no rub or extra noise anywhere. I don't even notice its there. IF I break it, I'm buying another.

Bottom Line: Buy it, you won't regret it.