Blackspire Dewlie Chainguide Chain Accessories

Dewlie Chainguide

Free ride chain device. For a dual ring set up. For use with splined BB/crank only. Comes with inner plate, all hardware, two chainrings and an outer plate.

Zero drag when climbing. Tension when descending. The perfect all mountain chain device.

Colours : black

El Toverino   Weekend Warrior [Jul 27, 2009]
Strength:

Easy to fit and does the job its meant to do. I've been riding trails including a very rocky dried stream bed, hitting jumps, drops and tree stumps and nothing has managed to make this thing drop a chain. Didn't have any problems fitting it or following the instructions; there's only two bits to it and its pretty self explanatory. I did it with a few alan keys and socket set and took about 20 mins.

Rear shifting affected ever so slightly, but then i haven't tried to fix it yet so could be a non issue. The top curvey bit seems a bit pointless.

A good product that does exactly what you want it to do. Although i think you could achieve the same or similar results with a stinger and bash ring and save yourself 1/3 of the cash. It gets a 4 cos of the cost, but then its the cheaper than e13 etc so that might be unfair.

Similar Products Used: None.
Jake   Downhiller [Jun 23, 2003]
Strength:

keeps chain tensioned

nothing if you only pedal forward....

The bottom line is this product is great if you only pedal forward. Half a pedal stroke backwards and the chain falls off the top ring and down onto the granny. This happens in 2/3rds of the gear combinations in the top ring. In the middle of a long log ride 20ft in the air this can be very dangerous. I challenge anyone to get their chain to stay on while back pedaling. After emailing the Blackspire Dewlie guys for help on why this is happening I realized it is simply poor engineering and simply a poor product. I’m looking at buying the Evil dual chain guide which has obviously addressed and solved this problem. Secondly I’m ashamed that Norco and Blackspire Dewlie have suckered me into buying such a poorly tested product. Shame on you!! If anyone feels I’m out of line please email me with comments.

Jake   Downhiller [Jun 22, 2003]
Strength:

Keeps chain from getting stuck between granny and frame

ah...maybe I don't have this setup properly and if anyone disagrees PLEASE help and respond to my email address. This was my first ride on my new shore…and the bike is great, but this chain tension thing is not working so well. It tends to keep the chain in place when riding on the bumps, but in certain gear combinations the chain falls off constantly. I don’t know about everyone else but I tend to back pedal a half stroke here and there to setup for stunts and drops. This usually happens when I’m in the big ring and the upper gears in the back. Since the derailleur has moved the opposite direction to the big ring it will pull off the chain down to the granny in one revolution. For my style of riding this product is complete junk. Sorry Blackspire Dewlie, kudos on trying…but the lack of testing is quite obvious here, better luck next time.

mike gleason   Downhiller [Feb 20, 2006]
Strength:

everything you need out the box. solid part

this is a great product. the manual says that chain guides are rarely an "out of the box installation" well this is an out of the box install. only had to mount and adjust, no trimming or shaving. the back pedal issue is only if you have a bad chain line

Similar Products Used: black spire ds-1
Bogdan M   Weekend Warrior [Oct 02, 2003]
Strength:

Keeps the chain on most times

If you do any urban stuff the little roller gets bashed into the object you bash ... instead fo the bash ring.

This is a pretty good product. I have had similar issue with it as the guy below me when backpedaling, though it is not happening to me withthat much frequency. Actually almost never when I ride. Most when I stop and the pedal goes backwards. Maybe I just don't backpedal enuff when I ride, I dunno, but it doesn't seem as severe. Also when I am doing urban type stuff where balance is and issue and I backpedal, I tend to be in the granny.

My major beef is with the roller bashing up on stuff when I try to get up on a 2-3 foot ledge. Instead of the bashring taking it, the roller gets it first ... so beware of that. I t is still in good shape despite a lot of wacks so it doesn't seem to be much a prob.

value wise .. dunno it came on my bike ... so not too sure. But over all I would say 3-4 chillys ...

brad morfitt   Weekend Warrior [Dec 03, 2006]
Strength:

it is on of the strongest chainguides i have owned i have not had any problems with it and when i bought it it cam with new sprockets and bash guard.

this is a very strong chainguide and i would recomend it to all of my friends

Tom Morgan   Cross Country Rider [Nov 22, 2003]
Strength:

keeps the chain on. Comes complete with all the gear you need to make it work. Heavy duty outer plate resists
bending.

None that I can see. It does what it is supposed to do.

This thing woeks great. I had some trouble at the outset
getting the right bb, which caused me all kinds of grief.
The inner plate goes under the bb shell, and it put the chainline outboard, so the chain was always trying to derail. I found this out at the bike shop. They put in an e type bb from tru vativ, and it fixed the problem. Funny thing what not reading the instuctions will do for you.

I would buy this agian and have rec'd it to friends.

Similar Products Used: None
Adam   Downhiller [Aug 15, 2006]
Strength:

This was a true set it and forget product for me. No dropped chains, full range of gears, stealthy looks, great price.

The roller is noisy, but I've come to enjoy it as it lets me know when I'm not pedalling hard enough. Also, it's only noticeable on hills and fireroads.

I agree with other posters that the directions are useless, but if you have a basic understanding of what this chain guide is intended for, you should be able to set it up quickly. For what I paid for it, I figured the guide could be a throw away because chainrings and a bashguard should cost more than $60, but the guide has been great. I would buy it again at retail when/if the time comes. Right now I'm planning to put the Dewlie on my Heckler and get a DS-1 for my Iron Horse.

Similar Products Used: None
Judson Hall   Downhiller [Apr 19, 2003]
Strength:

Does all it says it will. Chain no longer clanks around on my stays and so far zero chain hopping. I was having a brutal time with my chain falling off, not being in the right gear, and smacking down on the front derailleur and stays. No more of that!

I've never used a guide system before so I don't know if this is normal or if I installed it poorly but it buzzes in certain gears from the chain lightly rubbing the guide wheel. I actually like the buzz except for when I'm riding around campus.

I was surprised with the ease of installing the Dewlie and really have no regrets with it so far. It wasn't cheap, but to me it is incredibly more worthwhile than a standard guide system. I pedal just as much up hill (steeeep) as I do down on a normal day so I need two rings. Solid product that does all it's supposed to and it looks badass!

Josh   Downhiller [Jun 12, 2006]
Strength:

It keeps the chain on.

The chain guide is fairly easy to mount. The directions however are completely useless. They have one set of directions for ALL of their guides which is no help for the Dewlie. The design of the guide is poor. The inner plate is almost the same diameter as the bash guard. Thus when you bash hard the inner plate takes the hit as well which can cause it to move. The roller is not wide enough. With the front in the granny the chain will bear on the roller. And this is with the correct bottom bracket setup.

The guide does not guide adequately for my bike. I tried everything including flipping the roller around and I find it lacking mechanically.

Similar Products Used: First chain guide so take my review with a grain of salt.