Blackspire Big Ring Protector Bashguard Chain Accessories

Big Ring Protector Bashguard

McNewbie   Cross Country Rider [Sep 01, 2008]
Strength:

unbreakable... allows you to keep the high gear in front, and keeps them from getting all messed up when you can't quite bunnyhop that log or whatever. adds confidence, looks ace

had to buy the bolts separately; the outside is rounded instead of sawtoothed so you can't use it to bite in and roll yourself over stuff.. puts a lot of stress on your cranks + rings + BB if you hit too hard

buy it if it will fit your crankset. i'd take it over a 3rd-gear bash ring replacement.

one of the reviewers below complained about the UPS shipping costs, but i just talked to Aaron at blackspire and he shipped me my bolts by post, saved me a bundle, plus gave me free stickers to boot! blackspire rocks!

it looks fierce when you mount it on your bike!

matthewbanningsmith   Downhiller [Jul 05, 2008]
Strength:

STRONG! EVERYTHING!

Replacement parts (even a bolt) cost as much as the product in the U.S.) but it's cheap, no big deal. Steel and Iron obstacles will dent an aluminum bash, but not enough to worry.

Today I took a 1 inch chunk of public concrete out with my bash guard without even a ding on this thing. This thing is sick and gets me all worked up just thinking of the damage to public property I have and will continue to do. Steel and Iron are stronger than aluminum and will dent the bash pretty good, but you are in no way in danger of screwing up a sprocket or worse. As the aluminum compacts from steel bashes it seems to get stronger (go figure) and holds up to sick urban assault riding. I'm so happy with this thing, it's the best (and cheapest) upgrade for my bike. Dude, buy 2 and forget it. I say buy 2 because the replacement parts are as expensive as the whole thing if you live in the U.S. (freakin canadians), but way worth it. Buy 1 and just watch how tight the bolts are if you urban ride all the time, bash should get you through. Bolts and spacers are sold seperatly at $12 plus $23 for shipping to the U.S. Yep, thats $35 for a bolt on a $40 product, But the part lets you just freakin beat on it. Great stuff, too bad black spire doesn't make other parts as well or ship to the U.S. like a sane dealer.

Similar Products Used: not much out there for the big ring
matt smith   Cross Country Rider [May 31, 2008]
Strength:

Strongest bash guard ever, actually protects the big ring and doesn't replace it.

Dude....NONE, I'm convinced this thing will survive anything.

This thing has put dents in concrete ledges, no kidding. Great for destroying public property. It may be the strongest part of my bike. I really think the frame would crack before this thing does. It really will crack open rocks. Makes me stoked just thinkin' about it. Best investment I've made on any bike.