Bionicon C.Guide V.02 Chain Guide Chain Accessories

Bionicon C.Guide V.02 Chain Guide Chain Accessories

a sweet new 19-gram chain guide called the C.Guide......

[Jun 27, 2013]
Yeti_Spaghetti

Strength:

price (compared to other chain guides)
weight
performance

price (for what it is)
fragile

I bought one of these 6 months ago to mitigate chain slap and dropped chains. It worked great until one day a stick got wedged in with the chain through the plastic tube. I stopped on the trail and fixed it, but the guide was never the same. The arms that retain the tube are easily bent and the zip tie supports break frequently. Once the arms were bent, the two halves of the tube weren't held together as well and that increased drag on the chain. Finally, one day I got home and the c.guide had simply disappeared. I guess it broke off somewhere on the trail. It gave me an excuse to upgrade to an MRP roller. hopefully it will be more robust. Also, for anyone who cares, the red color is more blood red than most other red anodized parts.

[Jun 09, 2013]
montana_ben

Strength:

Worked great--for awhile

Seems to lose effectiveness as parts wear and chain stretches.

Set this up on a new bike, 1x9, hardtail with xo (non clutch) rear der. New chain, cassette, derailleur, crank--and it worked great for awhile. Chain slap was lessened, and running with a bash I never dropped the chain to the inside. Now with 2-300 miles on the parts the c-guide is still there and intact, but chain is dropping every ride and chain slap seems to be increasing--chainstay is getting beat up way up near the chainring, where I usually don't even run a protector. Even took a link out to increase tension in the system but no joy. For a little while I was very happy with it, now ordered an E13 guide.

[Jun 08, 2013]
t3mplar

Strength:

Very light
Very simple to install
Works with a 3x front crankset

I was looking for a chain guide for a 3x crankset but there are no options out there, except the C.Guide. Although the price can seem a bit high at $50, if you consider the alternatives, it is very cost effective. To get one of the new clutch systems like would have to replace my drive train to a 10 speed from a 9 and that would cost me well over $250 (new derailleur, cassette, rear 10 speed shifter). Or to get a decent chain guide, it over a $100.

So far no chain drops and much quieter on the descents. No complaints and well worth it.

[Jun 07, 2013]
Miker J

Strength:

Works well, as advertised.

Price for what it is. Otherwise none so far.

As above.

[Jun 03, 2013]
Tarekith

Strength:

Small and lightweight, easy to install, works perfectly even for more aggressive riding/terrain.

Screw that hold the unit together could be a little larger/stronger.

I was a little hesitant about how well this little chainguide would work, as I am definitely on the more agressive side of things when it comes to all mountain riding. So far after a couple weeks of heavy use on really rough trails, not had a single dropped chain. Something that would happen often on my Rocky Mountain Slayer70 when the trails got rough. It's even held up great when hitting larger jumps and drops at the bike park, so no complaints from me. Just be sure you add a couple links to your chain when you install the Bionicon, otherwise your shifting may suffer.

Only slight downside in my opinion is the allen screw that holds the two halves of the guide together is kind of small. Even the manufacturer recommends putting tape or something over it to keep it in place. Surely there's a sturdier option?

Regardless, does what it's supposed to quite well, even on rougher trails and larger stunts.

[May 27, 2013]
pocgnikcuf
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Light, Light, light. Easy install, can't break or bend like a roller guide when riding square edged rocks. Keeps your chain on your rings.

Plastic mount can snap, mine did, but it comes with a spare. Paid full retail, $50. Wow.

Great product, basically the same thing that comes on a new Stumpjumper.

Blaskspire roller.

[May 13, 2013]
celman1

Strength:

Construction, Design, Cost, Mounting options

none so far

Read many differing opinions and decided to go ahead and buy...only $50, not the end of the world if it doesn't work. I was very pleased with its performance. Our trails along the Front Range here in Colorado go straight up and straight down. Lots of lost chains on the rocky steep trails. This device works perfectly. Very quiet too and I do not notice any additional drag or any issues whatsoever. Great addition to my freeride rig!

[Mar 25, 2013]
Jantzen
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

prevents chain suck and chain slap if it's not broken.

Extremely delicate thus easily broken.

It's a great idea, but breaks far too easily and is too costly to economically justify the constant need to replace the "barrell" (or more if you happen not to notice you have snapped it off and the guide then tries to follow your chain through your rear mech).

Specialized specs many of their Stumpjumpers and Enduros with a similar unit (made by Specialized) that does not break.

I cannot recommend this product until it's made more durable.

[Feb 04, 2013]
Chuck

Strength:

Prevents chain suck and chain slap

Plastic parts, cheaply made, doesn't last

This thing was great when I first got it. Did everything I was looking for it to do, stopped the chain suck, no more chain slap, and was able to hit bigger things without having to worry about my chain slopping around. Unfortunately everyone is correct this thing isn't worth $50.00 and it doesn't last. I broke mine and I am going to have to find some other solution for my chain suck problems. If you have money to burn and don't care go for it, it'll last about a month of hard riding.

[Jan 27, 2013]
Varaxis

Strength:

Gives peace of mind about chain security
Adds color to the bike
Can prevent some chain slap noise

Fragile
Adds pedaling resistance
Adds pedaling noise

Broke on me after maybe a dozen rides. I noticed it missing when my chain dropped on the inside, trying to shift to the granny ring on a climb. Metal part and the chain "shuttle" went missing, never to be found. Looked for maybe some support from JensonUSA, where I bought it, and they said I'm on my own on that, as they wouldn't accept just the plastic mount. Was like an Easter Egg hunt on the trail, looking for it a little blue anodized doohickey, worth $50.

Rode my bike without it and didn't find chainslap noise to be a problem really. No interest in getting another.