AJs Bikeparts FrameGuard Chain Accessories

Specifications:

• Prevents the chain from dropping off the inside of the chain rings
  • Protects the bottom bracket area from chain damage
  • Designed for use with 2 or 3 chain rings
  • Bottom bracket mounting fit most frame designs from hardtails to long travel suspension bikes
  • 2 models available to fit most BB shell width-BB spindle length combinations
  • fits new style integrated BB cranksets
  • CNC machined 6061 T6 and black anodized
  • weight-52 grams
  • XC and freeride tested

• User Reviews (14)

bgriff008   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2010]
    Strength:

Works like it says

Everyone who posted before me, has already said everything there is to say about this product....Just plain awesome. My chain has never come off since I installed this. Also, it protects the BB shell and Frame....Great product.

Similar Products Used: None
    Bobthebuilder4541   Weekend Warrior [Oct 23, 2009]
    Strength:

It works a treat! I would not have a bike without one now. well finished.

Bit pricey, Can't find them anywhere now. How can a product this good not be sold at every LBS in the world.

Great product! Full Stop!

Similar Products Used: ronnie ring
    Jeffrey Hoffmann   Weekend Warrior [Jan 05, 2009]
    Strength:

It works - It can't not work! The design is so simple it is fool proof. It can't go out of adjustment because there is no adjustment once set up (there is a spacer supplied for minor adjustment which I did not use). Tried to throw the chain off by mis-adjusting the front derailer, lossening the chain even sticking a screwdriver in it to force the chain off the inner chainring and I could not get the chain to come off! Beautiful CNC execution and it fits. AJ has two widths according to the bottom bracket width.

None.(only come in anodyzed black)

Why is this not installed on all bikes? Good price for something that actually works, keeps you from getting killed on a downhill, is made well, and did I mention it actually works! And it's made in the USA. Worth every dollar. Stop complaining about the $10 clamp on "thing" that does not work on your $_,000 bike and spend a couple of bucks for a quality part!

Similar Products Used: N-Gear Jump Stop and Redline "tooth" clamp-on type of devices.
    vmoon2@cox.net   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 2008]
    Strength:

really works

should be called a chain tamer or something related to keeping the chain in place. The frame guard name made me pass on it before. I thought it was just to protect paint.

Very rarely do I make phone calls to my friends to tell them they have to buy something. This invention is simple and trick. I no longer have to interupt my flow to convince my shifter to grind the chain back on after coming off. I don't have to stop and pull it off my bb shell with my hands either. You big companies out there, try one out and make it a standard deal on your triple ring aggressive trailbikes. This is a product that once on, you'll take it for granted. Pull it off, and you'd wish you had'nt. Excellent idea AJ.

Similar Products Used: nothing else, but have been researching rollers. I like being triple chainring so this was one of my few options.
    Stephen   Cross Country Rider [Feb 07, 2007]

No matter if I started a downhill run in the middle ring or not, seems by the end, or at least when I needed to peddle again my chain was sitting there on the frame.. Let me tell you the frame got trashed over time. Wish I had known about this product before.

I've been on a couple of pretty good rides since installing it, Chiquito was the last one and I had NO problems what so ever, I can even ride in the granny gear knowing that the chain will be there when I need it.

The best features are that I can keep all 3 rings up front and don't have to go for a chain tensioner and rock solid manufacturing.

Go AJ!

Kracker   [Jan 30, 2006]
    Strength:

IT WORKS!!! no more chains eating the bottom bracket!

hard to get a hold of one... not many retailers out there; avg price $40 - a bit high for a machined aluminum ring, but hey it works

GET ONE! I’ve tried two different dual ring tension guides to keep the chain from dropping. They worked (sometimes) but cause the chain to drop when you backpedal. The AJ's Frame Guard works with 1, 2 or 3 rings. It adds no tension to the drive train and doesn’t affect the chain line so pedaling is unaffected. There is no way the chain can drop... it's as big as the mid chainring.

More retailers should carry the frame guard IN-STOCK, been waiting over a week for mine. And what's with the $40 price tag, I know it's not much but it has to cost less than a forth of that to make. For that I give it a 3 on value.

Similar Products Used: MRP LRP , E-13 DRS
    Jeremiah   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2006]
    Strength:

It works!

None.

I built a new bike and with previous bikes I have always had an occasional problem with the chain falling off from mid to granny. Now that I have installed this I have never had a problem with the chain falling off. Great product and not too expensive or bulky.

Pawel   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2005]
    Strength:

Stops chain jumps for good. Allows to ride with a completely slack chain. Sturdy.

Expensive. Requires a bottom-bracket cup with a lip. Another FrameGuard's version may be required after a drivetrain rearrangement.

The FrameGuard is outstanding. I first used it when riding with a 4t of chain slack beyond what the rear derailleur tensioner could absorb. I could regularly shift when standing without any chain jumps. Spare your chain, frame and the small ring, and $10-15, when buying a cheaper chain-jump protection, and go immediately for the FrameGuard.

Similar Products Used: N-Gear Jump Stop
    Larry   [Feb 17, 2006]
    Strength:

It simply WORKS.

None.

This is an easy review to write since the product flat out works as it's supposed to. I couldn't not use the typical "fang" type chain guards due to my frame design, so I searched another solution and found the AJ's Frameguard. Before using this product, my chain would fall off every couple rides at least once. Since installing the Frameguard on my Giant VT3, my chain has not dropped off once.

I am getting one of these for my girlfriend's bike, and I plan to use one of these on any future bike I get right off the bat (before I even ride it the first time.) It's a bit more expensive than other similar products, but it REALLY WORKS.

Note that my bike needed the "new" version with the extra machining (less metal on the inner ring area.) If you have a suspension pivot that is close to the BB shell, make sure you get this new version.

One last note -- I called AJ at the company and he was quite nice, taking the time to answer my questions before I ordered it. This is a quality product from a good company.

Larry

thephat   [Sep 20, 2004]
    Strength:

It is simple, no moving parts, and not too heavy.

Not as secure as a chainguid, but less heafty, simpler, cheaper, and no drag.

I used to drop the chain on this bike, and it would get stuck between the small ring and the main pivot. This is not possible any longer. If the chain is going to come off,it is going to come off over the top of the frame gaurd, or out past the big ring. I'm not sure, but I think this thing would help deal w/ chainsuck too.