SRAM Powerglide PG-850 8SP Cassette

SRAM Powerglide PG-850 8SP Cassette

Sram PG-850 8/sp Cassette with Powerglide technology assures smooth shifting.

[May 29, 2010]
Bozo

Strength:

Light, approximately ~220 grams (lighter than 8 speed XT). Individual sprockets can be easily replaced, if local bike shops would sell them...

Sprockets are connected to each other with one pin: when lock-ring is not tight enough, significant sprockets movement occurs... 3-4 gear sprockets wear out fast, careful and slow shifting is a must.

Light with good shifting performance for the first 1000 miles of XC riding. Switching back to heavier Shimano for durability and longevity reasons.

Shimano HG70, Shimano XT.

[Mar 11, 2009]
Solomon76

Strength:

Light, Inexpensive

Up shifts very slow

It may be because the rest of my drivetrain is Shimano, but this cassette shifts very slow for me. I've tried dialing the barrel adjuster in to get it to shift better but I haven't had any luck. It is something that I can probably live with and I may wait until it naturally wears out to replace it. But I will definitely replace it with some other brand of cassette.

[Aug 20, 2007]
Chris

Strength:

none,...

everything

i've gone through 2,...that's right,...2 PG-850's over the last 6 months,...i didn't want to go through jumping to a 9-speed when i'm so used to having an 8. the first one snapped a few teeth off one of the larger cogs,...no big deal becuase SRAM sent me a second one and on that one, the 11 tooth cog snapped in half right in the middle of a race,...don't get me wrong,...its no often that you need to use the smallest cog in a race but this race called for it and it failed the test...i'm an avid SRAM lover to the end but i'll never use this cassette again...

Shimano XT

[Apr 27, 2007]
cougar

Strength:

Quick shifting, 11-28 perfect for me (also available in 11-32 for peaple who like granny gears)

Seems to wear out a bit faster than Shimano cassettes

This is a nice cassette for people still running 8 speed. I'm not a fan of 9 speed for various reasons. These cassettes are tough, reliable, and very smooth and quick shifting (I also use SRAM chains which may aid this.) The only downside I have experienced with this casstte is that unless you replace the chain often, it seems to wear a bit faster then the Shimano cassettes.

Shimano 8 speed

[Nov 01, 2006]
Joe Kim

Strength:

Cheap. Easy to Install.

None yet.

Threw this on a set of deore/sunlite rhino rims and a set of slicks for commuting. Gets the job done; very nice smooth shifting. Yet to put a ton of mileage on it since the weather started to go south, but the 50+ miles that have been on it so far have been great. Didn't have to mess with the derailur when swapping out wheelsets from city/street to mountain. big plus.

[Aug 10, 2006]
Brian

Strength:

Gave me the gearing I wanted (11-32)

Only had it on for three rides- hasn`t had time to have problems yet

I know I haven`t put enough time on this cassette to see how it`s going to do over time, but what I was worried about was the big gap between 26t sprkt and 32t and this doesn`t seem to be any real problem. It`s noticeable, but it still shifts fine and I don`t go flying off the bike from the jolt. I put on a new chain at the same time and it ended up being the same length as the old chain. Simple. If anyone else is worried about the same thing, give it a try- it seems to be working for me.

Shimano 11-30 that came on bike

[May 06, 2007]
Mike

Strength:

Shifting was smooth and seamless. 8 speed ratios seemed just right for me.

On first real XC, fourth smallest sprocket shattered right in half. I was in the middle of a fairly technical climb, driving it with all my might then *crack. I thought the chain broke and looked down to find this sprocket in two pieces. Could have been worse and I could have been thrashed to the ground because of it so I guess I was lucky.

The bottom line is that I think I was a freak accident. The pro at the local bike shop said he had never seen anything like this before. I like to think its because of how strong my legs are. Oh yea, might be a good idea to mention that I weigh in at 225.

[Sep 10, 2005]
Cegrover

Strength:

Light weight and great performance. Availability of 32T cog for 8-speed.

None noted so far. Would like a 34T version even more.

This cassette has been great for all types of XC riding. It's almost as light as the XTR Ti cassette for a fraction of the price. There aren't all that many high quality, 8-speed cassettes available new anymore, but this is a very good one for those of us who have no desire to change to 9-speed, which just invites shifting problems (witness my wife's bikes). Five value chilis and four overall - a 34T cog might earn 5.

Shimano

[Aug 14, 2005]
Shane Dooley
Downhiller

Strength:

The chrome plating gives the bike some Bling factor!

It bent

HAd this cassette a week on my ride. I slipped off a skinny, not a real hard impact, the second and third ring bent like butter. The rear derailer hit also but never broke! At least the X9 is tough! If it is goin to come stock on a freeride/downhill ride then it should be able to take some hits! Well at least more then 1 !!!

Shimano XT

[Sep 23, 2005]
David

I just had my second one shatter on the smallest gear. Each one had 4 to 5 months of usage (approx 700 miles) before shattering. Half my riding is on pavement and half on trails. I don't do jumps or drops. I weigh around 160 pounds. I keep my drive train well-lubed.

Once could have been an anomoly. Twice sounds like a poorly engineered product to me. If you need dependability you might want to avoid this one. Note: SRAM graciously replaced the first one under warranty. Action on the second one is pending.