SRAM PG-990 9SP Cassette

Sram Powerglide PG-990 Cassette 9/speed. Sram's competition level 9/speed cassette. Anodized alloy Lock Ring. Blast Chrome Plated finish. Powergile II Precise shifting lanes designed to more smoothly shift the chain form cog to cog. Less wear, long l

Neverdab   Cross Country Rider [Nov 11, 2010]
Strength:

Very durable. Reasonable price and weight. Reliable shifting.

Zippo.

Just finished up my 3rd season on this thing and it still looks good and works great. I'm not the most diligent with cleaning and I'm not some pipe cleaner racer boy at 200lbs. It has been just dandy, always providing predictable shifting and with no visible wear on the teeth. I do change my chain once a year. As close to a set and forget drivetrain component as you're likely to find, five flamers all around.

Similar Products Used: XTR XT
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2010]
Strength:

works well

For me, shifts better than XT cassettes. Don't know about comparable durability yet.

Similar Products Used: xt
BokorSolo   Weekend Warrior [Jan 02, 2010]
Strength:

Lightest cassette I have ever used. Cool color and looked great on the bike. Shifted great.

Wears very quickly. Price is not too great if you were buying it MSRP or even on sale.

I was riding a few days a week about 1-3 hours per ride and by the end of the season the cassette was working horribly. The teeth wear very quickly. It is not worth the money if you are a recreational rider and you just want reliable, long-lasting equipment. Get a PG-980 or an XT, they last longer. Unless you are a racer. Then give it a try.

Similar Products Used: PG-980, Shimano XT
JH   Cross Country Rider [Nov 17, 2009]
Strength:

It never came to that...

Tolerances between spyder and freewheel

Building a new bike, got a cassette from Sram PG-990,2009,new condition. Tried to install it on a Shimano wheelset with a standard Shimano freewheel body(XT). The play of the spyder on that freewheel body is unacceptable...at least for me! The result would be a constant klicking noise under load change(shifting), reduced shifting quality. The play is radial meaning the freewheel (steel)would work it's way into the spyder (AL alloy). No, this is not my first bike I am building. Might be a one time fault??? No word yet from Sram! One chili is the lowest I can give, just for the look of the cassette, basically it is junk! Do not recommend!

Similar Products Used: xt, xtr mountain bike, ultegra, dura ace, campagnolo, miche road bike
Spokaned   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2009]
Strength:

Nice and lightweight, crisp shifting, looks great too. I had this on my last bike (Blur XC) and replaced the worn XT on my recently purchased Enduro SL PRO CARBON. Nothing wrong with the XT, just had great luck with the SRAM and I prefer buying from an american company.

None so far

I'm sold on SRAM's top-end stuff XO shifters, hollowpin chain, XO der. They're an innovative company cranking out great products and they're an alternative to Shimano (I always like choices).

Similar Products Used: XT cassette and chain
Bike Bloke   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2009]
Strength:

Weight, Performance, Looks...

Price - but if you know where to look, it's not so bad - especially next to XTR?!!

I've been running this for over a year now on my hardtail, and recently put one on my full suspension bike. Firstly, they obviously look great, but its not all looks. They shift much faster and smoother than my old 970, and the loss in weight is great. The only downside is the price, but you really cant get much better than this.

Similar Products Used: SRAM PG970, Shimano
DavidNeiles   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2009]
Strength:

Light and strong. Looks/Style. $$. Good way to go shimano-less

Can't say I have found one.

I have always loved shimano but, I got my first experience with my new ride last year that came w/ pretty much all sram. I upgraded right away to the 990 and x9 frt der. because I can! I now have 2 bikes with all sram and I love there smooth shifting and it has been flawless for me.(1:1 is better) I do keep my stuff in top shape(shop mechanic has its benefits). Can't say it is "soft", I ride hard and this cassette is really awesome. Can't say I'll go back to xt. Buy it if you don't want to run shimano and/or looking to save some $$

Similar Products Used: Have run Shimano xtr &xt for 13+ yrs. before moving to all sram now.
GrantB   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2009]
Strength:

Inexpensive.

Not a long wearing part

I am a cheap guy who likes to race a few times a year, so I'm always trying to split the difference between price/weight etc. In that pursuit, I've used I don't know how many of these things. I'm a victim of false economy, though.

I keep coming back because of the price. I look at the cost of an XT cassette and have to shake my head. So I pony up for the cheaper SRAM.

The problem is that, even changing chains well before the .75 stretch mark, I can't get one of these cassettes to last through more than one chain. I hate leaving a chain on too long because replacing chain rings is even more of a PITA than the cassette, so typically here I go getting another reasonably priced but made of butter SRAM.

Well, I returned to the XT today. I had one years ago that lasted and lasted. I couldn't believe it. Well, I sucked up my frugality and threw my lot in with a new XT. If I can get just through two chains with it it will have been as cost effective as the SRAM. And it's lighter, too. We'll see.