Shimano XT 750 9-spd Cassette

Shimano XT 750 9-spd Cassette

[Oct 09, 2008]
justjoshnya

Strength:

Light, Strong, smooth shifting, lasts a long time. Sexy.

Best cassette I've used. Albeit I've never tried SRAM personally, my experience as a bike mechanic has showed them to wear out super fast. I usually get 3 chains worth out of an xt cassette

LX and deore cassettes

[Jul 14, 2003]
Dan W

These reviews are nonsense. I ride this cassette all the time and have done so for almost 2 1/2 years. I shift on the thing CONSTANTLY and have not had a single cassette-related problem. It shifts as well as new. I ride mostly in dry, sandy conditions with drops and jagged rocks. I have crashed my fair share of times as well. If kept clean and used with a good chain, it should last for a long, long time.

[Jun 03, 2003]
Rob T

Strength:

Shifts good,lasts awhile if you use SRAM chains,widely available

Cogs bend if power shifted with Shimano chains

This is the second review.I straightened the cog I bent and switched back to the Sram pc99 chain.I rode it about 200 miles and didn't bend it.Shifting was a little funky due to my not quite perfect repair.I was a little more careful how I shifted,but power shifting is hard to avoid where I ride unless I concentrate on shifting all the time(I'd rather check out the wildflowers!).I haven't bent those cogs again so I bought a new one and it been fine so far.Boycott Shimano chains!!!

xt,xtr8sp,dura ace,ultegra,lots of older stuff

[May 21, 2003]
Joe P

Strength:

It looked nice and was light

Bent the thing on the first ride

My XT rear deraileur died so I decided to upgrade to a 9spd system. I have been using a XTR 12-32 8spd cassette for the past 4yrs but I didn't want to spend the extra cash for the XTR 9spd and opted for the XT 11-34 9spd. The first thing I noticed was how light the cassette felt. It was definitely lighter than my XTR 8spd. I got the bike back together and on my first ride I ended up bending the 2nd and 3rd cogs from the top. I noticed that Shimano makes the small 11T ring out of steel while the rest are aluminum. I guess they are pretty weak. Kudos to Universal Cycles who allowed me to return the Cassette and get a SRAM in its place.

XTR 12-32 Spd, XT 11-32 8spd & a variety of low budget cassettes

[Jul 16, 2007]
Tommy

Strength:

Light and durable. A little bit heavier than the XTR but it doesnt matter hardly notice. Doesnt bend when used on uphill. Nice style,one look and you can tell its an XT.

This component is strong enough to go uphill. I've tried the XTR cassette, it bent after 2 months of use. Since i'm an xc racer I do lots of uphill ride for training. The XT cassette can handle chain stretching.

sram, shimano lx, shimano xtr

[Sep 27, 2006]
Jim Turner

Strength:

Tough cassette that doesn't bend.

Slightly heavier than the XTR that came with my bike, but worth the switch for durability.

This is a great cassette. It has taken a beating and has stood up. I've slammed it in rock gardens, dropped it from cliffs and hammered it badly. No bends or wear after 3 yrs. Trade your XTR for this one! Buy it if you race, buy it if you don't race. The weight difference is well worth the durability.

XTR ti

[Sep 18, 2002]
Kevin

Strength:

works good. good performance, reatively easy to adjust deraillure to

lifespan (applies to 9 speed cranksets and chains as well in my opinon)

If you're into XC and distance riding the small three gears will have a wear failure at about 1000 miles, roughly the exact same lifespan that the junk and came with the bike had. 8 speed on my old bike went 2200 miles before a similar failure, chain replacement at 500 miles seems excessive to me, I'm shoping for old 8 speeds. Until the failure it was a great cassette. If you use the whole range of gears it may last longer, but if you're like me you may want to research cheaper stuff.

8 speed, junk that came with bike

[Sep 15, 2003]
dennis calapit

Strength:

it's more lighter than my previous deore 9spd, i guess its more durable co'z i haven't bent any teeth in it

as far as of today, i haven't see anything yet, maybe a couple of decades will.

it's light, it withstand my abuses of some jumping, riding on rough sandy terrain, some muddy trails. it a far cry cheaper than its sibling xtr though i guess it works the same. if your on a tight budget and want's a high performing piece then this one's for you.

shimano deore 9spd

[Apr 18, 2003]
Rob T

Strength:

Shifts good,these can be found at most any shop

Cogs bend real easy with Shimano chains.

1st one lasted a year before I bent it.2nd(and last)bent on the 1st ride.My bike is set up such that I can clean just about any steep hill that I put my will into conquering,I try not to shift under load,but sometimes I can't help it when it gets steep and technical.The Shimano chains shift so fast I think that they can put a lot of load onto the cogs during a power shift.I didn't seem to have these problems when I used the Sram chains(59or99).I'm going to try to straighten these and use a Sram chain to see if it lasts longer on my backup bikes.I'm going back to the XTR 8sp set up on my long technical rides until I'm convinced I can set up the 9sp reliably.I think I'm stronger than I've been for quite awhile(100mi/week) and maybe I've gotten a little sloppy shifting under power,but I rarely break chains.I think these cassettes should be made tougher for the average guy.I was only attracted for the 34t cog.I didn't really see the need for an extra cog.Maybe it's just the chain but doesn't Shimano design this as a system?1 flamer for bending,3 for lasting a year with SRAM chain.

XTR 8SP Great!(lasts forever)

[Apr 09, 2003]
Kevin

Strength:

It works good right up until it breaks

1000 mile lifespan, as compaired to 2200 miles for older 24 speed XT's (I am talking about tooth wear failure)

I think mega 9 was designed by buisness people not engineers, Shimano has probably doubled their replacements parts sales on this garbage. I ride long distance and this cassette lasts about 1000 miles then the teeth deform and it won't hold a chain, however the non-spider cheapy that came with he bike went the same distance. This go around I'm going to try replacing the chain at 500 miles and see what that does. On the 24 speeds you were supposed to change the chain at 1000 miles, and before I learned that I had a tooth wear failure at 2200 miles, so I figure half the lifespan = chain replace.

9 speed el-cheapo that came with the bike, 24 speed XT