Shimano LX Cogset Cassette

Shimano LX Cogset

endfreq   Weekend Warrior [Oct 07, 2008]
Strength:

Never had a skip I couldn't tune out of it.
Least inexpensive cassette worth a s#!t.
Minimal wear after 5 years of commuting on it.

A bit on the heavy side, but more metal = longer wear.

If weight isn't a huge issue, this is the one you should buy.
If you compete all of the time and must shave off every gram then why are you reading this review?
Personally I've never had a problem with the cassette or drivetrain for that matter, but the bike it's on was a daily commuter which was relegated to baby-hauling duty (2/3 times a week). No hard offroad, so grain of salt people.
Best value IMHO and the most maintenance-free drivetrain I've ever had. Recommended

Similar Products Used: Mostly other Shimano series. XT, low end stuff like Alivio that gets swapped out quick. No discernable shifting difference between XT + LX that I could tell.
pill   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2008]
Strength:

Quite durable. Shifts well.cost not so much. Rust-free.

none so far

I am Using an CS-M580 cassete. No complaints at all. Use it with HG-93 chain. No rust at all. It is fully serviceable. The 32tooth ster can be removed to obtain a lower weight (and 8-speed transmission).

XT is a lighter-one. It has the same material of the chainrings, but the chainrings are on a spider. So the XT cassete cannot be disassembled. XT has much greater performance while pushing dirt through itself. It is practically opened, so has a greater mud clearence.

As usual - had to replace chain after 2000km. First 200-300 km with the new chain cassete get groundet. So some sprocket jumping took place as an issue. It is all okay now. I will change the chain to a neew one again after 2000km. and so on. 3 chains. And then i'll re-circle the used chains.

Similar Products Used: CS-M770; HG-40
Tristan Skolrud   Racer [Dec 02, 2001]
Strength:

Shifts great, had a little problems at first with abrubt sprinting but once I got it adjusted a little bit, it worked like a charm. It's a little heavy for racing use, but for general riding, you can't get any better for the money.

Weight

Great for the money

Ash   Cross Country Rider [Feb 17, 2002]
Strength:

??

wears out quick, prone to rust, heavy-ish

This item came with the bike as standard and wore out after only 8 months!!!! Tends to get a little rusty even with careful cleaning and lubricating. I would have expected a MUCH longer life than 8 months from Shimano!!!

Similar Products Used: replaced it with a SRAM 7.0 we'll see how that goes
dave   Cross Country Rider [Mar 25, 2007]
Strength:

price, durability

I read so many reviews about drivetrain problems, one must realize that you do have to replace the chain periodically use a park chain wear tool and you will find your drive train will last a lot longer typically 5 or 6 chains before the other stuff wears out, that is thousands of miles.the LX cassete is my favorite much more durable than anything lighter be it shimano or sram, fact is the lighter cassettes wear out faster, if you race and every gram counts then go for lighter cassette, the lx shifts well to..but hey I know how to tune and maintain a drivetrain.

Similar Products Used: sram, shimano xt
John   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 2001]
Strength:

Unbreakable. This cassette is strong.

Several grams heavier than a POS XT cassette.

The heck with XT cassettes.. I rode mine for less than a mile road test. It was noisy, and the chain clicked madly in all gears under cranking pressure. Tried a new shimano chain ( I use SRAM PC99 ) cause it was a cheap way to determine if my chain was worn out... NOPE.. CLICKY maddenly noisy. XT cassette seems crappy. Never had a problem with my LX, so I put it back on the bike, the hell with the weight saving, I would rather ride than break down in the woods. My next cassette, will be LX, unless SRAM can make a good 9 speed cassette by then.

Similar Products Used: XT
sieveboy   [Nov 19, 2001]
Strength:

Price, durability

This product holds up well and shifts great. I have used the LX with two SRAM 69 chains, replacing the chains when signs of wear show up. The LX is still running strong with its third chain!

Daniel Frost   Weekend Warrior [Nov 15, 2001]
Strength:

Works, smooth, good valu, almost no competition

none for the price.

Cost me £25uk, equivalent of $37us, hasnt let me down, hasnt worn hasnt done anything wrong, and even if it did, u have to hunt for SRAM like gold dust in this country.

Unless ur a weight obsessional, this will do fine and if du happen to abuse it, it wont bankrupt u getting another one.

Similar Products Used: None, SRAM simply dont bother with the UK market
Kenny Danner   [Jun 10, 1996]

I used the LX cog set on my bike and did not have any problems with it. Shimano ususally does a good job on their products. If you are not looking to spend more money on an XT cog set then I would go for the LX. They are good and dependable.

Nick Fenton   Racer [Aug 04, 1999]
Strength:

REALLY INEXPENSIVE*****
GREAT*****
W0RKS JUST AS WELL AS XT*****

It'ss kind of heavy but good price!

I loved it, it's cheap and workes great but it likes to suck mud way down inbetween the rings and it's heavy but Xt is lighter but way! more expensive. If your wondering about getting this casset do so unless your a cross country racer and your bike allredy weighs alot,*****Bottom Line Buy It Unless You Race******* I give it a 4 because it's a little heavy